• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Regiment

dennis

master brummie
On Saturday 1st September 2007, a New regiment will enter the order of battle in the British army.The regiment will be known as The MERCIAN REGIMENT, and will be formed by the merger of all regular and territorial elements of three famous Infantry Regiments, The 22nd (Cheshire)Regiment, The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment and the Staffordshire Regiment

PS would enclose pic of new badge,but I haven't got round to doing that yet sorry

Dennis in reply to your e-mail the badge they are going to use is....
The Double Headed Eagle which is from the arms of Emperor Franz Joseph1
of Austria ........Shades of a new European army in the making

Well, I don't know. Don't mean any disrespect to the lads but that looks like road kill rooster to me. Do they pay someone to come up with this crap? How about canal bridge over dueling computers..keyboard rampant.
Was it not over Frans Joseph that millions of us were killed, thereby forcing our nation into a decline. Not a good omen.

Last edited:
Rupert it was the badge of the 1st Kings Dragoon Guards & Ist Queens Dragoon Guards but read into it what you will ( I think you know what I think)

Well, I suppose, heraldry whatever. Why don't they come up with new stuff that better represents a modern nation. There are no kings or emperors in Europe now are there? Frans Joseph...can't we move on?

Rupert, The WW1 & WW2 are still being fought......but in a very clever way
Bind us together so we cannot fight one another ......
My views and my views only (I must stress)
Is their a better way ?

Personally.
I would have thought that they could have come up with a badge
that ties all the regiments to-gether
The new RegimentalHQ will be established at Whittington Bks. with out stations in Chester &Nottingham....
TheirMottoe........"Stand Firm & Srike Hard"

It gives a different source for the cap badge on their site. see here,

The Mercian Regimental Badge of a Saxon Crown over a Double Headed Eagle was reputedly the Crest of Leofric, Earl of Mercia and there is evidence that the emblem of the Mercian Eagle can be traced back as far as the 8th/9th Centuries

https://www.army.mod.uk/mercian/regiment.htm

Very Clever Nick......I will post pics tomorrow and make what you will

Nick, As I have studied Heraldry I know quite a lot about it. Note how the word
Reputedly is used
Quote from the website
The Mercian Regimental Badge of a Saxon Crown over a Double Headed Eagle was reputedly the Crest of Leofric, Earl of Mercia and there is evidence that the emblem of the Mercian Eagle can be traced back as far as the 8th/9th Centuries.

If it is the Crest of Leofric (husband of Lady Godiva) why was it not used in the coat of arms of Coventry as I understood the crest of Leofric was a black eagle, heraldry is a very complex subject and it has to be right first time so a word like Reputedly should not be used but I suppose like other things happening it has been well thought out and in time will be thought of as fact in this age of Spin
(Note Crest's Arms and badges are different anyone can design a badge)
As an added note Cheshires,Staffs and Worcs. Mergered
Did not Leofric massacre the population on Worcs. in 1035 with another chap......

Quoting a page from one of my books….
The Complete Guide of Heraldry by Arthur Charles Fox-Davies
The origins of the double headed eagle has been the subject of endless controversy (pic 3) Nisbet states that the Imperial eagle was " not one eagle with two heads, but two eagles, the one laid upon the other, and their heads separate, looking different ways, which represent the two heads of the Empire after it was divided into East and West." The whole discussion is an apt example of the habit of earlier writers to find or provide hidden meanings and symbolisms when no such meanings existed. The real truth undoubtedly is that the double-headed eagle was an accepted figure long before heraldry came into existence, and that when the displayed eagle was usurped by armory as one of its peculiarly heraldic figures, the single-headed and double-headed varieties were used indifferently, until the double-headed eagle became stereotyped as the Imperial emblem. Napoleon, however, reverted to the single-headed eagle, and the present German Imperial eagle has likewise only one head.
The Imperial eagle of Napoleon had little in keeping with then existing armorial types of the bird. There can be little doubt that the model upon which it was based was the Roman Eagle of the Caesars as it figured upon the head of the Roman standards. In English terms of blazon the Napoleonic eagle would be " An eagle displayed with wings inverted, the head to the sinister, standing upon a thunderbolt
The then existing double-headed eagles of Austria and Russia probably supply the reason why, when the German Empire was created, the Prussian eagle in a modified form was preferred to the resuscitation of the older double-headed eagle, which had theretofore been more usually accepted as the symbol of Empire.
First pic is the Arms of Mathew of Paris for Emperor Fredrich II 1250c
Second pic is a Russian Military Badge note the George and Dragon in the middle
As the Russian German and British royal families were all connected

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad to see the latest casualty's from Afghan are from the Mercian Regiment, heartfelt condolances to the families and friends and comrades of the fallen, they come from a remarkable and ancient warrior class from the heartlands of England.

Sad to see the latest casualty's from Afghan are from the Mercian Regiment, heartfelt condolances to the families and friends and comrades of the fallen, they come from a remarkable and ancient warrior class from the heartlands of England.
Hi, its sad wherever these brave lads come from, everyone knows it a war we can not win, I am still trying
to work out why we are there in the name of NATO, its just another pup we have been sold by George W
Bush.They should bring our lads home PDQ, take care now Bernard.

Back