• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New street amusement arcade

B

BOBBY77

Does anyone remember the amusement arcade on new street ? It was down stairs below an ice cream parlour circa 1985. ANY PHOTOS WOULD BE GREAT THANK YOU

I remember the ice cream shop Dayvilles and vaguely remember the fruit machines, was it early 80s? sorry no photos though

Yes that is the one many happy days spent in there playing the machines lol

Hi, Yes, remember it well. It was videogames and ice cream up stairs and videogames downstairs. I started going there when Asteroids came out, around 1980. I have just started a group on Friends Reunited:https://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/d...ingham/b/bb922233-8da9-45fd-ae02-a14c0124818a I'm not sure whether I have any more photos but still have some to scan. Anyway, posted a couple of shots of the games. Feel free to add any memories, games or otherwise. Kind Regards, Gar

I remember it well!. Would also love to see any photos. I found this video which briefly shows the outside as the car drives past:

Use to go to Dayvilles all the time do not recall the arcade games, but would go from Rednal into town and pick up ice cream for me mum, I would always get some kind of shake mid to late 70's.

One time running around town on our lunch break driving in a Mini Moke I owned I turned left up the side of Dayvilles the guys started laughing I look around one guy is eating a ice cream cone ?, as I made the turn some poor guy was on the curb with his cone and my work mate leaned out of the Moke and took it, that became a big problem later that day at work.

• Appreciate
Reactions: rjt
Dayvilles was one of the only places in the city centre open on sundays in the 80s. I remember it being full of truants and cigarette smoke down stairs on week days and seemed like a “bad” place to hang out. Anyone remember the hot dogs on heated rollers in the window? They were quite expensive and I don’t think I ever saw anyone buy one.

Hi, Yes, remember it well. It was videogames and ice cream up stairs and videogames downstairs. I started going there when Asteroids came out, around 1980. I have just started a group on Friends Reunited:https://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/d...ingham/b/bb922233-8da9-45fd-ae02-a14c0124818a I'm not sure whether I have any more photos but still have some to scan. Anyway, posted a couple of shots of the games. Feel free to add any memories, games or otherwise. Kind Regards, Gar
Around the mid 80s the 2 player Kung fu games were the latest thing and always had 3 or 4 kids crowded round them. I’m guessing it was street fighter or maybe mortal combat?

Does anyone remember the amusement arcade on new street ? It was down stairs below an ice cream parlour circa 1985. ANY PHOTOS WOULD BE GREAT THANK YOU
Yeah I remember walking around town on a weekend with mates then in the evening when most of the shops would close we'd go to dayvillles. I remember they used to sell ice cream upstairs. And downstairs there was arcade games with everybody crowded around watching the gameplay and waiting for your turn on the game.

Yeah I remember walking around town on a weekend with mates then in the evening when most of the shops would close we'd go to dayvillles. I remember they used to sell ice cream upstairs. And downstairs there was arcade games with everybody crowded around watching the gameplay and waiting for your turn on the game. Im sure the outrun driving game was in there

Back