• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Summer Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
for anyone with a connection to new summer st 3 pics..mike if you see this could i have a map please showing court no 20..thanks mike i have a feeling that all 3 are showing court no 20

lyn

new_summer_street_jh_.jpg new_summer_street_jh__.jpg new summer st court 20.jpg

thanks viv my pic 3 is tagged as court 20 but didnt give the house numbers..

look forward to more from you....must say they do look neat and tidy..think i had a rellie in new summer st but i will have to check my notes..

Below is map of new summer st, showing court 20 (in pink), court 22 (in green) and nos 39 & 47 (in blue to give you anidea of the street houses. Theis is after about 1882, as in 1880 and before the numbering was different *consecutive rather than odd one side, even the other)

Attachments

• MAP C 1889 NEW SUMMER ST showing courts 22 & 20, and nos 37 &47.jpg
    MAP C 1889 NEW SUMMER ST showing courts 22 & 20, and nos 37 &47.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 53
many thanks mike thats great...i am trying to figure out what the building was behind the houses in my pic 3 of court 20..it would have been in lower tower st..looks quite a high building so i wondered if it was maybe st nicholas church...do you think you could extend the map over to lower tower st please to line up with court 20 to see if the building could be st nics..thank you mike

great photos viv ...thank you

Last edited:
St Nicholas Church would have been to the right of Ward Street (which you can just see on Mike's map). There is a building marked PH in roughly the right area but I haven't tracked down what it was yet. On the other hand it looks as if there was a St Nicholas Mission - not marked on the map so difficult to pinpoint but listed in Kelly's. There is a photo of the church here https://ahistoryofbirminghamchurche...-the-bull-ring/st-nicolas-lower-tower-street/
Janice

Last edited:
The pub is the Crown . I did think from the map that it was more likely it was the building marked Paint works, but the photo seems to agree with it being the crown

Attachments

• map c 1950 showing buildings behind court 20 new summer st.jpg
    map c 1950 showing buildings behind court 20 new summer st.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Crown inn  lower tower st.JPG
    Crown inn lower tower st.JPG
    673.2 KB · Views: 24
The numbering of the courts and houses is mind boggling. Surprised visitors in those days could find addresses they were looking for. Viv.

In this clipping it mentions the collapse of houses in Paul Pry Yard, New Summer Street. The cause: neighbours stealing parts of the structure. A later report shows there was a fatality, a young girl. Viv.

image.jpeg

The Old Paul Pry pub is shown in red. Presumably the yard with the same name is that behind it

map c1889 showing Old Paul Fry Pub.jpg

Last edited:
thanks mike so its paul fry not pry ? fascinating story viv ..this is a pub i have never heard of before

lyn

Back