• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Nechells And Aston Photos

prince of wales pub longacre nechells this one shows newtons factory on the right which has already been mentioned on this thread

Attachments

• img338.jpg
    img338.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 86
A few comments and additions
Post 22 is Portland St

Post 23 is largely Thimblemill lane taken from the end of Wainwright St

Post 25 is looking at junction Wainwright st and Sandy Lane, taken from opposite side of road in post 23

Post 29 is 118 Aston road

Post 31 is 178 Victoria road

Post 32 and is 33. Sandhurst spraying co , according to Kellys is at 38AVictoria road from at least 1950. However , according to the c1950 map 38 is next to a large factory, (see below) and this does not look like the photo, well not the one in post 33.

Post 34 is 178 to about 210 victoria road

Post 47. This is L.R.Morgan, 119 Aston road, corner of Hubert St

Post 56 E.R,Fenn, butcher was at 82 Nechells park road, which makes the pub the New Inns, corner Stuart st

golden cross with tower...aston cross
Thanks for this one, it was where I first met my wife at a jazz club upstairs on a Saturday night 59 years ago last April. Proposed on July 4th, married December 26th, rural Cornwall and returned home Park Avenue, Handsworth, that evening 2000hrs train from Plymouth to Bristol and then a train on 27th early am 0100hrs back to Birmingham. That evening we went to see Tommy Steele in Tommy the Toreador .......remember Little White Bull. I will download a copy of the photo for the family history pile Supposed to be a file, but still a loose pile.

Lyn

Some nice photos, I have to agree with Mike's analysis of the images with no title as far as can see he is right on every count.

thanks phil....i always say any photos are worth having..never know what we may find

lyn

Excellent Lyn, and that's very true - never, ever, chuck away a photograph, however old. Somewhere in someone's pile is just the one you've been looking for for the last twenty years.

Maurice

totally agree maurice there are still a few places i am searching for and i am so lucky that over the years people seem to chuck old photos at me..i dont mind as they all end up on here:)

Last edited:
I had a go with an 'equalise' to show the colours which are in the original photo (post#21) of the Duke of Wellington. No colours have been added or any creases removed.
DukeofWellingtonWainwrightSt.jpg

Last edited:
off nechells park road..could anyone identify the pub as it looks more like lichfield road to me...there again i stand to be corrected

Yes this is the New Inns as someone else has said, apparently my granddad, Harold Lee's second home, on the corner of Stuart Street and Nechells Park Road. Interesting that in the background the new style housing can be seen springing up beyond the Methodist Church.

Last edited:
phew thats it folks there are a couple with no locations on the backs but i have an idea where they are...will let you digest these first and post them in a day or so...

lyn
Hi Lyn, just wanted to say it was amazing looking at these photos - the first one of Wainwright street/Thimble Mill Lane beautifully captures my Dad's old wood yard "Royden" and the second one captures Buttons Factory just up the road in Portland Street, the best years of my Mum's working life!

Does anyone know if Buttons was the big dark imposing factory at the bottom of the hill on the left?

Back