• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New TV memories site

I was reading an interview with Richard Briers in a newspaper. He lamented the passing of properly trained actors and writers producing good quality entertainment in the days of the four channels. He is still good friends with Penelope Keith ( Margot...I used to fancy her something rotten) who made him sell his old TV and buy a digital one. Despite all of the choice of channels he finds even less too watch now. Reality TV , Police Videos and foul mouthed chefs are not going to produce quality actors.. Remember many of the old actors flitted from stage, screen and studio, both TV and Radio. How many can do that now ? Unknowns get parts in soap operas, have ideas beyond their abilities, leave and if they are lucky become a hostess on a midnight shopping channel.
Have you noticed that the World Wide News Reporter is no longer such an important character. The mobile phone with a built in camera means that people local to the area now provide upto the minute reports though of varying quality. Julian Pettifer was my favourite. I remember him joining the Tonight program, then in the front line in Vietnam. He was one of the few people I considered a modern day mentor. As far as I now he kept his nose clean, acted as a professional reporter and I think was the last of a breed. I understand Kate Aidie could be a bit of a prima donna, but then the age of the Celebrity had arrived, it takes nothing away from her abilities.
Another newspaper report mentioned more people use the computer as an entertainment center than use the TV. Another big change caused by the internet that the big TV, Film and music moguls cannot control. Tough they have milked the public for about 80 years or so .The Gravy Train has to stop sometime.

Hi guys
there was a programe in the fifties with michael bentine
with some funny shaped articles i think it was some think like bumbles
and he used to do the talking and these bumbles would jump around the room
can any one recall such a programe and what was the series called
it only ran for a couple of weeks on the bbc;---- any names. Can any one recall it
many thanks best wishes astonion ;;

Hi ARKRITE
My old dear friend, you have just clinched it for me ;yes indeed it was the bumblies
i have been scratching my head for at least an hour i knew it was that sort of name
i remember potty time as well but i did not like it
many thanks arky ; speak to you soon again ;best wishes astonion;;

This is NOT a pushover test. It's a Baby Boomer era test!
This one will be difficult for the younger set. (DUDE!)
Have fun, but no peeking! Good luck,
youngsters.

1. What builds strong bodies 12 ways?
A. Flintstones vitamins
B. The Buttmaster
C. Spaghetti
D. Wonder Bread
E. Orange Juice
F. Milk
G. Cod Liver Oil

2. Before he was Muhammed Ali, he was...
A. Sugar Ray Robinson.
B. Roy Orbison.
C. Gene Autry.
D. Rudolph Valentino.
E. Fabian.
F. Mickey Mantle.
G. Cassius Clay..

3. Good night, George.
A. Good night, Chet.
B. Sleep well.
C. Good night, Irene.
D.. Good night, Gracie.
E. See you later, alligator.
F. Until tomorrow.
G. Good night, Steve.

4. You'll wonder where the yellow went...
A. When you use Tide.
B. When you lose your crayons.
C. When you clean your tub.
D. If you paint the room blue.
E.. If you buy a soft water tank.
F. When you use Lady Clairol.
G. When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent..

5. Liar, liar...
A. You're a liar.
B. Your nose is growing.
C. Pants on fire.
D. Join the choir.
E. Jump up higher.
F. On the wire.
G. I'm telling Mom.

6. Meanwhile, back in Metropolis, Superman fights a never ending battle for truth, justice and....
A. Wheaties.
B. Lois Lane.
C. TV ratings.
D. World peace.
E. Red tights.
F. The American way.
G. News headlines.

7. Bob Dylan advised us never to trust anyone...
A. Over 40.
B. Wearing a uniform.
C. Carrying a briefcase.
D. Over 30.
E. You don't know.
F. Who says, 'Trust me'.
G. Who eats tofu.
8. Brylcream...
A. Smear it on.
B. You'll smell great.
C. Tame that cowlick.
D. Grease ball heaven.
E. It's a dream.
F. We're your team.
G. A little dab'll do ya.
9. I found my thrill...
A. In Blueberry muffins.
B. With my man, Bill.
C. Down at the mill.
D. Over the windowsill.
E. With thyme and dill.
F. Too late to enjoy.
G. On Blueberry Hill.

10. Before Robin Williams, Peter Pan was played by...
A. Clark Gable.
B. Mary Martin.
C. Doris Day.
D. Errol Flynn.
E. Sally Fields.
F. Jim Carrey.
G. Jay Leno.
11. Name the Beatles...
A. John, Steve, George, Ringo
B. John, Paul, George, Roscoe
C. John, Paul, Stacey, Ringo
D. Jay, Paul, George, Ringo
E. Lewis, Peter, George, Ringo
F. Jason, Betty, Skipper, Hazel
G. John, Paul, George, Ringo
12. I wonder, wonder, who.
A. Who ate the leftovers?
B. Who did the laundry?
C. Was it you?
D. Who wrote the book of love?
E. Who I am?
F. Passed the test?
G. Knocked on the door?
13. I'm strong to the finish...
A. Cause I eats my broccoli.
B. Cause I eats me spinach.
C. Cause I lift weights.
D. Cause I'm the hero.
E. And don't you for get it.
F. Cause Olive Oyl loves me.
G. To outlast Bruto.

