• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Printer/Scanner/Copier

N

Neville Philpott

I am looking to purchase a new all in one printer/scanner/copier, what would you folks suggest i should look at or consider for a short list?

thank you..

As Jenny says you really need to establish what you will be wanting it for. The Epson we have currently is fine for most things but falls down a little on photo printing on photo paper. I still mourn the seperate devices at reasonable cost as you could target your money better. As well as the PCadvisor site look also at www.Computeractive.co.uk for recommendations.

Would also advise "air printer" is included as you will then be able to print from the likes of the ipad, maybe not needed at the moment but may be useful for the future. I paid under £50 for a HP three in one printer with wifi and air printing from Tesco last year.

Last edited:
Note - Air Print is particular to Apple devices not Android. Android will be able to print via WiFi/Bluetooth etc.

Also consider the price of ink for a particular printer. Some can be really expensive!

A good point Charlie. The printer ink price is very important. It's so expensive. For regular printers very often the printer is cheaper than the ink cartridge!

Thanks folks appreciate all your advice and suggestions.

Neville...

I have a new Printer that will not take compatable inks. I will not name it in case I get into trouble. Can anyone make suggestions on how to overcome this problem, have I wasted my money? GEFF

I have a new Printer that will not take compatable inks. I will not name it in case I get into trouble. Can anyone make suggestions on how to overcome this problem, have I wasted my money? GEFF
My wife buys compatible cartridges already filled with ink from ebay. Just type in `compatible ink cartridges` for whatever make of printer you have. Quality is not quite as good as original ink but okay & a lot cheaper.

The point about Printer ink has already been mentioned. I've got an HP Officejet and the price of cartridges is horrendous.

I got my last ones from Cartridge World, which were actually cheaper than local supermarkets.

Whilst I was in there, I asked about the most economical Printers, Ink wise, and was told Brother and another brand that I can't remember.

If you have an Ink/Cartridge supplier nearby, then it is always worth calling in for advice as to running costs v your needs.

Unless i am printing photographs in colour i now always use purely Black and White for everything else.

Also, Black and White printer cartridges are much cheaper than colour.

I recently bought a new HP Envy 5646 it prints scans and copies by wifi or usb from any of my computers/tablets, it also prints on both sides of the paper, seems excellent kit so far, also I signed up for HP's 'Instant ink' scheme, the printer tells HP when ink's needed and it automatically comes in the post before it runs out.

There are several deals available, mine costs £1.99 a month for 50 pages, enough for me and it amounts to the price of one cartridge a year roughly a good deal I think for genuine ink.

If I don't use all 50 the unused portion rolls over to the next month, if I need to use more I can have an extra 15 pages for £1.

Hi,

I have had an HP Deskjet 3520 for several years, and have found it to be very reliable, and the
copying/printing quality excellent

Kind regards
Dave

Back