• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New unseen photos with no locations

Looks a possibility, I suppose we will have to wait to see if Mike was ever in Solihull.

I decided to have a look at gasholders on 'britainfromabove' and typed 'Gas Works' into the search box and 1073 aerial views from all over Britain became available on my screen. Looked through them all and saw many very good images of gasholders in small towns around Birmingham but unfortunately not the gasholder and buildings in Mike's photo.

If this is the case, the following reference may help in dating:

Clipped from Ray Shill’s Workshop of the World: Birmingham’s Industrial Heritage

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...EwBDgK#v=onepage&q=Solihull Gas works&f=false

The Solihull Gas Works had been established by Solihull Gas Co. in 1869 and came to supply the local area.

They had absorbed Knowle and District Gas Co. in 1935, and during the mid-1950s had taken over the supply to Henley-in-Arden. The demands of supplying the nearby Shadow Aircraft Factory had resulted in complete reconstruction of the gas works with vertical retorts.

Solihull Gas Works were closed in 1962, the year before a new gas-making plant at Coleshill was commissioned.

I'm pretty sure, as far as I remember, I never went to Solihull with a camera. All the photos would have been 1069 at the earliest

After a few days I've revisited this thread. It appears that gasholders were not always sited at gasworks. They were sometimes used to balance supplies in case of a sudden local demand exceeding the capacity of mains supply pipes. Also the gas holder in Mike's pic in post#508 shows solid horizontal ties when almost all gasholder in many pics I have seen have lattice ties.

The gas holder in the the pics below has solid horizontal ties and was originally one of a pair reportedly built in 1900, but one gasholder has long been demolished. Unfortunately I cannot get closer in the first pic view. The second pic faintly shows ariels on top left side probably for remote control or reporting. There has been a lot of demolition around the site with modern warehouses and stores erected.
Gasholder1.JPG
Gasholder2.JPG

The big problem is the gas holder is not in Birmingham, it is in Crossgates, Leeds, Yorkshire, and can be seen from the northern ring road which I have driven along many times.

It was a nice theory while it lasted ... but at least I found a gasholder with solid horizontal ties !

Last edited:
I guess we will have to give up on this one. It must be outside Birmingham somewhere. Actually, after I left Brum in 1973 i was in Leeds for 4 years, but that was definitely after these were taken.
The next on is probably in the jewellery quarter. It was on the roll immediately before oen showing the side of a building in Caroline St

13A.jpg

Well done Vivienne,

Viewfinder. perhaps in the time that Mike took the photo it was mainly used as a loading bay, and the employees had to hop up that large step, but that would be frowned upon by todays Health & Safety Executive.

It's #66 Caroline Street. There's now a reception desk behind the large entrance and there are offices above. Viv.

Thanks Viv. Guess I just never believed it would still be there. The next one was probably taken the same day. Its on the same roll of film, but taken just after on of 67-69 Spencer St.

35A~0.jpg

Just beat me to it Phil

Attachments

• Taylor & Hodgett branston st.JPG
    Taylor & Hodgett branston st.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 40
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 35
You've done it again !! Thank you.
The next one on the roll, immediately after that is the one below. There is an emblem on thw wall , which I have tried to enlarge and sharpen, in case it is familiar,

36A.jpg

36Apart.jpg

Actually I've just answered my own question. Again, the building is still here, and has on the front "The Frank Carpathian Silver Co" at 52 Spencer st. Apparently I sort od turned 180 degrees from the last picture , and possibly moved a few feet

52_spencer_st_from_streetview.jpg

52_spencer_st_from__air.jpg

And so another one. this is again in the jewellery quarter, taken between one of the railway bridge in Vyse St and the corner of Vittoria st and Warstone lane

26A_.jpg

Looks a difficult one but as a first go I'm looking at this 1937 aerial view of Northampton St.

(1) Possibly a round metal extractor to the right of my number 1, there is one in Mike's pic.

(2) A flat roof building with a mock gable end - there appears to be a hint of this in Mike's pic.

(3) A house built right next to the flat roof building.

(4) An entry door similar to the one to the right of the front window in Mike's pic.

Half of today's Northampton St has disappeared under a large building and the building in Mike's pic might have been demolished.

If I am correct I have no idea what business was using the large building, maybe an old map would give information.
Northampton St 1937.JPG

I think you have solved it again. Now you suggest Northampton st I have the picture below (not taken by me) which fits well with your air view and my shot of B J Round & Sons. 7-10 Northampton St

7-10_northampton_st.jpg

Mike,

It was next door to B J Round & Sons Electroplaters on Northampton Street, as has been said there is nothing there left that would identify your photo, but I think without a doubt that this photo is the building next door that you have just caught the edge of on the photo. By the way is this photo one of yours because it's unnamed in my collection and it has all the hallmarks of one of yours.

Sorry mike I got called away halfway through typing this when I returned I just finished typing and hit the post button only see it had already been solved.

Attachments

• Hockley Jewellery Quarter .jpg
    Hockley Jewellery Quarter .jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back