• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newman Bros Coffin Works Fleet Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
im looking forward to going again as well rosie...wonder if they managed to get the drop forge working again...hope so

thanks for the heads up bernie..

lyn

B

BernardR

Re: Newman bros coffin fitting works..

Drop forge has been refitted Lyn I put your name down to try it out.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
Went past this today! Looks good!

You can access it from Lionel Street to Fleet Street (past the modern hotel)

Also seen from the canal!

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member

If you'd have said to people 20 years ago that a factory that made coffin furniture would become one of the places to visit on the Birmingham map, who'd have believed you? Just shows what can be done with a bit of imagination, lots of enthusiasm enthusiasm and the necessary cash. Looks interesting. Would like to see the artefacts when the museum opens. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member

Ha, ha Mike. But it is early days in the season! Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rosie

brummie
Those wooden stairs look a bit difficult with my dodgy knees! Is there an alternative route? If not I will just stay downstairs....not long too long to wait now.
rosie.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
does anyone have any info on the opening times and prices as i cant find anything on the web about it...

lyn

the smiths

master brummie
Hi Lyn there is lots of information on there twitter page but in case you don't go on twitter here is some information for you.

Tel 0121 233 4790 (Newman Bros Booking Line)
[email protected]
Facebook/thecoffinworks

Monday, Closed

Tuesday-Thursday 10am-12 noon

12 noon-3pm Guided tours on the hour.
3-30-5pm self guided tours.

Late night opening on a Thursday tours at 5pm and 6pm.

Friday-Saturday
10am-12noon Self guided tours
12noon-3pm Guided tours on the hour.
3-30pm-5pm Self guided visits.

Tuesday is community day Free Admission for Residents of.....Aston, Soho, Ladywood, and Nechells with proof of residency/ postcode (eg Bank Statement, Utility Bill.

Please pre book tour to avoid disappointment by phone or email, newmanbrotherscoffinworks.org.

I think that covers most of the information but have a look on Twitter very interesting.

Adults....£5.00.
Concession....£4.00.
Child (5-16....£3.00.
Children under 5 free..

Last edited:

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
What's a matter with my wife. She says I'm morbid for wanting to go there. She want's to get a life. lol