• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newey Goodman Ltd Robin Hood Lane

Thanks for replying. I would really love to see photos of Miss Renouf as she would be my 2nd cousin and we know nothing much about her or what she looks like. She and her Mum are really family mysteries and we would dearly love to know more about them but keep hitting the inevitable wall! It is a mystery why her mum changed their names to Renouf as Marjorie was born and christened Honey, her mum being the wife of my Great Uncle Stewart Honey and as far as we can find out never re-married. Any information you have and photos would be gratefully received. Many thanks Sally

I believe my grandmother, Ada Walton, worked for that company from wartime until her retirement around 1958 or 59. I never knew what she did but I gather she must have liked working there, just for the sake of it, as she apparently never opened her wage packets until there was a change in the banknotes in the early 1960's and she needed them exchanged for new notes

Hello Sally B . Please let me know if you are still actively seeking info about Miss Renouf and George Goodman as I can add a good deal to what already appears in this thread.

I don't know whether this thread is still active. I remember the name Miss Renouf and I am sure I met her as she came round to our house in Solihull from time to time. I think she was the secretary for my father Frank Lane who was Export Sales Director for Newey Goodman in Robin Hood Lane. He died in 1972 so unfortunately I can'f confirm this. However I do remember that Miss Renouf was a legendary secretary - one of those good souls who was totally dependable. Indeed her name was always mentioned with an aura. I do have some photographs and she may be on them but I am not sure. I used to visit the factory on some Saturday mornings in the 1960s when my father had to go in to catch up. It was an Alladins cave running round all the pin presses - Health and Safety would have a fit now. The factory has now disappeared and the roads on the housing estate are named after the previous owners (Goodman, Newey). I kept in contact with David Jackson until he died a few years ago and Martin Newey was at the funeral.

I worked for Newey at the time of their takeover of George Goodman and was therefore part of the office staff that moved to Goodman's office block in Robin Hood Lane . At that time Graham Goodman was managing director , David Jackson was sales director , and I am almost certain that Frank Lane was company secretary . Newey's company secretary , Brian Whitehouse , took over as company secretary of the new company , Newey Goodman , and at this stage Frank Lane became export sales director . I worked for a while under Mr Lane , as I called him , and he was a really wonderful man . A perfect English gentleman , he had a fine sense of humour and endless patience . Marjorie Renouf was certainly Graham Goodman's secretary but she was also secretary to Messrs Jackson and Lane prior to the takeover . Miss Renouf was a tall elegant woman , very laid back , very efficient , with a fine sense of humour and a permanent pleasant smile . Her voice was very distinctive , having no trace of accent and being pitched a little lower than an average woman's voice .

Welcome to the forum Mal and thanks for posting the details of Newey staff. Hopefully Sally B will pick up on your post as I'm sure she'd be interested in you memories of Miss Renouf. Enjoy the forum. Viv.

Hello is anyone interested
I worked at newey Bros Hall green
Started at Summer lane as a apprentice for a year then 1970 was sent to Hall green and worked in the tool room making machine parts the factory made safety pins hair grips and press studs .the grounds had a cricket pitch out building contained snoker table and dart board. Happy memories of this time..

Would anyone have any information regarding this company? ie what it produced etc. My Great Aunt worked there as a PA/Secretary until just before her death in 1986. Her name was Marjorie Renouf and I know very little about her other than she lived in Keddleston Road. Many thanks in anticipation. Sally B
Hello Sally B, I may be 9 years too late, but I've just been searching to find out what happened to Newey Goodman Ltd and saw the message you wrote in 2011. I worked at Newey Goodman's from 1969 to 1971 as secretary to Mr Frank Lane, who at that time was a Director and General Sales Manager. I do remember Margorie Renouf, but unfortunately I can't remember which Director she worked for. Someone suggested it might be David Jackson, but his secretary was Mrs Edna Smith, who I shared an office with. As I was only 23 at the time and Margorie Renouf was considerably older than me, I did not know her well, but I can still remember what she looked like. If Mr Lane's son Ian did pass any photos to you I would almost certainly be able to identify her if she is in them. She was very tall and upright, with brown, slightly curly hair and I visualise her smiling gently with an air of calmness and efficiency. Our offices were on the first floor overlooking the road and were very quiet, apart from the sound of our typewriters. We sometimes had to go down to the factory, which was situated behind the offices, to get samples of various haberdashery items to send off with our letters and I still remember how chaotic/busy it was there and how extremely noisey all the machines were. Happy days.
Kind regards, Julia

Hello Sally B, I may be 9 years too late, but I've just been searching to find out what happened to Newey Goodman Ltd and saw the message you wrote in 2011. I worked at Newey Goodman's from 1969 to 1971 as secretary to Mr Frank Lane, who at that time was a Director and General Sales Manager. I do remember Margorie Renouf, but unfortunately I can't remember which Director she worked for. Someone suggested it might be David Jackson, but his secretary was Mrs Edna Smith, who I shared an office with. As I was only 23 at the time and Margorie Renouf was considerably older than me, I did not know her well, but I can still remember what she looked like. If Mr Lane's son Ian did pass any photos to you I would almost certainly be able to identify her if she is in them. She was very tall and upright, with brown, slightly curly hair and I visualise her smiling gently with an air of calmness and efficiency. Our offices were on the first floor overlooking the road and were very quiet, apart from the sound of our typewriters. We sometimes had to go down to the factory, which was situated behind the offices, to get samples of various haberdashery items to send off with our letters and I still remember how chaotic/busy it was there and how extremely noisey all the machines were. Happy days.
Kind regards, Julia

