• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newsagant/Tobacconist in Burbury Street?

Mayfield

Burbury Brummie
In the mid 60's I worked for a couple of old spinster sisters that owned a papershop/tobacconists opposite Burbury Park (refer to photograph from previous thread). Their shop was next door to Adams' Sweetshop. On the corner of Defford Road is the Barber Shop.

Unfortunately age is taking over and the 'grey matter' between my ears is getting forgetful - can anyone give me their names please?:) Mabz

In the mid 60's I worked for a couple of old spinster sisters that owned a papershop/tobacconists opposite Burbury Park (refer to photograph from previous thread). Their shop was next door to Adams' Sweetshop. On the corner of Defford Road is the Barber Shop.

Unfortunately age is taking over and the 'grey matter' between my ears is getting forgetful - can anyone give me their names please?:) Mabz

the above was no. 13 burbury street and also at that address were beatrice and francis woolley :)

the above was no. 13 burbury street and also at that address were beatrice and francis woolley :)

Does anyone have information on a tobacconists that was situated in Burberry Street pre 2nd world war and was subsequently bombed.?

Looking at Kellys for 1940 and 1943, and seeing any businesses that might be described as tobacconists that disappeared in that time, there appear to be two:
Mrs Carrie Jane Joynt, shopkeeper 264 Burbury St
Mrs Florence Cooke, newsagent,266 Burbury St
The fact that these two are next door to each other might indicate that both were destroyed at that time
Mike

Thanks, since posting l have found a photograph and the number of the shop was 208 owned by the Mackies what l am trying to find out is how they came to live there
Vonnie

Back