• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New server next Saturday 13th

warren

Administrator
Staff member
The site will unavailable for a couple of hours or so next Saturday as I migrate the site to a new I7 server to replace our aging one.

The main OS will be moved to an SSD as well which means all HDD's will be solid state. The new server will be much more eco friendly as well.

To all those members who donate to the Forum funds, this is where the monies go to, this is going to be a major upgrade !
Warren has been struggling with the old equipment for a long time and has done a remarkable job, I liken his position as taking a knife to a gunfight.
I know we are all going to benefit from this upgrade and once again , "thank you Son for keeping the Forum going ":)

Thanks Warren and Jim. Like Janice, I too don’t understand the technical stuff, but I know many of us are grateful for all the work that goes on behind the scenes. I’m sure Warren puts a lot of sweat and tears into keeping us up and running. And has done so for a long time.

The Forum seems to be making steady progress in terms of membership and it makes sense to be able to continue to cater for (what seems to me) a very lively and informative forum. Despite all the alternative means of discussion via social media etc, this has to be the most helpful, informative and approachable forum on Birmingham history.

So thank you both of you for making this possible. And keep up the good work. Much appreciated.

Viv.

To help those who don't understand the technology

The site will unavailable for a couple of hours or so next Saturday as I migrate the site to a new I7 server to replace our aging one.

A "server" is normally a large more powerful computer used as a "central" computer by a company or organization. An "i7" relates to the power of the Intel CPU (Central processing Unit).

All computers, tablets and phones have a CPU (the "brain" of the device as some people label it) and an Intel i7 is one of their more powerful CPUs.

The main OS will be moved to an SSD as well which means all HDD's will be solid state. The new server will be much more eco friendly as well.

The OS (Operating System) is the software that runs the computer. Many of us use an OS of Windows on our computers, and maybe Android on our phones, but there are dozens of different operating systems (such as Linux, Mac OS, iOS etc).

A HDD is a Hard Disk Drive that is used to store all the data on a computer. It has spinning "disks" so has moveable parts and in the worst case can "crash", losing all the data (however that rarely happens).

An SSD is a Solid State Drive that can also be used to store all the data on a computer but it has no moving parts so cant "crash".

These are already used in tablets and smartphones (which is how they can be so small) and on "SD Cards" (or similar) used in cameras and other devices, but gradually they are being used more and more in computers as they are quicker and quieter than HDDs.

They also use less power (hence the eco friendly).

Last edited:
To help those who don't understand the technology

A "server" is normally a large more powerful computer used as a "central" computer by a company or organization. An "i7" relates to the power of the Intel CPU (Central processing Unit).

All computers, tablets and phones have a CPU (the "brain" of the device as some people label it) and an Intel i7 is one of their more powerful CPUs.

The OS (Operating System) is the software that runs the computer. Many of us use an OS of Windows on our computers, and maybe Android on our phones, but there are dozens of different operating systems (such as Linux, Mac OS, iOS etc).

A HDD is a Hard Disk Drive that is used to store all the data on a computer. It has spinning "disks" so has moveable parts and in the worst case can "crash", losing all the data (however that rarely happens).

An SSD is a Solid State Drive that can also be used to store all the data on a computer but it has no moving parts so cant "crash".

These are already used in tablets and smartphones (which is how they can be so small) and on "SD Cards" (or similar) used in cameras and other devices, but gradually they are being used more and more in computers as they are quicker and quieter than HDDs.

They also use less power (hence the eco friendly).
Nicely explained. Thank you

Back