• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Member --Hello All

C

cdnirish

I just wanted to say hi to all and add I found this site when I googled looking for info on "The Anglia" that was struck down off the coast of Dover.

I found a post by member cromell dated Mar 2006 and in it he mentions my Grandfather, George Ebenezer KNIGHT as having survived. I have all his war records and his medals and all indications are that he was missing and presumed drowned.

Does anybody know how to contact "cromell" so I can ask what more information he may have that I don't?

Thank you for reading this msg.

cdnirish

Hello,

I found this, although you may already have the info. I was thinking possibly HMS Hazard's records probably kept with the Royal Navy, may have listed survivors: That may be an avenue for research.

HMS Hazard to the rescue.
The Royal Navy Submarine Depot ship HMS Hazard arrived on the scene to pick up survivors.
Anglia's route, Calais to Dover.
Anglia was returning to Dover from Calais where she had loaded 390 Military personnel, 4 Officers, 1 nurse, 13 wounded Officers, and 372 wounded other ranks, all from the Front Line of the war in France.
Number who died.

There is some conjecture about the number who died that day from this mine laid by the German Submarine UC-5. Some reports indicate 127 lives lost in all, another states 139 Military and 25 crew to add to 164 had been lost, but whatever number may be selected it was a significant figure.
German Submarine UC-5.

It was the German submarine UC-5 that had laid the fatal mine, now she came to grief, stranding on a sand bank, to be captured by the Royal Navy. She was pulled off and towed to the Thames, refitted, and placed on display, and then used as propaganda, helpful in raising money via war bonds. The boat was later taken to the United States to undertake a similar role in that country.

Many Thanks beamish I appreciate the info very much. I did find a lot of information on the web but not about the HMS Hazard rescue.

I'll have to check and see if I can find a list of survivors and/or where they would have been taken for treatment. There may be a chance my Grandfather survived for awhile and there may be some medical files that may fill in the rest of the story for me.

Thank you again...

cdnirish

HMS Hazard was a torpedo gunboat launched in 1894. Later in her service she was used as a submarine tender. She was sunk in 1918 in a collision in the English Channel.

In 1918, as the result of a collision in the Solent, HMS Hazard sank with the loss of four lives.

Back