• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Technology! - Well it was then!

Dave Riley

master brummie
Here is a few ad's and whats new articles from early electronics magazines I came across from around 1964 -65, the first couple are from Birmingham companies, Hornton's I remember well from their Navigation Street shop, also Fields had some marvelous curiosities in their shop window in Hurst Street, I will see if I can dig a few more of the old mags out if you like these.
View attachment 49437View attachment 49435View attachment 49436View attachment 49438

Dave, The picture of the tape recorder brings back memories of French lessons at School - the teacher would play us a bit of conversation then stop it and make us repeat it untill we got it right - It was rewound so many times I'm amazed the tape didn't break. I can still remember the clicking and whirring noise it made.
Polly

Have put this one on before but a long time ago and think it fits in with the theme of the thread. Jean.

I can remember when it was new technology to me !
I used that shop in Hurst St and still have a similar tape recorder in the loft, and took some old recordings from it into the computer last year.
There is a thread about radio shops here....
The good old days....
link edited

Last edited:
And again!!!! try preview post before submit reply. Dek Ps i await with anticipation.

I am trying, very trying Peter says. I will send it by e.mail and see if you can get it on Dek. Jean.

Love the adverts, Dave!

Harking back to Chas. Young (G2UK), his original shop in the 1950s was just inside Dale End.

I had piles of "Wireless World" - superb for adverts! - going back to 1953, but had to dump them before I left the UK. You simply can't take everything with you!

But I'm sure you remember "Radio Constructor". If not, this site with its dozens of circuits will remind you:-

https://vintageradio.me.uk/radconnav/radcon.htm

EDIT: And if anyone fancies "having a go" again, you can still get old Repanco, Denco, Osmor and other components from here:-

https://markhindes.easywebstore.co.uk/Coils_B2YX5.aspx

EDIT: These links still work on 15 March 2017 if you fancy a go!

Maurice

Last edited:
My Husband worked at Norman H. Field n the early '50s before his National Service.
He's got a Pacemaker now, and we're thankful for modern circuitry as well as fond of the old Radios!

A few from Sir Clive, well when he was just Clive actually. A little while before he came up with the idea of the ZX Spectrum I think!
View attachment 49444View attachment 49443View attachment 49442

I used to haunt the radio shops in Hurst St when i was a kid, I remember the shop opposite Mathews well, always had loads of interesting junk, although Mathews and Norman H Fields were a bit more organised. The old chap in there was always helpful and ready to 'do a deal' reminded me of Donald Pleasance. iirc his daughter took the shop over after him.

Actually built Sinclairs Micro 4 when I was about 11 or 12, the AM one that was out before the Micro FM. Never did get it to work though. Embarrassing really.

Thanks for those links Maurice, think I spent most of last night going through those sites, they started one or two ideas off in my head again, back to quick circuit diagrams on the back of fag packets and the burns in the carpet through misplaced soldering irons if I am not careful.

Yes Col I had forgot about that little shop opposite Mathews in Hurst Street, it was an Aladins cave of goodies. Thinking about old electronics shop I seem to remember a small shop on either Stockfield Rd or Yardley Road in Yardley. I can't seem to remember the name of it though, I was always drawn to the wonders in the windows of these kind of shops and never took much notice of the names over them. Plenty of ex-army electronics equipment about in those days, and at a bargain price too.

My dad was an armature radio and television builder, I used to go with him on a Saturday afternoons to a shop in Handworth (Plotniks) or something like that, rummaging through boxes of valves and resisters an other electrical nic nacs for his latest project.I whish I had taken more interest in it as it would have helped me in later life when I took my amatuer radio license.

Remember the old chap in the rag market that sold second hand valves and other odd bits and pieces, all thrown into tea chests ?

What a brilliant lot of posters Stitch!

John our Dad built me a transistor radio in the 60's. I was thrilled with it but he wasn't happy as he said it was flimsy. I think it was a sort of kit which wouldn't of suited him. My friends were quite envious I loved it!

Hello Wendy,ooh Wendy, I was never really interested in electrics or radio until I got a C.B. in the late 70s. But looking at the two pages I posted I do remember almost all the names and items.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave Riley;30982 . Thinking about old electronics shop I seem to remember a small shop on either Stockfield Rd or Yardley Road in Yardley. I can't seem to remember the name of it though said:
Hi Dave,

The radio shop in Stockfield was Centre Electronics, and the proprietor
was Howard Turner. A few of us 'regulars' used to have a Lottery
syndicate going, with fresh numbers drawn every week. The syndicate's
still going now, and I go to Howard's every week to collect the numbers
and put the lottery on. He hasn't had the shop for a few years now,
but he and his wife Maureen still take a stall at quite a few radio rallies
every year.

Kind regards

Dave

Back