• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Nechells And Aston Photos

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks just been given a load of old privately taken black and whites of nechells and aston...i am away all next week but watch this space because i will be scanning and posting them all on this thread when i get back...they just keep turning up dont they..great for this forum:)

lyn

thanks pen and mort will do:) there are more photos than i thought at first...round about 40:):) pen look forward to the pics before wing yip i do have an interest in that part of nechells

lyn

Last edited:
Hope you've got some of Thimble Mill Lane, and Radiation Gas Fires, where I did my apprenticeship Lyn.
Look forward to seeing them.

sorry EB none from there but some interesting ones none the less..as said will get them on here as soon as i get back...

lyn

My photos are from a wonderful lady called Muriel. I'm afraid I lost touch with her after my mother died, however she gave me these photos for the Nechells Local History Society some years ago. The notes below are some memories that Muriel gave me:

Muriel Lander nee Garbett attended Charles Arthur St School where she was Captain around 1948. She now lives in Boldmere.

She sang in the Rocky Lane Church choir with her cousin Gladys Davies.

Muriel went for a job in the drawing office but was told that she couldn’t work there as they only had men at that time. Muriel said she had the letter offering her an interview so they agreed to let her do the test and she passed and they gave her a job.

They sent her to college to study shorthand and typing. She used to run the errands and get presents for the men to give to their wives and girlfriends.

She remembers the first flats being built and they had a competition at school to furnish one of them. She won the competition and was given a silver pen.

Muriel ran the netball team at L H Newton.

First photo shows the Fishing Team at LH Newton’s around 1951. Standing at the back is Alf Garbett, M’s grandfather who owned the chip shop in Thimble Mill Lane. Standing at the left is Stan? L-R – Stan’s wife, ? Terry, Henry ? and Sid Martin?

Attachments

• Muriel 1.jpg
    Muriel 1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 97
Next three:

No.2
Outside the Fish and Chip shop in Thimble Mill Lane – Alf Garbett and Tom Parry.

No. 3
Outside toilets in yard (where Wing Yip gates are now). Main gates to the Municipal Bank. In the flat over the bank lived the midwives Nurse Kent & Nurse Huckaby. Muriel with bike.

No. 4
On the step at Grandad’s fish and chip shop. Alf Garbett Snr & maid/shopworker etc. Nancy. Cuckoo Road in early 1900’s. Definitely before WW1.

Attachments

• Muriel 2.jpg
    Muriel 2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Muriel 3.jpg
    Muriel 3.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 107
  • Muriel 4.jpg
    Muriel 4.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 106
Last three:

5. Nechells Green football team 1911 – 1912. Muriel’s Uncle Frank Phillips played for WBA (back end of 1800’s).

6. Alf Garbett Snr – 2nd Row. Where did they do ‘circular tours’. Boy in cap – Muriel's Uncle, George Garbett.

7. Christmas party at L H Newton. Muriel is on far right of picture, at table. Back row: Ken?, ?, Miss James, ?, ?, ?, Mr McClaren, Peter, ?, ?, ?, Diane, ?, Rita Gallagher, ?, ?, Muriel.

Attachments

• Muriel 5.jpg
    Muriel 5.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 85
  • Muriel 6 .jpg
    Muriel 6 .jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Muriel 7.jpg
    Muriel 7.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 87
what wonderful photos pen and lovely history from muriel to go with them...thanks pen oh and i am so pleased muriel got that job..:)

Sorry Elmdon Boy, I don't know exactly but I think it must have been not far from where Muriel lived. I seem to remember that it's been mentioned on theforum before. I'm sure someone will tell us.

I am looking forward to seeing these photo's Lyn....anything to do with Aston gets my attention....I am also away next week down in Cornwall...Coverack...

Where was L H Newton Pen?

L H Newton the nut & bolt factory took up a part of a block formed by Long Acre, Thimble Mill Lane & High Park Street in Nechells. See the attached map and photo. The photo is of the factory on the left

L H Newton..JPG Nechells Long Acre (2).jpg

Thanks for the location Phil, interesting to see the opposite corner called South Pole Corner. I cant remember it being called that in the 1960s. Where did it get its name from, any offers.
The dispensary in Thimble mill lane, is that where the Lloyds bank was in the 60s.

Thanks for the location Phil, interesting to see the opposite corner called South Pole Corner. I cant remember it being called that in the 1960s. Where did it get its name from, any offers.
The dispensary in Thimble mill lane, is that where the Lloyds bank was in the 60s.

Elmdon Boy,

If I am honest I will tell you I haven't a clue, but there again a lot of places in Nechells had names that I never heard them called by until I saw some of the old maps years after they had gone.

i have just started to scan the promised 40 odd new photos of aston and nechells will get them posted asap folks..

lyn

Back