• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New library.

Astoness; so sorry. I seem to have messed up quote protocol on my reply to you. My only excuse is I am stupid. Sorry

I agree with derekw and Happyguy, I still think its ugly and completely out of place with its surroundings but it would not do for all of us to have same tastes like it as already been said. The council has already bulldozed so many beautiful buildings and replaced them with glass and concrete boxes including the original library, Snow Hill station, the old Market hall to name but a few. Eric

I would assume that once 4 Squares Weekender ends today, that the queues wont be as long. Although might be best to wait a few weeks!
Get there before 10am if possible.

Why should anyone who doesn't like it have to eat their words,if that's what turns you on,then that's fine by me...I still rate it as just plain ugly and out of synch' and doesn't enhance the area one bit,but it wouldn't do for us to be all the same,would it.
I don't think Mike meant his comment the way it seems to have been taken. Can we keep this discussion polite some like it other don't can we not all agree to disagree.

On a personal note (not as Admin) the constant repeating of statements already made (Pro and Con) so many time before I find a tad wearisome. Sorry but that is how I feel.

Bham - I feel the same as you. I hate heights and the thought of looking over the edge of those floors fills me with dread, as does the travelator going through the middle of the floors. I am going to visit the library when things have quietened down, and just hope that I will be able to get up to the Research Floor - is this on Floor 4? No way could I use the glass lift, so I hope the stairs will be an option.

[QUOTE=Jayell. I hate heights and the thought of looking over the edge of those floors fills me with dread,

Hi All,

I have not been to the new library and, sadly, I doubt if I ever will. However has anything been done to deter anyone suicidal jumping over the balconies. I know that I am being alarmist but two or three people have ended their lives by jumping over the balconies in the Bull Ring.

Old Boy

Yesterday during 4 Squares Weekender

Reference Works with pics of the old demolished (Victorian) Central Library!

hi bham thanks for mentioning the workhouse records...thats another thing i need to research at some point

cheers

lyn

Hi All,

My daughter and son-in-law visited the library yestersay afternoon. As already stated the queues were long but, armed with prior knowledge, they went into the Repertory Theatre then down a corridor which led into the library. They thus avoided queuing. This corridor has apparently been built in order to connect both buildings. The corridor is on the ground floor.

Old Boy

I have to agree with my fellow "brummiesas regarding the ugliness of "our" new library
what a monstrosity it really is,when you see the for example it makes you wonder what sort of architects
design these modern day buildings,we even have to look at the lovely Mosques that have been built to realise they are objects of beutiy.I can even admire buildings like the "Gherkin in london And why demolish our old library? surely it could be put to further use? a bed centre for the homeless comes to mind!!!

To be fair on them, last weekend they had the replacement to the Arts Festival on in the four squares from the town hall to the Ikon and put on a few events inside the library so there were more visitors than they should usually get. On the other hand they have a rank of around 10 scanners at the entrance but were only letting in people one at a time through one door. I think they've still got a lot of work to do on something. They've put a lot more of the books out on shelves now but a lot of the time it seems like there's an hour long queue to get into the building.

just to remind you all NOT to go up on speck to seaif that's still the case or ismit more sch certain archives material..appointments must be made...just emailed them to make one for the week after next...

lyn
Wolfson Centre for Archival Research
Advance bookings for access to items from the archive, heritage and photography collections is essential and we are taking bookings now, with appointments available from Monday 9 September. Please e-mail [email protected] to book a session, giving details of when you would like to visit, the items you wish to consult and your preferred contact details.

Is this the only way to book an appointment? Before the move there used to be a telephone number as well.

Also there used to be slots (half hour or an hour or so) Does anyway know if this is still the case or is it more ad hoc?

Thanks.

Jumpers will get their bracers caught in the rings...kind of like a bungie sproing.
Ah the past and what of it. The library or any building will grow into it's space and the landscape will become familiar and 'like it' or 'not so' will become again the old norm which was ever so. As long as it does not leak, as the immediate old one did. Now that would be bad.
By the way, I thought that the architecture of the old (old) Market Hall was horrid. Images of The Bastile come to mind. Now that does not mean that I was not fond of the old place. You become fond of the familiar. This building is too far out 'different' for many of us and in a similar vein I bet many are like me...can't stand the incessant need to be constantly in touch with others, even when walking alone down a street. The 'bliss of solitude' is not a cell phone...maybe the phone is itself a cell. Then again, we had television...'that'll get yer nowhere'. The new Library seems to have an overhang which will afford shelter from the rain for passers-by. A nice feature. The inclusion of a coffee or cocoa shop would be a nice feature also, that possibly would bring in revenue...and offer employment. A good thing.

Nicely put Rupert.

To answer the question about refreshemnts - [h=2]"Eating and Drinking[/h]The Library Café on the ground floor serves a range of quality eat-in and takeaway food made from British ingredients, simply prepared and changing seasonally. Extra seating is available on the mezzanine level, overlooking Centenary Square. The Discovery Café on floor 3 is also open during peak times, with a selection of freshly prepared deli sandwiches and hot and cold beverages".

And unlike Macdonalds - "You are welcome to bring your own refreshments into the Library, but we ask you please only to consume these in the Lounge areas on each floor. Vending machines for cold drinks and snacks are also available in the Lounge areas".

I went this morning, The escalators were working!!!!!! So was the travelator. (Not the Glass Lift though). the ordinary lift going down was locked off to go only to floor 4 and back up. The view from the Secret Garden is wonderful, the wind was strong up there, I don't like heights but I went up and I was OK, I'm a bit proud of myself! The Travelator coming down is a bit daunting, I asked someone if I could follow him as I didn't like looking down it.
In the Archive section I renewed my CARN Card, but didn't use the actual Archive room.
The open access material is in a sort of concertina and only one section can be opened at a time so you have to wait, and then move all the sections along electronically. I don't know how, but one man needed to move many sections to get to his.
The readers have been replaced with ones which have a computer screen. There are toilets on each floor too.
(This post was a lot longer but I got timed out and the Auto save didn't save it all!)
rosie.

Thanks for that information Rosie. Do you need to book a machine to look at parish records? Or do you only need to book to look at Archive material?

Judy

Back