Hi Julia. I was browsing and saw your reply. I enclose 3 photos which you may find of interest. I thought Miss Renouf was the tall one in the wedding photo? My parents are on the left of the photo. Do you know any of the people in the warehouse photo? My father died in1972 and my mother 14 years later. David Jackson became Managing Director and i kept up with him until he died. The factory is now a housing estate but I do remember the very loud pressing machines in the factory floor. I still occasionally see tins of pins with "Dorcas" on the label!

Best wishes

Ian

Attachments

• IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1069.JPG
    IMG_1069.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 53
Hi Julia. I was browsing and saw your reply. I enclose 3 photos which you may find of interest. I thought Miss Renouf was the tall one in the wedding photo? My parents are on the left of the photo. Do you know any of the people in the warehouse photo? My father died in1972 and my mother 14 years later. David Jackson became Managing Director and i kept up with him until he died. The factory is now a housing estate but I do remember the very loud pressing machines in the factory floor. I still occasionally see tins of pins with "Dorcas" on the label!

Best wishes

Ian
Hello Ian
Thank you for attaching the three photos. When I worked at Newey Goodmans, 1969 to 1971, Miss Renouf was considerably older than the tall lady in the wedding photo so, although I guess it could be her, I'm afraid I don't recognise her. I do recognise your father on the right of the factory photo, and I'm not sure but possibly Mr Jackson standing next to him, but sorry I don't know who the others are. Yes, I should probably have described the factory as 'very loud' rather than chaotic too. Your father had become ill and started working from home around the time that I left. It's hard to believe it was so many years ago.
Kind regards
Julia

Hi I used to work at Newey Goodman's making nappy pins around 1978 -1981? As others have said I have very fond memories of working there from the comradery to the canteen which was great.
As I am coming up to retirement age I remember paying into a pension scheme and wondered if anyone had any idea of how to find out any information on claiming it. I know its along shot and probably not worth the effort but just thought it'd ask? :)

This seems to be the company that took over the business when the land was sold for development - I don't know if their Accounts Department might have any idea (possibly not but worth a phone call!)

Laughton and Sons​

Warstock Road
Warstock
Birmingham
B14 4RT
United Kingdom

+44 121 436 6633

Activities​

Manufacturing | Packaging | Colour Cosmetics | Hair Care

This seems to be the company that took over the business when the land was sold for development - I don't know if their Accounts Department might have any idea (possibly not but worth a phone call!)

Laughton and Sons​

Warstock Road
Warstock
Birmingham
B14 4RT
United Kingdom

+44 121 436 6633

Activities​

Manufacturing | Packaging | Colour Cosmetics | Hair Care
Laughtons didnt take over Newey , Newey sold the Haircare side of the business to Laughtons and concentrated on the Haby side and the sale funded moving everything to Tipton , doubt that Laughtons would be any help regarding pensions.
Cannot recall who might be able to help regarding pension admin but perhaps the first start should be the Gov site as above post.----Good luck..

I worked for Newey at the time of their takeover of George Goodman and was therefore part of the office staff that moved to Goodman's office block in Robin Hood Lane . At that time Graham Goodman was managing director , David Jackson was sales director , and I am almost certain that Frank Lane was company secretary . Newey's company secretary , Brian Whitehouse , took over as company secretary of the new company , Newey Goodman , and at this stage Frank Lane became export sales director . I worked for a while under Mr Lane , as I called him , and he was a really wonderful man . A perfect English gentleman , he had a fine sense of humour and endless patience . Marjorie Renouf was certainly Graham Goodman's secretary but she was also secretary to Messrs Jackson and Lane prior to the takeover . Miss Renouf was a tall elegant woman , very laid back , very efficient , with a fine sense of humour and a permanent pleasant smile . Her voice was very distinctive , having no trace of accent and being pitched a little lower than an average woman's voice .
Hi. Lovely to see the photos. George Goodman was my great grandfather. My grandfather Graham Goodman is in the photo.
Chris

Best wishes

Ian
That’s Graham Goodman on the left.

I wonder if this company had outworkers?

The mother of a school chum, who's father had deserted his mother for a , presumably, younger woman did in, her spare time, the job of affixing ladies hair grips to cards which were for resale to shops and stores. From memory I believe that other small objects, such as safety pins or similar, were also part of the inventory she used.

This, I guess, supplemented her income and 'kept the wolf from the door''.
I remember my mom doing outwork involving carding hairgrips and safety pins around 1953/55 and I did a little bit to help at the age of 7. We lived in Ladywood at the time.

Back