• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New unseen photos of brum

[And thanks from me too young lady.
Had seen it before but nice to go over it again.
The sad thing is the fact that many of the old posters are no longer on the scene which makes me wonder if they have dropped of the twig (as they say!) or may be they are busy with other endeavours and will pop in later.
Cheers Tim.

Lovely old pics Lyn, thank you for posting them. Some of my old stamping grounds there. How peaceful and quiet the places look, and how smart the people are dressed. Lots of cars outside the West End even in those days.

hi maggs yes i agree with you entirely..everything seemed so much slower in those days...not like the frantic dash of today...was very lucky to have been given these photos as so many end up being skipped by people who do not understand the historical importance of them...

lyn x

View attachment 110176

Not sure where to put this one as I can't find any mention of Marshall Osborne. Anyway this is a new old picture from the Evening Despatch of June 1939...Is that a young boy with a fag in the front row?

I did find this entry for a Birmingham company of that name: The entry was dated 1922 so maybe they moved to Princip Street to larger premises or after being bombed out? I am sure someone here might know. ;)
MARSHALL, OSBORNE & Co., Mechanical Engineers, 31, Slaney Street, Birmingham. T. A. " Mosbo, Birmingham." T. N.: Birmingham Central 5245. Established 1907. Principal: Marshall Osborne. Specialities.—Accurately machined parts in phosphor-bronze, gun-metal and steel. Bushes for industrial motors and bearings for locomotives and railway carriages.

They are very important photo's Lyn. If anywhere needs historical photographs it is Birmingham, so much destruction of that city, it makes me very sad.

Thanks again for another stroll down memory lane.
You should get some sort of medal or cerstificate as we used to say.
Cheers Tim.

lol tim...so long as people get pleasure out of seeing them and they bring back memories then that is reward enough for me:)

lyn

Thanks again for another stroll down memory lane.
You should get some sort of medal or cerstificate as we used to say.
Cheers Tim.
Now that is the second kind of malapropism I have seen here in recent times. The other was the registry office instead of register office. There are a few I have heard in Devon, such as electricical instead of electrical, but I think we should keep it to the Midlands, specifically Birmingham if it is thought that such a thread would be interesting.
Is osspickle (hospital a Brummie one?) ;)

We used to say "Horse Piddle" maybe along the line of "Where would you go if you were run over by the Co-Op Bread Van (horse drawn in them days) ?

Now that is the second kind of malapropism I have seen here in recent times. The other was the registry office instead of register office. There are a few I have heard in Devon, such as electricical instead of electrical, but I think we should keep it to the Midlands, specifically Birmingham if it is thought that such a thread would be interesting.
Is osspickle (hospital a Brummie one?) ;)
It has always been "registry office", until your posting I hadn't noticed the change to "register office". When did that sneak in?

thanks jim i had always called it the registry office but thought i had been getting it wrong for all these years...seems i hadnt:)

ly

hi moss i have just edited post 19 for you...i was right about whitehead road being there...

lyn
Hi Lyn, just been looking through your photos on this thread. They are marvellous! Can I just say that the #19 photo was taken from Whitehead Street looking across High Street to Whitehead Road as you rightly say. You may remember how much of a stickler I am about the Whitehead Street thread as most people confuse it with Whitehead Road.

the crown pub on the right bottom of bath st and snow hill...taken from gt charles st bridge..st chads in the background..
Just up on the left hand side of Bath St on the corner of Shadwell St was where I started my part time job at Rowland Keen in the gun trade in 1960. They moved a few months later to Lincoln Jefferies shop in Steelhouse Lane because of the impending development of Snow Hill/Queensway Circle. I have an early photo of that corner but cannot post it because it has no url reference.

hello dawn and welcome to the forum...as you have most likely read on post 1 i was given these privately taken photos to do with as i saw fit so i shared them...its posts like yours that make it so worth while so glad you like that particular photo which has a family interest....if you have any that you could add we would love to see them

all the best

lyn

bringing this thread to the top for members who may not have seen it...i am sure these photos will stir some memories with our members and look forward to reading about them...enjoy

lyn

corner of john bright st on the left..
I had a theory about that clock. There always seemed to be part of it not work. I think this was deliberate. Finding the bit that wwas not working was like having an itch that had to be scratched. Of course as you searched you kept seeing the name Guinness. The advert had worked.

Then below the clock you could see the slouchy zoot suits.

the crown pub on the right bottom of bath st and snow hill...taken from gt charles st bridge..st chads in the background..
New to the forum. I lived at the Crown on Snow Hill as a child in the late 50's. My father Stan "Chalkie" White was the landlord. I would love to hear from anyone with memories or pictures of the Crown before it was demolished.

Back