• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Nechells And Aston Photos

Last three:

5. Nechells Green football team 1911 – 1912. Muriel’s Uncle Frank Phillips played for WBA (back end of 1800’s).

6. Alf Garbett Snr – 2nd Row. Where did they do ‘circular tours’. Boy in cap – Muriel's Uncle, George Garbett.

7. Christmas party at L H Newton. Muriel is on far right of picture, at table. Back row: Ken?, ?, Miss James, ?, ?, ?, Mr McClaren, Peter, ?, ?, ?, Diane, ?, Rita Gallagher, ?, ?, Muriel.

I posted the last post before i had written it (silly me) anyway i was just going to say that you are correct in naming Rita Gallagher she was my cousin she is sadly no longer with us but she must have been young in this photo , i to worked at newtons in the toolroom and later on in the transport dept in thimble mill lane newtons was a place of work for many of my family over the years.
Philbee

off nechells park road..could anyone identify the pub as it looks more like lichfield road to me...there again i stand to be corrected

The pub is the New Inns on the corner of Stuart Street. Teddy Fenn's butchers shop was the second shop along from the corner of Trevor Street going towards town.
Bryan.

prince of wales pub longacre nechells this one shows newtons factory on the right which has already been mentioned on this thread

Great photo Lyn, taken from the corner of Thimblemill Lane & Walter Street, by the old BRS parcels depot.
Bryan.

yes a great photo gerry ..i think i posted it on the bartons arms thread some years back

all the best

lyn

its always good to post any photo gerry even if you are not sure we have it...better to have 2 than none at all

lyn

L H Newton the nut & bolt factory took up a part of a block formed by Long Acre, Thimble Mill Lane & High Park Street in Nechells. See the attached map and photo. The photo is of the factory on the left

View attachment 126881 View attachment 126882
Good evening my grand father and my father used to work at L.H Newton & co back in 1965 or somewhere around there. My grand father was known as big Jim but they was Asian, does anyone know any thing about them or worked with them?

Last three:

5. Nechells Green football team 1911 – 1912. Muriel’s Uncle Frank Phillips played for WBA (back end of 1800’s).

6. Alf Garbett Snr – 2nd Row. Where did they do ‘circular tours’. Boy in cap – Muriel's Uncle, George Garbett.

7. Christmas party at L H Newton. Muriel is on far right of picture, at table. Back row: Ken?, ?, Miss James, ?, ?, ?, Mr McClaren, Peter, ?, ?, ?, Diane, ?, Rita Gallagher, ?, ?, Muriel.
Last three:

Some of the names I remember are Peter Smith used to go to the newsagents to get 20 Senior service, Mrs Bowcutt. Vera cannot remember her surname but was always singing Hymns. Mr. Hobday and Mr. Hodges, one used to sit in front of the other, cannot remember if it was a girl called Beryl or Rita married a Blues footballer and he was transferred to Lincoln. Used to have sports day at Lucas sports ground Perry Barr

Good evening my grand father and my father used to work at L.H Newton & co back in 1965 or somewhere around there. My grand father was known as big Jim but they was Asian, does anyone know any thing about them or worked with them?
and my nan did she always smelled of suds oil bless her:)

Back