• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newman's Coffin Works Tours

Petal

proper brummie kid
Please see latest post as more tours have been released.

Hi All,

I am a volunteer for the Birmingham Conservation Trust and I thought that users of this forum may be interested in a very special heritage event that the Trust is running later this month. For the first time this October (26 Oct - 3rd Nov) Birmingham Conservation Trust invites you toexplore the
Newman BrothersCoffin Fitting Works in theJewellery Quarter at twilight.

This Grade II-listed factory was opened in the early 19[SUP]th[/SUP] Century and closed its doors in 1998, but its contents and equipment remained in the building leaving a remarkable time capsule of Victorian manufacturing.

We welcome you to joinus for a rare 'behind the scenes' candlelit tour of this Grade II* listedbuilding before restoration work begins in the New Year. Find out about themanufacturing processes that were used to produce the decorations for thecoffins of Princess Diana and Winston Churchill and handle samples of originalstock. Hear stories about the workers and this family-run business; life in aVictorian factory and the unfortunate incident of cyanide poisoning...

Tickets cost £10 (+ booking fee but include a warm drink) and all proceeds go to Birmingham Conservation Trust for the restoration project.

For more information and to book please see the following link https://www.eventelephant.com/birminghamconservationtrust or message me for more information. Coffin Fitting Works Twilight Tours Poster (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sistersue61

master brummie
Thanks for that Petal, will have to see when I am free that week, its half term over here in Tamworth and also my daughters graduation midweek, but it sounds like a great event.
Sue

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
We should get a few of us together on one of the tours. Only 12 per tour though

Last edited:

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i would think its run like the back to backs tours froth...12 to a group going at staggered times..prob 15 mins apart..cant be sure on that as i cant see any info..

B

BernardR

OK we are in.

[h=1]Twilight Tours at Newman Brothers Coffin Fitting Works[/h]
Ticket Friday Tour26-Oct-2012GB£8.30GB£0.70
Ticket Saturday Tour27-Oct-2012GB£8.30GB£0.70
Ticket Sunday Tour28-Oct-2012GB£8.30GB£0.70
Ticket Tuesday Tour30-Oct-2012GB£8.30GB£0.70
Ticket Wednesday Tour31-Oct-2012GB£8.30GB£0.70
Ticket Thursday Tour01-Nov-2012GB£8.30GB£0.70
Ticket Friday 2 Tour02-Nov-2012GB£8.30GB£0.70
Ticket Saturday 3 Tour03-Nov-2012GB£8.30GB£0.70

Frothblower

Tour starts at 6.30 ends at 7.45... is this one tour or is their several tours within this time?

B

BernardR

I may be wrong but reading the web page it is one tour per night.

I have sent an email requesting clarification.

Petal

proper brummie kid
Hi Bernie,

It is indeed only one tour per evening with a maximum of 12 people per evening (due to health and safety). The tour lasts approximately one hour. There is only a total of 96 places available during the two weeks the tours are running and this is the last chance to have a tour before restoration work starts in January. During the heritage open days earlier in September we had lots of interest in tours which is what I think has inspired this event along with providing the opportunity for some last minute funraising before the restoration.

If you have emailed in to BCT, Suzanne the event organiser will also provide you with further information and will be happy to answer any questions you have on the tour. I will be at some of the tours helping out as a volunteer, which is why I started this post to raise awareness as the factory really is a unique piece of Birmingham's Industrial heritage.

Best wishes,

Julie (Petal)

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI JULIE;
I Would be very intrested in this venue as i grew up around there and over the years gone bye i recall this factory being filmed and showed around
and it was on a tea time news and stating they was the oldest coffin makers in brum;at that time this would have been in the sixtys
when it appeared on the news of ATV;
on a spirtitual theme its only really old building of there age where you are most likely to come across such things of todays ;
thats my belief going bye past experice,s not that i am expecting it to be just because they was coffin makers ;
but for personal reasons i will book a ticket or two
but also my daughter is a well known medium and she is involved with things like this around brum ;and she as been asked to travel to cornwall for a
building that was known to be spiritual going on,s with another spirital person in the field ;
as i will be going i will speak to her today to asked her if she as the time and and would she like to accompany me along with her husband
to the venue ;as its going bye the theme of the coffin makers yard and bussiness my daughter would not have heard about this factory its abit before her time i think ; but any way i wll b going myself even if she cannot fit it in ; i am sure it will be worth a visit to se behind the scenes
so to speak ; may be our old friend stephen the ghot hunter should come along thats the guy whom visits our forum from time to time ;
have a nice day julie and the rest of our members as well ; astonian ;;;; alan ;

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
just booked 2 for the last tour sat the 3rd november...not going in there by myself lol

lyn

Frothblower

I won't be going myself. Reasons I won't delve into but enjoy yourself Lyn. I don't suppose you'll be able to take photos, that will spoil the candle light effect

Last edited:

Charlie

knows nowt
I went around there during one of the Heritage weekends a couple of years ago (not by candlelight though). It's really interesting and not at all spooky......mwah mwah mwah!!!!

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
I went around there during one of the Heritage weekends a couple of years ago (not by candlelight though). It's really interesting and not at all spooky......mwah mwah mwah!!!!
spooky can be arranged charlie lol..im looking forward to it...restoration starts in january so im not sure as all the artifacts etc will remain so i want to get a look in just in case..

lyn

Shortie

master brummie
Just remember they made coffin furniture (handles, breast plates, etc) not coffins! I went around there a long time ago with Elizabeth Perkins - it felt almost like the workers had just gone off for tea. Shrouds, etc, including one for Villa fans, were all there, just waiting. Seemed very sad.

B

BernardR

OK - We (Linda and I) are booked for the night of the 26th October as we have to fit it in with Linda's work and studying and family commitments. Would be lovely to see other members if possible.

Bernie

B

BernardR

We had only a few dates that worked for us so just went for it. My Granddaughter is coming up with her Mom.