• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

new scam on desk top

sidwho

master brummie
i was on my lap top yesterday, surfacing the web. the i had what a thik was cookie come up. it read your computer is locked and to unlock it will cots you onehundred pounds. this was supposed to be produced by the police to say that you are or have being going on improper sites. if you do get one of these on your screen, restart pc, go into safe settings and do a system restore and all will be well. kind reguards sidwho

bernie, many thanks for your quick and link. the reason why i put my lap top in to safe mode was because when this happened i could not get off my desk top. it looked like the pc was locked. hope this makes sence to you. i did run all virus and malware afterwards and total cleaned my lap top as per your surgesstion. kind reguards sidwho

I seem to be having an awful lot of scam emails asking for money although going into my junk folder. I block them straight away, but I never had so many as I am getting now. I wonder what has caused the upsurge.

Thanks sidwho and Bernie for the info.
Carolina, I have had a lot of these too, maybe its the time of year!! The current biggie for me, despite blocking it, is puporting to be from Fedex and asks you to re-arrange a delivery, then wants bank details
Sue

I have just had one supposedly from Virgin. I checked it and of course its a scam. I have forwarded to [email protected] I think they will be inundated!!!

I get the amusing message shown below on all my emails from BHF. It surprised me when I first saw it sometime in January, but I then noticed the BHF had changed email address .. so all is well it was not a scam ..:encouragement:

! This message may not have been sent by: '[email protected]' Report phishing

Hi

Yep cookies pop ups dreadful things. Can destroy you in a moment. Wrecked my little Lap top.
Solved via going backwards to a restore. Took some time but touch wood havent had much go
wrong. Noticed my Battery charger wasnt charging up to 100%. It gradually went down to around
79%. Bought a new Battery Pack £10 on line and fixed it. Snap in charge up green light Wow

Mike Jenks

Phising scam! In the last few days I have received a series of emails that appear to be from TV Licensing people. Your license has expired, needs to be renewed etc. etc.
Looks authentic but they ask too many questions and quote the wrong number for the previous license. I have checked with TV Licensing they have confirmed that is a known scam.

I have quite a few e-mail addresses - all for differing purposes. However, the GMail one I have - needed only for signing in to You Tube and Hangouts - gets many SPAM mails, most of which are decidedly suspect! Consignments by overseas delivery people, and others that are so obvious that they are instantly deleted. I know very few people with African names. :D

I am still waiting for the $100million that that Doctor chap in Africa promised to send me!!!

I've had emails from Customs and Revenue informing me that I'm owed something like £400 because of an administrative error years ago, and I should click the link to claim my money. No, thanks. And a few times I've had a pop-up appear supposedly from McAvee antivirus telling me my subscription has expired and I should click the link to renew it. Since my subscription is still well active, I ignored the thing. When I need to renew I'll visit the site home page properly to make sure.

Regards, Ray T.

Ray, I frequently get a reminder from McFee about renewing subscription and I do not even pay for it, it is a part of my BT package. Eric

It is even more interesting with business computers because you receive emails from known sources. The email address is that of a company you deal with or in my case recently from one of my sons. The actual email will tell you either that an Invoice is attached (and the unwary, immediately click on it and bingo the phisher is in) or just contain a link webmail or email address. The days of the Nigerian politician and the friend in trouble are long gone. Unless the person at the receiving end is mature and savvy, there is a very good chance that a youngster will click on the link and open up the system to the phisher. Our system is networked and very securely firewalled and the youngsters are under strict instructions not to open any links, unless they are expecting them, even so our network provider advised that once the document has been opened unless we get to them within about 15minutes, the site will have been compromised. However my wife takes about 6 calls a day from her computer provider (she does not use one), from her broadband provider, from her bank and pension provider, but the best was the other day to say that HMRC had issued a warrant for her arrest and the police were on their way, but by pressing 9 she could put everything on hold while the caller investigated further. We are still waiting.........
Bob

Some phone calls, with what looks like a normal type telephone number, I had one recently with an Exeter number - so fairly local - but not recognising it I checked on-line to see who it was. It was a scam! These calls ask you to ring back or press some digit which, it seems, hooks you into some dial up line which, I presume, they can use but you foot the bills. :eek: My telephone often goes into voicemail before we get to answer so any message left by these people can be ignored and few seem to leave a message.. Their telephone numbers are often distinctive which does alert you to the probability of a SCAM.
Our motto with unknown calls is "if it is that important" they will call again. Other type of calls are either a scam or nuisance. I get very few of these, my ISP seems to block those it is aware of. But for those who do fall through the net - usually foreign voices - an easy ploy is to ask then to speak in a language that you know, but is not widely known. French or German are not a good choices, however, as they are widely known. TalkTalk/AOL seem to be up to their game with these calls as they rarely offer me SPAM e-mail.

The days of the Nigerian politician....are long gone.

No they are not.

My main "family" email address (only used for my local family) somehow got on a "spam" distribution list about 2 years ago and I get about 20 spam emails a day.

Many of those (about a third) are people saying I have a huge amount of money (often millions) coming to me.

It can be from all sorts of people - African politicians or African bankers, CIA Agents, US soldiers in Afghanistan, also someone called Friedrich Mayrhofer offering to donate $ 1,000,000.00 to me, and Secretary General: Mr. António Guterres from the United Nations (UN) offering me a huge amount of money.

I even got one the other day from "John F. Kelly. The White house chief of staff. "

Most of them are US based (Trump Medicare is mentioned a lot).

I have moved my family email to a new email address but keep hoping that one day someone will stop the b*****s who are sending out these spam emails, but it has been going on for 2 years so don't expect it to stop now.

Back