• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

new version installed

I was just looking at a web Forum which was about delivery trucks, principally the former British Road Services. I noticed the photographs had the Photobucket watermark. There are a few here on BHF with that watermark.
I wondered why they were impressing their watermark on BHF Forum photos.
I am guessing, but I think anyone who uses Photobucket for their photograph storage might find their photos appearing with the PB watermark, irrespective of where they post them. I emphasise that this is purely a guess.
I assume it is part of the 'contact' some had when signing up with PB in that the watermark is automatically applied.
I wonder if this is so, or it it just a liberty being taken?

alan i only used PB for a short while when bhf was hacked in 2011 and we lost all of our images...just a stop gap until the forum was sorted out then i stopped using them...as you know sometime this year PB decided that if their users wanted to continue uploading via PB there would be a charge of around £300 a year which is ridiculous...then recently PB decided that all photos uploaded via their site would be have their watermark ..thank goodness i didnt post that many..maybe about 400 before i could return to my usual way of uploading. may i also add that the PB watermark has only appeared on my photos since i refused to pay the £300...if i had the time i could delete and repost without the PB watermark but i just dont have the spare time to find them and repost..thanks for your help phil with some of them

lyn.

I suppose from Photobucket's point of view, every time a post containing a PB image is displayed, the image has to be fetched from the PB server because it is not on the BHF server. This means that some of PB's bandwith is being used when we merely look at a post. With millions of images on PB, the demands on their bandwith must have been high and costly. They annoyed many people in 2017 by blocking images and demanding $399 to remove the block.

At least PB are presently showing the images but with a watermark.

Hi Bill,
It is a Chrome Browser extension which blocks PB from adding the watermark. In the screenshot below you can see I have two installed. PB were obviously not happy about these fixes and managed to get round the 'Photobucket Hotlink Fix' (which I used in 2017 to recover many forum pics) but have not yet found a way round the 'photobucket embed fix' which is the one I recently used.
You might notice I have it switched off when I don't need to use it because it interferes with the forum search in my computer.

In Chrome go to 'Settings', 'More Tools', 'Extensions'.
You can also find it by Googling the following.
chrome extension to block photobucket fix
oldmohawk
WMBlocker1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bill,
It is a Chrome Browser extension which blocks PB from adding the watermark. In the screenshot below you can see I have two installed. PB were obviously not happy about these fixes and managed to get round the 'Photobucket Hotlink Fix' (which I used in 2017 to recover many forum pics) but have not yet found a way round the 'photobucket embed fix' which is the one I recently used.
You might notice I have it switched off when I don't need to use it because it interferes with the forum search in my computer.

oldmohawk
View attachment 129289
Many Thanks OM.

I rarely change my account details etc but looking down the 'What's New' list this morning I noticed a post from an 'ignored member'. Who was that I wondered and checking I found an 'ignore flag' was set for me to ignore (don't show) all posts from someone. I can't remember ever setting an ignore flag at anytime and had to browse the forum settings to find the 'unignore flag' ... all hopefully ok now ...:oops:

Hi Bill,

oldmohawk
View attachment 129289
Photobucket have managed to defeat the method I used to remove their 'proudly hosted on photobucket' banner from pics hot-linked to their site .... so it's back to the (laptop) drawing board ... :cool:

Found a method to make a banner-free replacement pic of any forum pic which still has the 'proudly hosted on photobucket' banner without using Chrome extensions. It's not fast but it works and is probably undetectable by PB. It uses the Google robot which is always searching the BHF and copying pics etc.
The image in post#3390 of the Old street pics has the banner on see
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-street-pics.38737/post-507940

This photo is one in the link posted by OM in post #12. It is on the Old Ladywood web site. I recently mailed Mac Joseph about the date quoted. Very unlikely it is 1969, more like 1949 judging by the cars and the tram tracks. Ladywood route 33 trams were replaced by buses in 1947. Mac Joseph has removed the date from his photo I understand.
1550586612080.png

Back