• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New unseen photos of brum

Well, two more well frequented bus stops in the latest pics. The top of Snow Hill (bus stops hidden behind bus waiting to turn into Steelhouse Lane) when I worked in the lower (Snow Hill) end of Edmund Street and of course Edmund Street itself for the Dudley Road buses mentioned in an earlier post.

It really goes without saying that many here, I am certain, appreciate this great selection of pics for us to appreciate. Many thanks for posting them.

Smashing 2nd set of photographs, thanks for posting them.

Lyn,

I find many of the photographs as the "disappearing - in between times" of the Birmingham that I knew in the 40's & 50's, and the Birmingham that I now see when I visit.

Wonderful photos, and many thanks for your hard work, and presentation.

Eddie.

THE NEXT 25..

ok folks here we go with the next lot...

the beginning of the rotunda

I had a mate who won a bet by climbing up the rotunda & out along the crane that was on top. Lex, are you still alive mate?

Thanks for all the photos Astoness.

steelhouse lane from upper priory..the george and dragon pub...the gaumont on the left..

Incredible view. The George and Dragon and buildings extending beyond that must have been cleared to make way for the Post & Mail Building. The G&D has no roof, so maybe it was not long before the new roadway was developed. Viv.

Not sure Dave of the date of the pic but the Dudley Road trams were changed to buses just before WW2 whereas the Lodge Road 32 trams continued until after WW2 in 1947.

Great photos Lyn, many happy memories from mine and I am sure other members past. Thanks for posting and lets have some more please.

hi folks lovely to see you all enjoying and chatting about this new thread but no thanks needed..you all know how i love to share any photos with you all...been going though whats left and i think i have about another 25 that give locations...bit busy tomorrow but i will certainly post them by the weekend..

thanks again

lyn

i was wondering which hospital as well and there is also a school quite close as well

Those tracks Dave are the 'new' paving in Edmund Street I guess. I am sure I posted this before, but I am reminded of a death I once witnessed as a young person in that location. Being young it is something that has stayed indelibly printed in my mind.

A man was knocked down by a Midland Red bus - a pre WW2 FEDD (front entrance bus) commonly used on the Dudley Road routes at the time. As my father was with me I would date this to be about 1946 -48 I guess. For decency he was covered with a sack.
Maybe there is reference to this in the local newspaper archives. The bus must have been going slow as it would have been preparing to stop or start at the bus shelters. From hazy memory I think the bus shelters ran in order of the route numbers i.e. commencing (near the arch) with B80 (BCT) and the furthermost being B87 (usually Midland Red). B80 - B83 were usually BCT and B84 - B87 usually B&MMO. There were a few overlaps to conform to the agreement between the two companies.

I must say it was a lovely one hour viewing these old photos of Birmingham , Thank you Lyn for sharing them with us xxx

1940 Kellys lists Birmingham and Midland Hospital for women as being in Upper Priory Street. Looks as if it was on the corner of Steelhouse Lane. Could it be this?

Janice
Thanks Jim. Wonder if anyone knows which hospital? Was it anything to do with the Priory? Or is the building too modern? Viv.

thanks janice i would say that has to be the birm and midland hospital for women

cheers

lyn

co op from new st across the big top

index.php

[/URL]
Those decorations look like the ones put up for the Queen's coronation in 1953. I must have often looked at them when I stood waiting for the No188 bus outside the Odeon. On Saturday mornings we usually went to town and late at night we would walk in a happy noisy group from the Ice Rink in Springhill carrying our skates to catch the last bus home. I once went to the 'Big Top' circus which used the site before it became a car park. The night I went to the circus there was a gale blowing and the tent was flapping around rather worryingly but I did see my first real lion there ! I notice there is an Austin A90 car in the pic, the second one I have seen in a forum pic this week. We thought they were very modern in those days.
Thanks again Lyn for bringing back my happy youthful memories with these pics ....
encouragement.png

Phil

Last edited:
In the 1915 Kelly's the first building is listed as the Birmingham and Midland Free Hospital for sick children (outpatients dept) then comes the Womens' outpatients. Online I can access 1915 and then it jumps to 1940 so I can't tell from the entries when it changed.

A Google search suggests the children's moved from that site in 1917.

Janice

top of snow hill and steelhouse lane..taken from boots at the top of bull st..steelhouse lane is to the right..

I love this picture especially (no. 69) with the bespectacled penguin reading a book above Harrisons opticians - and in front the two (short-sighted?) pedestrians apparently bumping in to each other!

Lovely stuff, Lyn.

Just one other thing Lyn , so far they are all B/W , are you saving the colour ones till last ?

In the 1915 Kelly's the first building is listed as the Birmingham and Midland Free Hospital for sick children (outpatients dept) then comes the Womens' outpatients. Online I can access 1915 and then it jumps to 1940 so I can't tell from the entries when it changed.

A Google search suggests the children's moved from that site in 1917.

Janice
I think this is a case where Google is wrong. The hospital is still the Children's Hospital in 1923 Kellys. In 1932 it is The Birmingham General Dispensary, out patients dept. It remained this till 1940, but by 1943 had disappeared *Bombing?)

Lyn

You have got some really good photos there, and not all just the usual sightseers snaps, but some rarely seen photos of areas of Birmingham that I have never seen on photo before. I can't wait to see the rest.

Back