• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Phone - Any Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi you are most likely too young to know...it is where 2 house holds shared the same phone line...basically when you made a call and then ended it the other person could then use their phone...the only thing was if you picked up your receiver while the other person was having a conversation you could hear what they were saying and likewise they could listen in on your conversations...it went on trust but if you had a nosey 2nd party privacy was not always given :D :D think ive got that about right...

lyn
In the 60s we had a party line for a while - something to do with a lack of lines. Ours seemed to work OK. As soon as more lines were available we had our own line.

My business line was a party line for the first two years , trouble was the other party was an old lady gossip always on the phone when I tried to place orders with suppliers and very rude if asked to let me use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back