• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Town Row/and high st newtown

mallyb2

master brummie
Interesting photos Lyn, in post 83.
I am curious about the marque of the flashy car outside Foster Brothers. I bet a few Astonians bought their 'whistles' (whistle and flutes) there. ;)

Hello Alan,
the car you asked about is a Jaguar Mark V, built around 1950-1952.These cars were available as a 2.5 litre,or a 3.5 litre, and were the last Jaguars to use the 'old' pushrod engine.Subesequent Jaguars used the 'new' XK twin ohc engine. The car in front of it appears to be a Vauxhall Victor FB,which would have been built around the 1964 era, which probably dates this photograph.The Jaguar looks a little 'weathered',so the time-scale looks about right...………………….Mal

Last edited:

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Lyn, was it Black's where you got your tights from? We used to shop there and American Tan was all the rage. When I went to work I bought my stockings (not tights) from Taylor's in Erdington and they used to put a box by for me. You'd go in and buy a pair and if you laddered one you were always sure they'd match up with the next ones.

Black's moved to Wylde Green and had a shop on the Birmingham Road just at the top of Penns Lane where I worked. It wasn't the same though.

Linda Jennings

master brummie
In the 1960’s our Mom used to buy her Playtex rubber girdles from Blacks on New Town Row. I think they took Provident Cheques..
I only went in there a few times. I always thought of it as being a posh shop. I loved the smell around the perfume counter!
Happy days

jmadone

master brummie
Thanks to both of you!
He died of TB before I was born, just after the war I think so late 40's. He was in his 60s then but wouldn't have retired, not sure how long he was ill. He was the company secretary which doesn't give any clue to what the factory actually made, I don't know any more and there's no one to ask now unfortunately.
I know the factory was still there in the mid 1960s, we moved from Perry Barr in 1968 so no longer passed on that bus route to town.
The entrance possibly wasn't in New Town Row as you say Mike, I know the back of the factory ran along side the canal
It's a bit of a needle in a haystack really - the names don't ring any bells, except maybe Harrison and Cook but that could have been mentioned by my father as he worked in industrial fastenings and pop rivets.
Bit late I know but I came across this today which mentions The Globe Works
and this https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0118/lot-ce536c99-42ce-4eed-8609-aad100ffe01d

Last edited:

A Sparks

master brummie
Thanks @jmadone I'd forgotten I had ever posted that!
I can't see anything about the Globe Works when I click into the link and I'm not sure if that was the company my grandfather worked for, I only remember roughly where the factory was.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
At the bottom of the page ofthe link it states:
Pascall's Confections - A late 19th to early 20th Century mahogany cased confectionery counter shop display cabinet with single glass shelf below a sloping front, makers label to reverse "O.S Hawkes, Globe Works, Birmingham", height 45cm x depth 19.5cm x width 51cm

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
In the 1960’s our Mom used to buy her Playtex rubber girdles from Blacks on New Town Row. I think they took Provident Cheques..
I only went in there a few times. I always thought of it as being a posh shop. I loved the smell around the perfume counter!
Happy days
we were poor.but had a suit for Sundays. and special times.....Thank goodness for Provident Cheques.

Sugar

master brummie
we were poor.but had a suit for Sundays. and special times.....Thank goodness for Provident Cheques.
I Think alot of people had provident cheques in the 60s .The only problem with them was only certain shops accepted them we use to look on the windows or doors of the shops to see if they had a provident sticker on so we knew which shop we could go in to use them.Also lots of time we never answered the door when the provident lady came for her money but I'm sure she was used to that ANYWAY!

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Lyn, was it Black's where you got your tights from? We used to shop there and American Tan was all the rage. When I went to work I bought my stockings (not tights) from Taylor's in Erdington and they used to put a box by for me. You'd go in and buy a pair and if you laddered one you were always sure they'd match up with the next ones.

Black's moved to Wylde Green and had a shop on the Birmingham Road just at the top of Penns Lane where I worked. It wasn't the same though.
sorry pen i missed your post..no not blacks...got my tights from a shop just up from the bartons arms...always remember it had wooden steps up to it...strange how we dont forget the little things...oh yes and american tan for me also

lyn

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
does anyone remember a barbers,on aston brook st /newtown row. i left there in 1965 and sure it was a market. were the pic shows a barber.next to the barbers,was a open space. the pic says 1970.?

Attachments

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
pete if memory serves me right i am sure it was some sort of market on that corner but dont quote me

lyn

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
1581606895552.png
pete if memory serves me right i am sure it was some sort of market on that corner but dont quote me

lyn
thanks,lyn bryants and jj gallaher put new sewer pipe all along abs. and they kept there machines on that waste ground.i remember.the market was also a slaughterhouse. i am pretty sure the pic is before 1970. but no doubt someone can tell us.

Last edited:

Blews St

proper brummie kid
I think this is one for Mike, as he is so good with maps etc and finding where things were.

I would like to know where 6 Court, 5 House was in New Town Row and at the same time The Clements Arms. My 3 x gt grandfather died at his house and the inquest was held at the pub. I wanted to know how near the two were to each other.

Many thanks
My other halfs auntie Annie had a stall in the Newtown rag market.
Shortie

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I take it that you mean the Clements Arms in Newtown Row (there were another two of that name in Brum). The Clement Arms is marked with the red marker, court 6 is in blue. I am afraid that I cannot help with which is house 5 in the court.

map c1889  Newtown Row showing clement Arms and court 6.jpg