• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New unseen photos with no locations

Great work, folks. Now I get it: the embankment of the reservoir, the sails, and frieze of trees beyond. OldMohawk's eagle-eyed spot of the sailing centre and nearby white building is a good one; can we now nail the identity of the massive building on the horizon? Someone suggested M&B's Cape Hill brewery; time now for an exercise in triangulation!

Last edited:
Concerning the Nicklin photo, it seems to have been taken from about where the red arrow is on the c 1951 map. Therefore the chimney is on the rolling mill site. Later maps c 1970 show it, or the building that succeeded
it, as a rubber goods factory.

map_c1951_area_round_osler_st__icknield_port_road_junc_.jpg

Looking at the angle etc. I reckon it might be from Hyde Road, which was off monument road

map_c_1951_showing_Hyde_road_and_the_corner_of__reservoir.jpg

If its off Monument Road, there were lots of rebuilding etc going on around Ladywood especially Ladywood Middleway and Francis Road. We moved into this area in 1962 and there certainly were loads of demolitions and new builds going on.

Cape Hill Brewery - might give us a rough impression with which to compare the outline. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
well found carol i think you have it spot on..can clearly see the large chimney stack..in mikes photo can only see one tower block on the right but looking at your photo there were at least 3 by the looks of it...at a guess i would think mike was standing in the demolished street/road nearest to the chimney...

lyn

that definitely seems to have been decided, so will put these on. There are five unknown ones, all taken successively on the film. I suspect they are all in the same area, but, other than the last two, which run together, I cannot say definitely that they are in the same area. the first one reminds me of some I took of Lawrence St, but I'm fairly sure, though not certain this is not from there.The shots immediately before were in Wright St Small Heath, and the one after of the brewery in Cato St north, but again I do not know if the fives are from those areas. I have posted them all together as they MIGHT be from the same area, so as to let you know that

25_A.jpg

26B.jpg

27A~0.jpg

And the next two run in to each other , so are definitely the same area.

29A_.jpg

30A~0.jpg

Last edited:
The first and second photos are Woodbine Avenue, off Wright Street. Houses are still there. Some nice decorative features on the houses, sadly now covered in white paint. You can still see the chimney at the end of the Avenue. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 47
thats great viv..its funny that wright st is mentioned got people at 44 wright st on the 1891 census i wonder if the house it still there

lyn

Great spot, Viv; how did you locate that terrace? I reckon the cottages look far more attractive with their original windows and bare brick exposed: yellow brick, apparently, rather than the more common red. There are some unusual details like the decorative frieze under the eaves (there's bound to be an architectural term for this); this is in the third photo, too. In photos 4 and 5, I wonder what is the function of the single-storey structure with a chimney.

Believe it or not, that chimney is a school, Somerville School in Somerville Road. Have no idea why it would need such a large chimney. Used the architectural features and the chimney to spot the terrace. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
thats great viv..its funny that wright st is mentioned got people at 44 wright st on the 1891 census i wonder if the house it still there

lyn

sadly not Lyn. #44Wright St would have been where Small Heath School and Library is now. Viv.

Think #3 might be Charles Street. They are the only houses that I could spot with the similar window features and decoration such as the decoration on the lintels over the door. It's not the houses in these images, but a lot of similarities so might have been in this street. Much has been covered up by paint and changed by later window fittings. The plaque in Mike's original photo is a useful feature but couldn't find any or read the plaque name. Viv.

6 Charles Rd, Birmingham, West Midlands B10 9EU
https://goo.gl/maps/7sIHs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Looking at the photo below from post#410 with just two houses at right angles to the road, the large building close to the house is interesting. A large flat roofed brick building with a lower section with angled wall and then another section lower still appearing to be very close to the house. Aerial photos from 1937 show most of the housing has been demolished but some other types of buildings often survive. It almost looks like the back of a cinema except that no cinemas appear to have been in that area at the date of the photo. I'm looking for that building on the old aerial photos.
30A~0.jpg

Good thinking, OM: the windowless walls of the massive brick building could indicate a cinema. But are we restricted to researching Small Heath? Mike said the frame following this sequence of pictures is from Cato Street North, which is just west of the Saltley Viaduct. Worth looking around there - and his possible route between the two?

I've looked around the Cato St N area and very little survives. It's mostly commercial properties of one sort or another. Although there might be some trace of the wall perhaps if it's connected to a commercial property.

Re. The brick wall, I think there's just a suggestion of a window or opening in the wall behind the roofline at that end. Viv.

Last edited:
Back