• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Street Station (I think not)

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
This was published in todays Birmingham Mail nostalgia section. I just wonder where the obviously non Brummie editor and presumably the reporter as well think where New Street Station is on the photo The RSA, The Town Hall? I wonder if they also realise that New Street Station opened in 1854 some 5 years after the date given for this drawing?

Attachments

• New Street.jpg
    New Street.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 60
Well Phil, I wonder what they would have done with a picture of Soho station. Probably commented that , at that time, London was not as built-up as now.

Mike

I just don't understand it, I thought that Carl Chinn still worked for the Birmingham Mail, So why leave this sort of thing to somebody like a reporter who obviously hasn't got a clue?

Certainly not in the correct place for New Street railway station. Yes, it is New Street but I wonder when that building was altered or demolished. It looks an quite important edifice, was it the original seat of city government (Council House)? The present Council House seems to date from 1879.

That photo was part of a set of photos on "Vanished Birmingham" the Birmingham Mail published here:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/vanished-birmingham---amazing-buildings-9450956

But if you scroll down to the bottom of that page you see two comments added pointing out two errors in the set of photos.

One person said of the "New Street" photo "Picture 1 is not the old frontage of New St Station. It is a view along part the western section of New Street towards the Town Hall. The portico on the right is the entrance to the original Royal Birmingham Society of Artists building".

guilbert

My photo comes from the actual newspaper, yes the other photos are there but the page is arranged differently and there is no explanation about the photo being in error. My point is that if they don't know the city well then these newspaper people should leave this sort of article to those that do.

My guess is a sloppy sub editor, if they still employ them, or a replacement photo chosen merely to fit the layout rather than the text. Disgraceful from a local newspaper.

radio rails #4, I think the building on the right is the RBSA (Royal Birmingham Society of Artists) although it may not have had its Royal patronage at the time and was just BSA, it moved Brooke St in the jewelry quarter some years ago (sad to say) Eric

The image is a lithographed drawing by Charles Walter Radclyffe of New Street and the Portico of the Birmingham Academy of Arts as it was known when it opened in 1814 in 1868 it received royal patronage and was renamed The Royal Birmingham Society of Artists. In 1999 it moved to Brook St just off St Pauls Square.

Here's another painting and a photo of the old premises on New Street.

Attachments

• City New St Birmingham RSA.jpg
    City New St Birmingham RSA.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 21
  • City New St Birmingham Royal Society of Arts.jpg
    City New St Birmingham Royal Society of Arts.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I noticed this mistake straight away. That will then be passed on on FB, and become 'fact',
The Society of Arts Portico New Street.
society of arts portico new street birmingham.jpg

Back