• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New unseen photos with no locations

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks this new thread will show unseen photos i have and also those that mikejee took during 69/73 so we will both be sharing this thread but we need your help to put locations to them..we will give it a couple of days mulling over each photo before posting the next one unless of course the location is sorted before then in which case another one will be posted...once again please feel free to save any of interest and if you want to post them on other forums and sites that is also fine but would appreciate it that if you do you credit them (with thanks to the birmingham history forum..

lyn

here is the first one...i have a feeling thats some of mine will be easy for a lot of you..

Attachments

• img933.jpg
    img933.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 805
Last edited:
Lynn not sure of the street,but is it Edgbaston Street? I remember from that street you could get to the bus station and also a back entrance into the actual Bull Ring. (or Bullring!!). lol

lol carol...i need the actual streets or roads so lets see if anyone else agrees with you...as for me?? im lost...

lyn

My Wakelin's Street Guide says Edgbaston St. went from (the original) Spiceal St. to Worcester St. I thought this was the Rag Market but it looks different?
rosie.

Lyn, I've just had a look at the thread "Bull ring pics" and at #291 you have a picture and it seems to be a little way along from this one.
rosie.

Hi Lyn

I think it is Edgbaston Street and I am fairly sure that it is the Rag Market. Is the large pub on the corner The Birmingham Arms? Sadly, like a good few of us on the forum, I am getting old and having difficulty remembering things. However your idea of giving us a challenge is an excellent one and I look forward to having a go in the weeks to come.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

You might be right Chris, a pic of the Birmingham Arms is in a post here
Looks the same pub.

Last edited:
Its not the Birmingham Arms. Below is a map (unfortunately two maps of slightly different dates joined, which is a bit confusing) from the early 1970s.The big pub is the St Martins Hotel. (in red), the building in the distance (in green) is the corner of St Martins St and Moat lane. Cants remember the pubs name offhand. The two sticking out sheds from the market can be seen to the right. Because the phot is from right close to the (then) new Bull Ring on the left, you can't see St Martins church. the red arrow id about where the phot was taken from.

map_c_1970__2_parts_joined_2C_markets_area.jpg

The Public House marked in red was originally called The Talbot when it opened in 1959,I worked there from shortly after it opened until 1964.It's now called the Bull Ring Tavern,not sure when they changed the name !

thanks everyone...so if we are all happy that it is taken in edgbaston st i will write that on the back of the photo and mike it will be over to you for the next unknown location...

I remembered that view quite well Jimbo. On most views others would usually be far better.
The next one has already been on the 1969-73 thread and a possible/ position listed, but , to me the map doesn't look right, so if anyone can confirm the position i'd be very grateful. The photo was taken around 1970 and ones taken around it were all in the church lane Aston area. It shows what had been Newbury's. the directories give address as 43-47 Lichfield road, but before no one remembered it and the map of the area doesn't look quite like it. Apart from the fact that it doesn't look much like I remember Lichfield road it seems to show one building on the site and the houses to the left look too far away . On c1938 maps the site is three separate buildings (and this building looks pre 1938 to me). I have marked it in red on the map. Maybe someone remembers it there, or perhaps at another place. If not I think I will have to say it was definitely at 43-47.and that the OS maps did not giove a very good representation.

14A__Newburys.jpg

map_c1950_showing_43-74_lichfield_roadA~0.jpg

Re first photo. Blimey only just signed in to see what's going on and it's all done and dusted. Next one please...... good game. Viv.

Just a small (possibly irrelevant) observation. The building to the left of Newbury's has, perhaps, been shortened. The windows look too close to the adjacent wall. I wonder if the building once joined Newbury's or at least there was once a smaller gap between the two. Newbury's itself seems to have been cut down to the right too. Not sure what this tells us. Thought I'd put it out there! Viv.

PS thanks Lyn. Mike must have been posting at the same time as me.

Last edited:
Just a thought the lamp standard is not a main road standard Lichfield road lamp standards are much taller.

hi john i was hoping you would see that one...have to be honest and say when i first saw that photo it did not smack of lichfield roads main road mind you i could be totally wrong..

lyn

Just looked at Kelly's Newbury carpet machines it listed between other factory's or shops no houses adjacent and they are in the middle of these other buildings. this was Kelly's 1938
1950 puts on the corner of Catherine street'

Over the large gateway there was once a board. The batons for the board can still be seen. This must have been a sign to indicate what was going on through the gateway. The board seems to have at one time covered over the 's' of Newbury's. Again not sure what this tells us but perhaps it suggests other businesses were renting premises at the rear of Newbury's. Viv.

Back