• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New unseen photos with no locations

Phil
If you mean the black & white one, yes it is one of mine. All the ones I ask about in this thread are mine. Not the coloured one orf rounds though, which looks a bit like a Nicklin one

Last edited:
No Mike I was talking about the B J Rounds one, it's definitely a slide so it's probably one of Phyllis Nicklin's then.

I've had yet another look for that elusive gas holder in post#508. We have generally been successful finding houses but can't find the location of a large gas holder! Did a large factory with furnaces somewhere in Birmingham have its own gas storage facilities? Alcester had a storage gas holder but no significant gas works.

I've had a pleasant aerial tour over the Midlands looking at gas works in photos mostly taken in the years before WW2. There seemed to be a large effort taking photos of gas works which were very much part of town and rural scenes. Unfortunately I can't see the gas holder we are looking for in the list below, but click on any name if you want to see old gas works around the Midlands ... some of them looked nice ...

Bromsgrove 1924
Stafford 1927
Alcester 1928 Gas Storage
Stratford on Avon 1952
Evesham 1935
Stony Stratford 1931
Leamington Spa 1932

Hinckley 1953
Craven Arms 1939
Coventry 1932
Worcester 1934
Smethwick, 1938
Stourbridge 1938

Windsor St Aston 1938
Melton Mowbray 1938
Draycott, 1938
Kidderminster, 1938
Market Drayton, 1938
Wem, 1938
Uttoxeter, 1938
Bromyard, 1938
Tewkesbury, 1938
Pershore, 1938
Tamworth, 1938
Lichfield, 1938
Brownhills, 1938
Cannock, 1938
Hednesford, 1938
Worcester, 1946
Dawley, 1939
Rugeley, 1939
Much Wenlock, 1939
Ironbridge, 1939
Craven Arms, 1939
Ludlow, 1939
Madeley, 1939
Stourport-on-Severn, 1939
Trench, 1939
Welshpool
Wolverhampton, 1936

Last edited:
Great work, OM. I'm partial to the visual effects of a good skeletal gasholder. Here in London we have one of the largest, on the Greenwich peninsula, and a delicately elegant example (Grade II listed) with classical capitals on the slender columns, behind King's Cross station.

With the mention of Edgbaston Street, brought back memories.
I used to work there at Thomas Plant Wholesale Hardware in 1957, and thats where I met my Late Husband.
Happy Memories

hi folks this new thread will show unseen photos i have and also those that mikejee took during 69/73 so we will both be sharing this thread but we need your help to put locations to them..we will give it a couple of days mulling over each photo before posting the next one unless of course the location is sorted before then in which case another one will be posted...once again please feel free to save any of interest and if you want to post them on other forums and sites that is also fine but would appreciate it that if you do you credit them (with thanks to the birmingham history forum..

lyn

here is the first one...i have a feeling thats some of mine will be easy for a lot of you..
The rag market back of the bullring towards the flower market.

hi folks this new thread will show unseen photos i have and also those that mikejee took during 69/73 so we will both be sharing this thread but we need your help to put locations to them..we will give it a couple of days mulling over each photo before posting the next one unless of course the location is sorted before then in which case another one will be posted...once again please feel free to save any of interest and if you want to post them on other forums and sites that is also fine but would appreciate it that if you do you credit them (with thanks to the birmingham history forum..

lyn

here is the first one...i have a feeling thats some of mine will be easy for a lot of you..
It’s the St Martins hotel in the old wholesale market.

I always liked Ludgate Hill, first discovered when I was exploring the city in the early 80s - the sudden tranquillity away from the centre, dipping perhaps to a subterranean stream, then rising gently to St Paul's church and Square. There used to be a good old pub, St Paul's Tavern, on the right of the rise in the photo - and I was disappointed to see that it had gone when I revisited old haunts in 2013: now an Italian restaurant, if I recall correctly.

I used to use The St Paul's Tavern in the mid 70's , that was when I worked in George St . A little chap named John was the manager , I can't remember the woman that helped out behind the bar . She was in her 50's I think , John always had Wednesday nights off to go and fly his kite

Every now and then I look at the forum's 'mystery' pics and the one in the quote below first appeared in 2015. A lot of new members have joined since then so maybe someone will have fresh thoughts ... ;)

Today I happened to look at the old Smethwick gasworks shown in the aerial pic under the quote, but lack of the unusual house in the location rules it out. It did lead me to read interesting information about the history of the site and it 'bumps up' an old interesting thread ...:rolleyes:
Here are another two that have been on before (or possibly I only put one on). The old thread has gone, but we never determined for certain where this gasholder was . It appears to be incomplete, so presumably was being demolished. The pictures are between ones of a wedding and some of the Moseley St area, but are likely to have been taken on a different occasion than either.
12A~0.jpg

11A~0.jpg

Foundry Lane Smethwick 1946 ... the gas holder might have been demolished before the original photos were taken.
gasworks1946.jpg

An interesting thought, but I now believe that I took thta photo a little later than /i had thought, and it is possible that it was the Crossgates,,Norwich site that was suggested earlier

I did look at Crossgates in post#523 with a promising gas holder (two pics) but it was Crossgates in Leeds. I will however have look around Norwich and I know I have posted about that location but not in this thread.

I’ll have another look around Leeds but I think back in 2015 I could not find that house but with foreshortening in camera pics maybe it is further from the gas holders than it looks ... :)

There were three gas holders at Crossgates and two were demolished at some unknown date. The map shows a Nursery area which has since been replaced by a shopping centre.
oldmapcrossgate.jpg

The largest of the gas holders is amazingly still there but although the photo below shows solid horizontal struts, the uprights are also solid. The original photo shows lattice uprights so must be a different gas holder although I've not yet found photos of the gas holders before demolition in order to check the uprights.
CrossgatesGas.jpg

I guess the meat market was pretty close to the Drovers Arms. That area of the city was not one I ventured often. I recalled seeing an old 'photo, on this site I am sure, of sheep being driven in Bradford Street.
The City Meat Market is the large building on the right. It was built in 1897 so quite new when this photo was taken.It cost I £127,833 and covered 3.5 acres. The tower was in fact a water tower and the round building was the Round House where I first started work in 1952. The Architecture was typically Victorian and designed to look more like something from the Middle East. Inside were wrought ironwork pillars and galleries. Today buildings like that would be preserved but the then City Engineer Mr Manzoni swept many of these iconic examples of our past away. If any one has more photos of the market I'd love to see them.

I guess the meat market was pretty close to the Drovers Arms. That area of the city was not one I ventured often. I recalled seeing an old 'photo, on this site I am sure, of sheep being driven in Bradford Street.
I can confirm that sheep and cattle were driven down Bradford st from Fazeley station. I fact in the 1950's I bought livestock in Gloucester market on a Monday morning where they were loaded on to wagons at the railhead adjacent to the market arriving in the City Meat Market by late afternoon. Cattle were driven down Bradford St in herds reminiscent of the Wild West. Occasionally a beast would break away and charge up to the Bull Ring causing consternation among shoppers

Back