• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New to the Forum--Locating my Birmingham ancestors around 1840--

This might be of interest. From "Birmingham New St. The story of a great station, including Curzon St" , by Richard Foster. Pub Wild swan publications.

Original curzon st station.jpg

Hi. I'm new to this forum---this is my first post and looking forward to picking the brains of Birmingham history experts who can help me locate where my Gt X 3 grandparents lived in around 1840's. Their names were Joseph and Mary Ann SEALEY ( nee Gorstage). Records show they lived at 3. Court. Vauxhall Rd Aston. B'ham around 1840 --their first son JOSEPH was baptised in St James the Less on 28th Feb 1847. I have found Vauxhaul Rd on the maps---but can't locate " 3 COURT". Anyone have any ideas please? ( hoping it wasn't the criminal court!-----one of their sons was a bit of a jack-the-lad, not my Gt X 3 granddad I'm pleased to say. Appreciate any help in locating this address----looking to pay a visit to your great City later this year to locate this area. THANKS. Dave.
Hello,

The family is well documented at https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LD2Z-YHX (although you probably already know that). I have tidied up some of the place names, but generally the documentation of the family is good.

Jason

Thanks Genmac for your thoughts and useful tips to take the family story further. I will search for old photos as suggested and do some more digging in Union and company records. Regarding the former, my Grandad Herbert ( Joseph Sealey's grandson) was the branch chairman of the local Carter's Union in Bow ( London) in the years before WW1 and I have his "Regalia"--I got the minutes books from the Union Archives held by Loughborough University some years ago now, so I might contact them as a first port-of-call and follow up some of your suggestions. Seems that I'll have to wait a bit longer to see the roundhouse sheds and the restored facade at Curzon St Station--but it'll be worth waiting for.
Thanks Mikejee for the very interesting description of the goods depot in Richard Foster's book. There must be some old photos ( 1850's --1860's with a bit of luck) and I will follow this up. It must have been a magnificent complex and building. If only we could step back in time for just a few minutes eh?
Thanks Jason for the link on my Sealey Family tree. My cousin's husband has researched the Sealey tree and I believe he mentioned he put it on-line. I haven't gone into the link you kindly sent yet but I'm pretty certain it was the tree done by him last year. he hasn't managed to get back any further than Joseph Sealey's father, John ( c1762--Nov 1830) --and his wife's name and details seem lost in the mists of time---we know only that he was born in "Buckingham" ( c1762)and died in London--and his next project is to try to research this further. We believe he may have had a connection with the CANALS ( like his son Joseph) as he was born in Buckingham ( Buckingham canal opened in c 1801)-- his first son John ( c1802--1861) was born there, in Bucks, his second son Joseph ( c1815-1878) was born in London!-----Those Sealeys certainly had the Wander Lust! Fascinating subject all this family social history---and again I'm indebted to all those who continue to point me in the right direction. Regards. Dave

Thanks Genmac for your thoughts and useful tips to take the family story further. I will search for old photos as suggested and do some more digging in Union and company records. Regarding the former, my Grandad Herbert ( Joseph Sealey's grandson) was the branch chairman of the local Carter's Union in Bow ( London) in the years before WW1 and I have his "Regalia"--I got the minutes books from the Union Archives held by Loughborough University some years ago now, so I might contact them as a first port-of-call and follow up some of your suggestions. Seems that I'll have to wait a bit longer to see the roundhouse sheds and the restored facade at Curzon St Station--but it'll be worth waiting for.
Thanks Mikejee for the very interesting description of the goods depot in Richard Foster's book. There must be some old photos ( 1850's --1860's with a bit of luck) and I will follow this up. It must have been a magnificent complex and building. If only we could step back in time for just a few minutes eh?
Thanks Jason for the link on my Sealey Family tree. My cousin's husband has researched the Sealey tree and I believe he mentioned he put it on-line. I haven't gone into the link you kindly sent yet but I'm pretty certain it was the tree done by him last year. he hasn't managed to get back any further than Joseph Sealey's father, John ( c1762--Nov 1830) --and his wife's name and details seem lost in the mists of time---we know only that he was born in "Buckingham" ( c1762)and died in London--and his next project is to try to research this further. We believe he may have had a connection with the CANALS ( like his son Joseph) as he was born in Buckingham ( Buckingham canal opened in c 1801)-- his first son John ( c1802--1861) was born there, in Bucks, his second son Joseph ( c1815-1878) was born in London!-----Those Sealeys certainly had the Wander Lust! Fascinating subject all this family social history---and again I'm indebted to all those who continue to point me in the right direction. Regards. Dave
I agree, the background social history of family history is fascinating and sites like Birmingham History Forum help us to put it into context, with thanks to all the moderators and contributors.

Sounds like you might have another promising 'link' with contacting the Carters Union. Again there is another promising research being connected to 'road hauliers' from 1891 and members of your family being Railway Cartmen in Camden.

Likewise, the Buckingham Canal linked Buckingham with Stoney Stratford in Bucks in early 1800's. Of course the Grand Union Canal now goes through Stoney Stratford and Wolverton. I think there is a Buckingham Canal Society which might be able to help you? Also there is Buckinghamshire Family History Society and Cuddington History Society which have used to help me in the past with our Frost Family History. Enjoy all your future research and let us know how you get on

Back