• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Nechells And Aston Photos

hi debsy buttons could be the large dark building maybe someone will know for sure...dont know why but i had it in the back of my mind that the old buttons factory was still standing but i cant see it on streetview..maybe just wishful thinking

lyn

hi debsy buttons could be the large dark building maybe someone will know for sure...dont know why but i had it in the back of my mind that the old buttons factory was still standing but i cant see it on streetview..maybe just wishful thinking

lyn
Hi Lyn, sadly the big dark building is no longer there, I was there last weekend (19 August) there's a big new development called "Masons" on that site.

The Manor Tavern on the corner is still there and is still in business, and 1-2 buildings adjoining the pub are still standing.

According to the c1952 map it was that building. there was another building also on the opposite side of the street, not shown in the photo

A couple of pics edited to slightly reduce the red colour cast from the originals.
No artificial colours added.
From post#27 Old Building
Ximg300.jpg
From post#42 Salvation Army
Ximg317.jpg

Re post #27 Dr Morgan and later (or earlier ?) Dr Fresh Water was my Doctor in the 50's, I really admired that houseThe Doctors Aston Hall Road.jpg , so much so I recently painted it from one of Lyn's pics

lovely painting eric and such a travesty that we no longer have that building

lyn

Great pictures Lyn, just shows that there are amazing photos out there waiting to be discovered. Have you seen the aerial picture of Parliament Street, Park Lane and Clarendon Street taken in 1938? John

thanks jackie i hope your father in law enjoys looking at them

hi john no i dont think i have seen the aerial shot where will i find it ?

lyn

Hi Lyn, I originally found it on facebook (astonbrook-through-astonmanor) via John K Colin (I think he posts on here too). The website is www.britainfromabove.org.uk and the image you want is EPW057471 there are loads of interesting images on there.

john i have looked on the britain from above site a few times...found my old street which was very interesting...must go onto it again:)

Back