• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New street station masters.

robert

master brummie
Did new street station master's ever wear top hat and tails, if so when did the practice end.

Thanks, Robert.

Hi Robert: When I worked in the office at New Street Station in 1957 the Station Master did wear a top hat and tails for special occasions
i.e Royalty arriving via train swas one instance. I remember the Station Master from that time, Mr. Smith, all rigged out in his gear when Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother came for a visit. He wore a red rose also. I also remember the staff repainting the white lines along the edge of the platform where the Queen would be alighting from her carriage. Here's an interesting article about this. I am glad that I saw Mr. Smith all dressed up that day. He was so proud. https://nationalrailwaymuseum.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/100-years-of-station-master-memories/

Hi Jennyann,

I remember seeing the Station Master in top hat and tails several times
in the early to middle 50's
Am I correct in thinking he had an office half way down that little curved
stairway that led down to Platform 6?

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Dave, I believe that you are correct about the Station Master's office in the l950's at New Street Station. I remember seeing him come up those stairs dressed to the nines as it were on the day that the Queen Mother visited Birmingham. It would be nice to know what other celebrities he dressed up for. There were many high profile people that arrived in Brum by train back then. American film stars, for one, famous actors and actresses arriving for Repetory theatre plays, etc.

Mr. Smith's secretary interviewed me for my job at New Street. She had her own office adjoining the main secretarial pool. She was formidable but not standoffish. Let's face it, New Street Station back then was a fascinating and grubby place. I can understand why the Station Master had his own office away from the other offices. On hand problem solver needed to be close to the action. There were not many separate offices in the station complex. There was one large office with several departments operating from it. No cubicles or even desks...long polished wooden tables with each department having it's own area. Parcels, Excursions, etc. The Office Manager, Mr. Warrington, had his own office and I can still picture to this day.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the link re Wolverhampton station master. I can remember that Wolverhampton High Level and Wolverhampton
Low Level stations were different to some others in the Region. They only had one station master at both as they were very close to each other
when they were operative. A fax machine was installed in our office at Birmingham New Street in 1958.
A noisy hulk of a thing that operated on a radio wave principle using a black powder which imprinted the words and pictures electronically on to a chemically treated paper via a spinning drum. The powder often came off on your hands. Most of the messages I remember receiving came from Wolverhampton. I think that the installation of these fax machines in Birmingham New Street and Wolverhampton Stations were an experiment only. Not much happened with smaller fax machines until the 1970's.

Back