• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newcombe Road, Handsworth

K

Kate

Can anyone tell me what Admin County and Civil parish Newcombe Road would have been when 1901 Census was done?

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie Admin' Team
:D Kate ,I put in a Address search for Newcombe,Birmingham House Name/Road/Street 1901 cen' And the only one it came up with was .

Address Poplar Avenue Newcombe
Administrative County Birmingham
Civil Parish Birmingham
Parish Ecclesiastical Christ Church Summerfield
Parliamentary Borough Edgbaston
Municipal Borough Birmingham
Municipal Ward Rotton Park

Not sure if this is of any help to you :?:

Oisin

gone but not forgotten
Hi Kate,

I think the Newcombe Road you're looking for (Handsworth B21) came under Handsworth UDC, Staffordshire, in 1901.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Paul.

John Young

master brummie
Newcombe Road is definitely HANDSWORTH
My G Aunt Elsie Agnes YOUNG marry JohnJoseph ROLFE &their address
is 223 NEWCOMBE Rd Handsworth on their certificate
A bit late but I just started so hope it helps anyway, All the Best John

gingerjon

master brummie
yes definitely Sandwell Staffordshire
My Nan lived at 113 Newcombe Road it was the fish and chip shop

kenbibb

proper brummie kid
Kate,
I may be a bit late for your reply, Newcombe Rd was definitely in Handsworth Staffordshire in 1901. My father was born at 57 Newcombe in 1908 Registration District West Bromwich, Sub-District Handsworth in the county of Staffordshire. I lived in Greenhill Rd for 25 years and went to school and knocked about with a lot of boys who lived in Newcombe.
By the way, John Houghton I also knew of the Fish & Chip shop and was it your grandmother who fell off the steps cleaning the window?

Cheers Ken Bibb

gingerjon

master brummie
Ken my Nan died in 1942 as to her having a fall I don't know as there is no one to ask now, the family that lived there have all since passed away.
my Aunt May took over the running of the shop when my Nan became to ill to to run it any longer, I believe she had an accident whether it was falling while cleaning the windows I don't know, a previous mail said she had an accident at some time to her pelvic area this would explain her very bad limp
need a time machine if only
any one needing B D M certificates for this area at that time need to apply to The Registrar Sandwell they are very helpful it takes two days to get a certificate

kenbibb

proper brummie kid
John, I am a bit late replying to your message. I did get my facts wrong it was your Aunt May that fell off the step ladder, a short stout lady as I remember with short black hair. I am thinking about 1944-1946. Did you know any boys around that time about 11 to 13? Ken Bibb

L

linett

Hi
A long shot Im sure but does any one remember the Phillips family from 46 Newcombe Road?
Various members of the family lived there from 1912 to at least 1939 possibly longer.... Fred being the last to live there I think.

There was my Ggrandfather Samuel Thomas Phillips
His 2nd wife Harriet
Their children Edith, Elsie, Dorothy (Doris), Samuel, Harold, Grace, Frederick and twins Olive and Oliver.
Visiting would be Charlotte, Lilian, Lavinia, Alice, Lizzie and Florrie his children by his first wife.
Florrie was well known for her crystal ball readings!

regards linett

LindaM

Ken my Nan died in 1942 as to her having a fall I don't know as there is no one to ask now, the family that lived there have all since passed away.
my Aunt May took over the running of the shop when my Nan became to ill to to run it any longer, I believe she had an accident whether it was falling while cleaning the windows I don't know, a previous mail said she had an accident at some time to her pelvic area this would explain her very bad limp
need a time machine if only
any one needing B D M certificates for this area at that time need to apply to The Registrar Sandwell they are very helpful it takes two days to get a certificate
Hi Gingerjohn i hope you dont min but looking at some of your posts I am wondering if we may be related -my maternal family name was Jones and when my mother was growing up they lived in the greengrocers by the WBA ground ,my great aunt Lily and Great ucle Fred lived in the sweet shop and my grandads cousin had the cafe (Teddy Sanford)

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
richard oisin has "gone but not forgotten" under his user name which denotes a member has sadley passed way...in oisins case last november:(

lyn

Staffsyeoman

Brummie babby
Most definitely Handsworth; my Dad was born there, at No.140 in 1926 and (apart from Army service 1944-48) lived there until 1952; he married my Mum (who lived in Farnham Road) in 1949. They moved to Reynolds Road.

Staffsyeoman

Brummie babby
Oh, and 140 was hit by an incendiary in 1940; my grandfather - who was in a reserved occupation but was the street fire warden - went into the roof and extinguished it with a stirrup pump and sandbags. My Dad was home from school on holiday (he was at Coton College in Staffordshire) and remembered carrying the sandbags.