• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Street - When It Was New

Michael_Ingram

gone but not forgotten
I found this cutting in an old scrap book that my sister gave me. Unfortunately I don't know its origins. I hope you can read it alright. I had to join two separate scans but you can only just see the join

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Michael, very interesting.

I liked the reference to "the old Grammar School with its quaint, fenced quadrangle". This is what they were talking about, in 1829.

This and other images, generously provided by forum members and mainly of Barry's noble 1838 building which superseded it, have been pulled together and can be seen here.

Chris

Great Post Michael, your hairs alright as well, I can't see any join

Thanks for posting the cutting Mike. Very interesting to read and imagine how New Street looked in another era. The report about the church at Victoria Square and New Street was rather scathing. It seems the writer of the article thought the place was ugly from the outside and uncomfortable on the inside and also the fact that men and women were not allowed to sit together
was not at all popular.

nice article michael. i have this photo dated 1868. new st is on the left and high st on the right wales.

Wonderful photo Lyn. It is so hard to imagine what these places looked like all those years ago. I know I had ancestors living in Birmingham in 1868 and before. These sorts of photos really bring it home what Birmingham was like for them. You never know, perhaps its one of them standing on the corner having their photo taken! lol

hi jules. thats just it. we never know and i think thats what adds to the romance of looking at the old photos. lyn

Michael - That was such a fascinating and interesting article from the 1934 Gazette. I did enjoy reading it. Thanks for posting the cutting.

Wales - Smashing old photo of New Street/High Street.

Judy

Michael - That was such a fascinating and interesting article from the 1934 Gazette. I did enjoy reading it. Thanks for posting the cutting.

Wales - Smashing old photo of New Street/High Street.

Judy

I agree Judy, a super article and a great photo.

It amuses me reading the article the way the buildings of the day are described as "architectural atrocities". As far as I can see this is a description of the building that replaced the Georgian buildings on the Big Top Site opposite KEGS.

If these buildings still stood today we would be describing them as wonderful examples of the art of Victorian building and full of architectural merit. (see photo).

Phil

CityNewSt2.jpg

Yes we certainly would Phil. Last time I was in Brum I cringed when I saw some of the new soulless buildings that had been put up against the lovely old ones that have such character and, I think, beauty.

Judy

Back