• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newey

If anyone is interested in wireworking /pinmaking industry and or has a connection with the newey brothers lmtd. I would whole heartedly suggest buying a copy of the "pinmakers to the world:the newey group". It has photos/portraits of the owners of "newey company" owners Richard newey . James newey james George newey. James clement newey and some more modern owners too.

Hi. James George Newey was my 3 x great Uncle. His father James Newey (b1768) was my 4 x great grandfather. I had no idea that James George Newey was connected with Newey & Ayre. Would willing share any information I have :)
I am researching the Newey family. I believe it's a branch which connects to Newey Bros. but not certain. Happy to hear from anyone and share info. Hoping thread not too old.

Hi. James George Newey was my 3 x great Uncle. His father James Newey (b1768) was my 4 x great grandfather. I had no idea that James George Newey was connected with Newey & Ayre. Would willing share any information I have :)
If you're still around and still interested I would love to share information. Hubby's several times GGm was Selina Newey daughter of John and his first wife. John's second wife was Jane Cotterill b Wolverhampton, daughter of Samuel Cotterill the corkscrew designer and manufacturer. I know they travelled to the US where two of their sons were born. John's occupation was Brass Founder. I don't know the reason for their visits but maybe representing Samuel or maybe representing Newey.

Hi,
I’m just starting out tracing my Newey Ancestry. My mum was Joan Mary Newey, unfortunately she passed away in August last year and it has motivated me to search her ancestry....I do wish I had asked her more but she had many childhood memories of visiting her grandparents (they were living in Stamford Hill by then) I believe Herbert Alpha was her great grandfather. I would really appreciate any advice or information as I’m completely new to genealogy! Hopefully this post link isn’t too old.

Welcome to the forum, Alawer,
I am afraid that some contributors on the thread are either passed away ("lost but not forgotten") or no longer members of the forum. The latter might still view your message, but could only reply by rejoining

Hi,
I’m just starting out tracing my Newey Ancestry. My mum was Joan Mary Newey, unfortunately she passed away in August last year and it has motivated me to search her ancestry....I do wish I had asked her more but she had many childhood memories of visiting her grandparents (they were living in Stamford Hill by then) I believe Herbert Alpha was her great grandfather. I would really appreciate any advice or information as I’m completely new to genealogy! Hopefully this post link isn’t too old.

You're not alone in wishing they'd asked more questions of parents/grandparents.

Gather as much information as you can before you start. Be careful of making assumptions or taking family stories as gospel.

Genealogy is much easier than it used to be and if the names you are researching are not too common (Smith, Jones etc) can be straight forward. There are many websites - Ancestry, findmypast, freebmd and more - that have many records. Some are free, some are available at libraries and some offer free trials.

It can be both fun and frustrating. If you need more advice or help there are many members on here who have many areas of knowledge who can help.

You're not alone in wishing they'd asked more questions of parents/grandparents.

Gather as much information as you can before you start. Be careful of making assumptions or taking family stories as gospel.

Genealogy is much easier than it used to be and if the names you are researching are not too common (Smith, Jones etc) can be straight forward. There are many websites - Ancestry, findmypast, freebmd and more - that have many records. Some are free, some are available at libraries and some offer free trials.

It can be both fun and frustrating. If you need more advice or help there are many members on here who have many areas of knowledge who can help.
Thank you so much for replying. I have a feeling this endeavour is going to keep me occupied for some time :)

And if your mom was the daughter of Arthur William Reuben Newey and Dorothy Haylock, then it does appear that her great grandfather was Herbert Alpha Newey.

Arthur William Reuben (b1898) son of Arthur William George (b1873) son of Herbert Alpha (b1851).

And if your mom was the daughter of Arthur William Reuben Newey and Dorothy Haylock, then it does appear that her great grandfather was Herbert Alpha Newey.

Arthur William Reuben (b1898) son of Arthur William George (b1873) son of Herbert Alpha (b1851).
Yes Dorothy was my maternal grandmother . I think Thomas Henry was Herbert’s father... but I haven’t got any further back yet.

Thanks Christine - I have that info already from the IGI. Yes, they are unusual names - Herbert Alpha had a son called Alpha Herbert! I would love to find more info about their parents Thomas and Susan, and also their descendents. My g-grandfather was Herbert Alpha's son - Herbert George Walter Newey, bn 25.12.1870, also in B'ham.
anyway - thanks for such a prompt reply! :)
Hi, not sure if you are still on the forum. ..but just wanted to let you know that Herbert Alpha’s other son Arthur William George is my 2nd Great Grandfather.
Do you have any information on Thomas Henry, Herbert Alpha’s Father?
it would be great to hear from you. I’ve only just started looking into my Newey ancestry.
Alison

I'm a member of the Newey clan, Grandfather Edgar Newey, my late father- Arthur Alfred , all born in Bham but I have no idea if any are linked to the other names on this thread

I'm a member of the Newey clan, Grandfather Edgar Newey, my late father- Arthur Alfred , all born in Bham but I have no idea if any are linked to the other names on this thread
I had no idea the Neweys had such a strong heritage and link to Birmingham. It’s going to be so interesting to delve deeper into their story. Thank you for replying.

