• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newman Tonks - Newtown

My word, the memories are coming back now. There was a really nice Irishman called Kim who worked in the Goods In on Hospital Street, I believe he was a talented musician who played in a band (there was also a chap called Danny Williams who was supposed to be an amazing guitarist). Norman Carless was working in the Repair Shop when I was there. His son in law, Fred Whitehouse worked by the Repair Shop in the Brass Stores. Norman took me under his wing while I was there. I could listen to his stories about his time in the army and Birmingham in the old days for ages. He was very knowledgeable about The Dam Busters and had signed letters from them. I was quick on the up take when I was younger so I worked all over the place, from Tower Street (floor springs), to the panic bolts and spray shop. Harry Fowkes got me driving a fork lift in the rubber doors department (I had to pass a test!) I loved doing the stock takes over the weekend (very nice sandwiches) and I remember being filled with awe when I went upstairs to take something to the R & D department. I went on to get a degree and work in education but I'll never forget those halcyon days and the genuinely nice people I met.

what great memories BB just what a forum such as this thrives on...thank you and keep them coming

lyn

what great memories BB just what a forum such as this thrives on...thank you and keep them coming

lyn
Thank you for your kind comments, Lyn! Funny isn't it, you can go through life but memories of certain people and places remain clear as crystal.

yes BB its strange thats for sure....with me i can remember things that happened..places and people from over 40 years back but ask me what i did last week and im stumped lol

lyn

yes BB its strange thats for sure....with me i can remember things that happened..places and people from over 40 years back but ask me what i did last week and im stumped lol

lyn
Me too but sometimes that can prove to be a blessing!

My word, the memories are coming back now. There was a really nice Irishman called Kim who worked in the Goods In on Hospital Street, I believe he was a talented musician who played in a band (there was also a chap called Danny Williams who was supposed to be an amazing guitarist). Norman Carless was working in the Repair Shop when I was there. His son in law, Fred Whitehouse worked by the Repair Shop in the Brass Stores. Norman took me under his wing while I was there. I could listen to his stories about his time in the army and Birmingham in the old days for ages. He was very knowledgeable about The Dam Busters and had signed letters from them. I was quick on the up take when I was younger so I worked all over the place, from Tower Street (floor springs), to the panic bolts and spray shop. Harry Fowkes got me driving a fork lift in the rubber doors department (I had to pass a test!) I loved doing the stock takes over the weekend (very nice sandwiches) and I remember being filled with awe when I went upstairs to take something to the R & D department. I went on to get a degree and work in education but I'll never forget those halcyon days and the genuinely nice people I met.
I started work at William Newman in 1969 before they merged with Tonks, Walter Rowley and Bloor and Pillar. Started as a junior in Cost Office with Steve Edgley and was relief telephonist with Marjorie Coop. George Crowley was commissioner until everything changed and large reception area was built where Marjorie and I became receptionists/telephonists. Worked there until I left to have my first child with my husband Duncan Corbett who also worked there. Great memories of so many people.

Was your Husband the same Duncan who owned Charter Hardware at Willenhall...

Can you give him my best wishes, Jim Pritchard ex window &door service and ex Door Spring Repair Service,
Thank You
Jim

Doing fine and living in North Wales by the sea. Good luck to all of you...

Hi - I posted a thread on 'William Newman and Sons' last night (first time I had ever come across this forum) and hadn't seen this thread before - Hope Sue and Duncan are well - it's crazy - I used to correspond with Instock in Aldridge trying to get favourable Hardware costs to offer some of my clients - not knowing there was someone 'higher up the tree' I should have been talking to. Are you still dealing in hardware or are you taking things easy now? Kindest regards to you both Phil Yate

Last edited:
Hi Roger
You certainly stirred some memories for me! Harry Fowkes was my foreman (were they called supervisors in the late seventies?) when I worked in the Repair Shop on Hospital Street behind the canteen / social club. I remember Ken Wingfield (he was in charge the Spray Shop) and the Clarke brothers (they were Charge Hands, weren't they?). Horace Poole was the works manager and there was a Scottish chap called (Charlie?) McClean who was the Works Engineer at the time. My first job at NT was working as a labourer for George Rutter, taking the Briton casts up to the assembly floor I moved to the Repair Shop. The manager there was Barry Smith who shared the office with Richard and Sandra (apologies, I can't remember their surnames). I left the company in 1981 before it transferred to Walsall but I often have fond memories of my time there.
wow you've just took me back 43 years i used to work in the production control office in 1977. Mike Wardell was my manager then. Steve Matthews

Steve, was your father George Matthews? George was a really nice bloke who worked in the Briton stores and often had me in stitches.
Sorry Steve, It was George Rogers I was thinking of.
(Is there a way of deleting posts if errors have been made?)

Last edited:

My dad is Danny Williams the guitarist, he worked there when I was a kid. He played in bands until his late 60s.

i started work at william newmans and sons started 7th january 1963. i worked with stan haywood (foreman) harry fowkes, ken wingfield , hodson brothers,clarke brothers, and more. i started as machine operater and then became a toolsetter , i set all the machines producing briton door closer parts. 1966 transfered to wallsall apprentice. was at walsall till 1999 was made redundant when ingersoll rand took over i was the works engineer
Hi Roger. I just put my grandads name into Google and ended up on here,His name was Harry Fowkes ..Regards adrian

My dad is Danny Williams the guitarist, he worked there when I was a kid. He played in bands until his late 60s.
Hi Roger
You certainly stirred some memories for me! Harry Fowkes was my foreman (were they called supervisors in the late seventies?) when I worked in the Repair Shop on Hospital Street behind the canteen / social club. I remember Ken Wingfield (he was in charge the Spray Shop) and the Clarke brothers (they were Charge Hands, weren't they?). Horace Poole was the works manager and there was a Scottish chap called (Charlie?) McClean who was the Works Engineer at the time. My first job at NT was working as a labourer for George Rutter, taking the Briton casts up to the assembly floor I moved to the Repair Shop. The manager there was Barry Smith who shared the office with Richard and Sandra (apologies, I can't remember their surnames). I left the company in 1981 before it transferred to Walsall but I often have fond memories of my time there.
Hi Harry Fowkes was my Grandfather..I am Adrian

i started work at william newmans and sons started 7th january 1963. i worked with stan haywood (foreman) harry fowkes, ken wingfield , hodson brothers,clarke brothers, and more. i started as machine operater and then became a toolsetter , i set all the machines producing briton door closer parts. 1966 transfered to wallsall apprentice. was at walsall till 1999 was made redundant when ingersoll rand took over i was the works engineer
Harry Fowkes was my grandfather

Back