• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Technology! - Well it was then!

All these items were new to me, I bought a Crystal Set kit from the back of the Beano and used to have many happy hours listening to the Home service under my bed clothes with my earphones, I did have a BBC Micro though its still in the loft along with all my other old Computers, in bits as I was always upgrading.

Well woolworths was the in shops in my days where you bought alot of things for the price of a tanner 6d
valves and alsorts of things , but did you ever own or bought the john bull printing sets
where you got an ink pad and a little block of wood and a packet of little rubber stamps that you used tweezers to insert the little rubber prints to make your letter or stamp up hence years latter they dezigned the adder printing presss
for a costly sum of one guinee [ one pound one shilling ] i got mine from the aston cross woolworths
my sister in law worked there as a superviser way back in the fifties and there counters was very low down
to the floor , then they started to advertise in the birmingham post and mail
mind you i could never get the dammed things into the block or did you have the three magic eggs ;
which fitted into each other
best wishes Astonian ;;

Astonian

We have had this one before John Bull

I found it in the Search Box it could also be under Toys but don't quote me
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=512&page=2&highlight=john+bull

HI ARKRITE
Yes i can relate the same a you when we was kids in our little house up he big terrace [ cromwell ]
there was ten of us in the litle two up and one down house just after the war
and guess what ; yes thats right we all got that little john bull out fit in a sock with an apple orange and a couple of nuts and that was our wack whilst the other kids got big pressies in the terrace
jenny gamage got a doll and a scooter and young queenie brant go a three wheeler bike
we used to look at them in ennvy and trying to beg on qeenies bike was just impossible
she was a posh girl her mom had a tea room in portland st across the rd by buttons
and the old man had a posh car ; so they had money my old man was working at charles harris on the flat as a bakelite moulder he reckons he was always skint but he was always with the dodds family at the aston cross pub, and he was always doing the gaffers releif in all those pubs around on the aston cross
but yes he went out and bought ten of them for ech and every one of us astonian ;;;;

Hello Alf, can you imagine a teasmade manufactured today lasting fifty years??

Well Stitcher, the teasmade hardware might last 50 years (perhaps !), but you can be damn sure they would change the operating system used in teasmades within 10 years so that it didn't work properly
Mike

Like the Washing Machine that lasted over 40 years We have had 6 in less than 25 years & 5 Cookers

I found a few more oldies whilst going through the loft, I hope they bring back a few memories. I don't think the youth of today would be so keen to carry some of these old entertainment devices around with them. I remember a lot of people in times past holding a one foot square transistorised radio to their ear, we must have had stronger arms and shoulders back then.

View attachment 52723View attachment 52720View attachment 52721View attachment 52722

Hello Dave,
I've just come across your post on here after having a little reminisce about my dad's radios. I believe my dad was part of your Saturday afternoon group. He and I sometimes would visit Howard's shop (I'd normally go because I knew we would get chips on the way back) His name was Michael Morris and he used to repair and restore old valve radios.
I can vividly remember the shop inside and many of his mates there yourself included, he was very fond of you all.
I sometimes drive past the shop with my work and often have a little smile to myself about his and my time visiting and hanging around at Howard's.
I will never forget our time together there.

Hi Richard,

I remember your dad Mick very well indeed, - as you say, he was a regular at Howard's,
and was very knowledgeable about the radios he loved. His untimely passing left a big
gap in our group. I remember attending his funeral at Canley, together with Howard and
others from the shop, and you may recollect the wreath made as a representation of
a round green Ekco radio,- a set he always hoped to find! I know I have copies 'somewhere' of
various photos, taken outside Centre Electronics, of the members of the group, including your dad,
and one of the wreath. You may well have these already, but if not and you would like copies,
please send me a Private Message via the Forum with your eMail address and I will forward to you.
(Don't send it as a posting , - for privacy reasons this is frowned on by the Forum).

Incidentally we did meet again briefly if you remember in 2003/2004 at the TimbaPlus works at
Coleshill, where you had come to do some electrical work (I think!).

I now live on the Norfolk Coast, but I have never forgotten the happy times at Centre Electronics.

Kind regards
Dave

Back in the year 2000 I read about some new technology called USB memory sticks or Flash Drives.
In 2001 I saw a PC World advert for a 128mb drive and went out and bought one. I thought it was marvellous. I could save a file on it from one computer and then plug it in another computer to read or save the file.

A few months later I bought a 512mb drive.

Nineteen years later I still use both drives. The smaller drive has my 30 passwords and PIN numbers on it and the larger drive is a backup of the first drive.

Still working and could be the oldest technological device still regularly used by a forum member ..:cool:
IMG_0714 (Medium).JPG

Here is a few ad's and whats new articles from early electronics magazines I came across from around 1964 -65, the first couple are from Birmingham companies, Hornton's I remember well from their Navigation Street shop, also Fields had some marvelous curiosities in their shop window in Hurst Street, I will see if I can dig a few more of the old mags out if you like these.
View attachment 49437View attachment 49435View attachment 49436View attachment 49438
wished I could see your photos error message keeps coming up any chance you could try again. thanks
I can remember when it was new technology to me !
I used that shop in Hurst St and still have a similar tape recorder in the loft, and took some old recordings from it into the computer last year.
There is a thread about radio shops here....
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10649&highlight=radio+shops
The good old days....
sorry the thread it not working?

Here is a few ad's and whats new articles from early electronics magazines I came across from around 1964 -65, the first couple are from Birmingham companies, Hornton's I remember well from their Navigation Street shop, also Fields had some marvelous curiosities in their shop window in Hurst Street, I will see if I can dig a few more of the old mags out if you like these.
View attachment 49437View attachment 49435View attachment 49436View attachment 49438
wish I could see your photos shame an error keeps coming up

Back in the year 2000 I read about some new technology called USB memory sticks or Flash Drives.
In 2001 I saw a PC World advert for a 128mb drive and went out and bought one. I thought it was marvellous. I could save a file on it from one computer and then plug it in another computer to read or save the file.

A few months later I bought a 512mb drive.

Nineteen years later I still use both drives. The smaller drive has my 30 passwords and PIN numbers on it and the larger drive is a backup of the first drive.

Still working and could be the oldest technological device still regularly used by a forum member ..:cool:
View attachment 148374
oldMohawk, in about 1998 or 9 I purchased a Sony computer with their version of memory stick that slid into the computer or Sony camera. They were great, stable and compact except very easy to loose!!!

Then around 2000 or late 99 what we have now came out, much more difficult to loose :) . Fortunately some enterprising person came out with an adaptor and the rest as they say is history!

Back