I had no idea the Neweys had such a strong heritage and link to Birmingham. It’s going to be so interesting to delve deeper into their story. Thank you for replying.
One of our relatives (John Newey) researched our Newey family tree many years ago, long before the internet made it easier, unfortunately we lost contact with him in the 1980's but he managed to get quite a way back as I recall

Do you have any information on Thomas Henry, Herbert Alpha’s Father?
it would be great to hear from you. I’ve only just started looking into my Newey ancestry.
Alison

I think you can go back a couple of more generations before it gets tricky. Thomas Henry was baptised St Mary's, Handsworth the son of Thomas Newey and Maria Jones.

Thomas Newey was born in Harborne, possibly the son of John Newey and Dorothy Clift.

Then it becomes uncertain.

I think you can go back a couple of more generations before it gets tricky. Thomas Henry was baptised St Mary's, Handsworth the son of Thomas Newey and Maria Jones.

Thomas Newey was born in Harborne, possibly the son of John Newey and Dorothy Clift.

Then it becomes uncertain.
Wow, thank you

To try to confirm that Thomas Henry Newey's father was the Thomas Newey b1800 Harborne you would need to see the marriage record (available on Ancestry) and hopefully his (father) occupation is listed as a cooper.

Dorothy Newey (Clift) appears to have been the landlady of the King's Arms in Harborne. Mentioned in her death notice in Aris's Birmingham Gazette (9 Aug 1847). And it may have been associated with the Newey's previously.

To try to confirm that Thomas Henry Newey's father was the Thomas Newey b1800 Harborne you would need to see the marriage record (available on Ancestry) and hopefully his (father) occupation is listed as a cooper.

Dorothy Newey (Clift) appears to have been the landlady of the King's Arms in Harborne. Mentioned in her death notice in Aris's Birmingham Gazette (9 Aug 1847). And it may have been associated with the Newey's previously.
Just signed up to ancestry, so I’ll take a look. Really appreciate your assistance, thank you

More snippets.

As you're probably aware Thomas Alpha Newey appears to have abandoned his wife. In 1881 he is living with a Rose Alinda Thompson who is listed as his wife. He seems to have had at least 2 sons with her and then seems to have abandon her also, he's not with her on any census afterwards.

There are a number of newspaper articles about him and it appears he was sent to prison in 1885. Possibly resulting in him being the father of another son.

Last edited:

have i missed a year for this marriage and who was it thomas henry married

lyn

More snippets.

As you're probably aware Thomas Alpha Newey appears to have abandoned his wife. In 1881 he is living with a Rose Alinda Thompson who is listed as his wife. He seems to have had at least 2 sons with her and then seems to have abandon her also, he's not with her on any census afterwards.

There are a number of newspaper articles about him and it appears he was sent to prison in 1885. Possibly resulting in him being the father of another son.
I did pick up on this. Always bound to find a few unsettling things on the journey...

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
That's right, Thomas Henry Newey married Susan Brown 13 Dec 1844 St Phillip's, Bham.

I think his father was Thomas Newey who married Maria Jones 29 Dec 1824 Harborne.

hi alawer dont know if you correct or not ..i can however find a marriage for a thomas henry newey on 13th dec 1844 to a susan brown at st philips..address of thomas is newtown row and his occuption is coffin maker...his father is thomas newey occupation gift toy maker. one of the witnesses was elizabeth newey..if you want me to post the marr cert just let me know

lyn

• Appreciate
That's unfortunate (or fortunate) as it probably rules out Thomas Newey and Maria Jones as his parents.

Or I should say it probably rules out the Thomas Newey born in Harborne, he was a Cooper.

The baptism for Thomas Henry Newey at Handsworth is almost certain to be correct because the, father Thomas Newey, is listed as a Gilt Toy Maker

Last edited:
here is the marr cert anyway

Attachments

• thomas henry newey marr 1844.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • Appreciate
On the 1841 census there is a Thomas Newey (age 60ish) living on New Town Row. He is a Gilt Toy Maker and with him is an Elizabeth Newey. Daughter or wife, not sure.

On the 1841 census there is a Thomas Newey (age 60ish) living on New Town Row. He is a Gilt Toy Maker and with him is an Elizabeth Newey. Daughter or wife, not sure.
well that sounds like the ones on the marr cert i posted but are they the correct family you are looking for...have to admit ive not followed this thread i was only helping out with the cert you thought may help

lyn

well that sounds like the ones on the marr cert i posted but are they the correct family you are looking for...have to admit ive not followed this thread i was only helping out with the cert you thought may help

lyn

They appear to be, the marriage certificate you posted is the right one.

The original query was about Hebert Alpha Newey, who turned out to be the son of a Thomas Henry Newey and a Susan Brown.

A possibility for the parents of Thomas Henry were Thomas Newey b1801 Harborne and his wife Maria (Jones?) but you've proved that unlikely.

Thank you, You’ve both been so helpful, I can’t believe how much progress I’ve made. Although There doesn’t seem to be any connection to the Newey Bros etc. I did wonder if there was any connection given the surname and location of the family.

Back