• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Solid State Drive

warren

Administrator
Staff member
As you may have noticed, the site is somewhat up and down at the moment, I "had" traced it to Hard drive issues which is why i moved it to a Virtual Server so the whole site is encased in one file that could be easily moved to a new Drive.

I did do this however the drive it now sits on is fairly old and unreliable, looking at how much data we use compared to the need for performance I have chosen to replace the drive with a new Solid State drive.

This has a lot of advantages: -

1. They last about 2 million hours, (approx 228 years)
  2. They have no moving parts
  3. All the data contained on it can be access at the same time no matter where it is on the disk
  4. No fragmentation
  5. Speed they are much much faster than traditional drives.

This is due to arrive sometime next week, so next weekend I will take the server offline and move it over to the new Solid State one.

I replaced my knackered hdd with a ssd. Unfortunately my laptop is only sata 11 so the speed is about the same as my old hdd. I`m surprised pc manufacturers haven`t ditched hdd & use ssd instead.

A lot now have, as prices plummet more and more are ditching them they are far superior

I`m surprised pc manufacturers haven`t ditched hdd & use ssd instead.

Well a 1TB SSD is still more expensive than a 1TB hard drive so that would drive up the cost of the laptop.

A 1TB SSD can be about £300 whereas a 1TB hard drive for a laptop is about £50.

My laptop has a 128gb msata 2.0 solid state and 1tb normal HDD

The msata works a bit like memory it's clipped into the main board.

disk has now arrived, I will "attempt" to hot install it to minimise the downtime (it's possible to move a hyper V while active)

this will be done this evening.

couldn't do a hot swap so I had to shut it all down and move it.

This has now been completed and the Hyper V and Site are now on the solid state drive, boot up to Hyper V went from 10 minutes to <1 minute.

The site is running very fast for me .... the search function is virtually instantaneous .... very nice ...:)

Excellent, Warren! Search seems very fast indeed, now all I have to combat is the abysmally slow internet speed in inland Crete, 1.6 to 1.8 Mbps on a good day! Thanks.

Maurice

Back