14. When it's least expected, you're elected, you're the star today.
A.. Smile, you're on Candid Camera.

B. Smile, you're on Star Search.
C. Smile, you won the lottery.
D. Smile, we're watching you.
E. Smile, the world sees you.
F. Smile, you're a hit.
G. Smile, you're on TV.
15. What do M & M's do?
A. Make your tummy happy.
B. Melt in your mouth, not in your pocket.
C. Make you fat.
D.. Melt your heart.
E. Make you popular.
F. Melt in your mouth, not in your hand.
G. Come in colors.

Below are the right answers:
1. D - Wonder Bread
2. G - Cassius Clay
3. D - Good night, Gracie
4. G - When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent
5. C - Pants on fire
6. F - The American Way
7. D - Over 30
8. G - A little dab'll do ya
9. G - On Blueberry Hill
10. B - Mary Martin
11. G - John, Paul, George, Ringo
12. D - Who wrote the book of Love
13. B - Cause I eats me spinach
14. A - Smile, you're on Candid Camera
15. F - Melt in your mouth not in your hand

Has anyone been watcing The Young Ones on TV. Last night was really touching with Dickie Bird and his visit to Lords. I can relate to some of the aches and pains and stiffness of joints they are having. It was surprising how Lionel Blair perceives himself as he is not so healthy as he thought. I cant wait to see the end results.

do you remember cookie from 77 sunset strip? He was always combing his hair.i was only young but i remember a song something like "cookie lend me your comb"??

There was a good progamme on BBC4 last night at 22:30 called Of Time and The City. Although it was about Liverpool, it did show the way of life which was exactly the same as Birmingham, with the living conditions, the dolly tubs, kids playing in the street, school playground games, etc. They probably had more varities of food as they had the docks, but I found it very interesting. It is well worth seeing if it is repeated.

There was a good progamme on BBC4 last night at 22:30 called Of Time and The City. Although it was about Liverpool, it did show the way of life which was exactly the same as Birmingham, with the living conditions, the dolly tubs, kids playing in the street, school playground games, etc. They probably had more varities of food as they had the docks, but I found it very interesting. It is well worth seeing if it is repeated.

It was brilliant and unmissable every person should see it. carolina:)

It even brought a few tears to my eyes and especially when they played Peggy Lee The Folks Who Live On The Hill

Gyles Brandreth did the commentary he is a Liverpool lad and it was both Sad,Cheeky, Rude but not smutty & Funny the music was not bad either. I could go on but I wont.

You can see it on BBCiplayer anytime this week.

Last edited:
I spent a lovely afternoon yesterday with my grandson. I bought 2 DVDs of the Famous Five and we sat and watched them together. They were in black and white and were dated 1952. What was funny was they were obviously made for the cinema, so after about 15 minutes you would get 'come back next week and see whether they escaped, etc' (kind of Flash Gordon type of thing) and then another part would begin giving a refresher from the week before. My grandson thought it was hilarious to think you had to go back to the cinema to see the next part. But overall, it was old fashioned, it was lovely, it was innocent and boy did it bring back memories. So if you have got grandkids think about getting them and relive another part of our history. Regards to all.

The serials such as mentioned above were for the Saturday morning picture shows for kids such as the ABC minors, I used to go to the one at Selly Oak, I don't remember ever seeing the famous five though

Izzy neither do I remember it. Probably we were like, acting cool and wouldnt admit we would want to watch it anyway

I rescanned Astra 2 satellite today and found Vintage TV Channel which I had not known about. Cannot really make any comment yet although it looks promising.

I have sky films, and am always wondering why, oh why,we can't have some of the old B/W British films instead of the all the rubbish american B movies seldom see even on the BBC any of these fantastic films.

I have sky films, and am always wondering why, oh why,we can't have some of the old B/W British films instead of the all the rubbish american B movies seldom see even on the BBC any of these fantastic films.

On the Sky platform you often find older British films on the TCM channel and Film4, particularly during the day. On the Sky listing they are channels 315,316,317,318.

Channels 321 to 328 (Movies4men, Movies 24 etc) sometimes show old British films (and I think they are all free channels as well).

Also channel 4 sometimes show old British films during the day.

A few months ago I saw an old 1953 John Mills film called The Long Memory which I think was on channel 4 (or maybe Film 4).

Follwing on from my append above.

I notice at 11am tomorrow (Friday) film 4 has a 1952 British film called The Card with Alec Guinness.

I watched it a few months ago and it has some rather historic shots of Llandudno sea front in it if I remember.

And at 1pm TCM have Look Back in Anger from 1959 with Richard Burton.

At 3pm Film4 are also showing Gaslight from 1940 with Anton Walbrook

TCM are also currently showing a number of old Sherlock Holmes films with Basil Rathbone (one or more is on tomorrow).

So plenty to chose from

It was excellent, I watched it on iplayer last year. It is being repeated on BBC2 tonight (12th August 2011) - I will certainly be watching it again.

Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6BAoo8hmlU

Paul

Last edited:
I did mention this programme when it was first shown, but BBCiplayer had a 30 day limit on it.
I look forward to seeing it again its great. Tired to buy a copy but at the time I had no luck

thanks for posting the you tube,web site for the black and white documentry, paul I enjoyed watching it.
paul S

Back