• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New library.

Bordesley Exile, my thoughts entirely. I think it is, plain and simple, UGLY and does not fit in with the likes of Baskerville House, Hall of Memory etc... I have the same opinion of Selfridges, but thats another story. Eric

When Bingley Hall burnt down in 1984, they built the ICC and Symphony Hall (opened in 1991).

Stephen0002002 - My Pevsner book says that the 1940-1 plan was abandoned in 1949 (after the council adopted it in 1944), as it was too expensive! William Bloye made a maquette of a statue in 1948.

>>>More photos of this wonderful building
>>>Birmingham's exciting new Library today, fits in well with all the modern buildings around.

I love sarcasm.

I went past this yesterday when I was up in Birmingham for the ArtsFest.

When I first saw the plans for the library a few years ago I hated it.

Then I thought when it is being built I will start to like it.

But I have been past it many times now and I still hate it.

It is "boxy", ugly, messy, far too big for its position, and just totally spoils Centenary Square.

If they wanted to build it like that (and that big) it should have been built elsewhere, maybe in Eastside as was originally planned.

hi

It will take some getting use to Suggest Prince Charles gives it the once over along side
Mike Whitby its his baby. its a long way from the No 6 carrs lane v Old one

Mike Jenks

agree with guilbert the eastside would have been more appropriate with the university being so close..would love to do a survey of passers by to find out how many out of 10 prefer it lol..maybe i will one day...

lyn

If they wanted to build it like that (and that big) it should have been built elsewhere, maybe in Eastside as was originally planned,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Or Weston :unconscious:

If they wanted to build it like that (and that big) it should have been built elsewhere, maybe in Eastside as was originally planned,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Or Weston :unconscious:

lol dave....i think its a scary looking building...far to imposing for the surroundings..looks like its just jumped out of a sci fi film to me...

>>>More photos of this wonderful building
>>>Birmingham's exciting new Library today, fits in well with all the modern buildings around.

I love sarcasm.

I went past this yesterday when I was up in Birmingham for the ArtsFest.

When I first saw the plans for the library a few years ago I hated it.

Then I thought when it is being built I will start to like it.

But I have been past it many times now and I still hate it.

It is "boxy", ugly, messy, far too big for its position, and just totally spoils Centenary Square.

If they wanted to build it like that (and that big) it should have been built elsewhere, maybe in Eastside as was originally planned.

No sarcasm here mate.
I genuinely love the bulding. I think it's a work of art. Don't get me wrong I also love older buildings but can't live in the past.

Sorry Froth now I see it in situe it just looks like an industrial building, I have tried to like it but can't. I am sure it will be amazing inside but I just don't like the look of it in the area where it's built. Compared to other cities I am not sure what they are trying to do to Birmingham perhaps it's me getting old!!

Nothing to do with your age Wendy, it simply does not fit in at its present location, as you say it resembles a factory buiding, its huge, its 'boxy' and its ugly, it sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb. Those 3 pics in post 184 says it all. Eric

Stands in corner with Frothy. I also like it and think it works very well indeed. However we all have our different tastes, likes and dislike. Let us just recognise this and respect each others opinion.

The main thing is we are discussing it and that alone cannot be bad.

It's not so much the new buildings- though I am not keen on this thing(!) but the destruction of historic buildings to locate them I do not like. If you lived in Tamworth, you'd know what I mean!

What about the buildings that was demolisihed and the feelings of people who had to move to make way for the Council house, Town Hall, Baskerville house Hall of Memory etc etc etc. It's an on going thing.

Last edited:
I presume when the Rotunda was first built there was a difference of opinion and now its a feature of Birmingham.

You can see it as far away as on the Pershore Road in Selly Park!

Can't even see the old library on the skyline

Frothy, nothing personal at all. I agree, perhaps the logic of my argument is we should all be living in wattle a daub huts- or caves! It's just I'm an old fart and remember Brum in the 60's and 70's; the buildings were architectural masterpieces, demolished for what I see as COMPARATIVE monstrosities. I ain't always right, though, and things do have to move on- just wait for me to pass on first, please!

I'm still umming and ahhhing about it. I like the texture but think it's a bit too boxy. Don't have a problem with new buildings as long as they're interesting. After all it's good to have different structures from different eras. They're a reflection of the period. The one thing I really like about the new library is the artist's internal impression. Think that will work really well, but as with the external features, it will certainly need to stand the test of time. Viv.

No sarcasm here mate.
I genuinely love the bulding. I think it's a work of art. Don't get me wrong I also love older buildings but can't live in the past.

Aren't you the same Frothblower who wrote the following in this forum back on April 4th 2009?

>>>I'm a big lover of modern architecture, but that is a load of shhhh, no I won't say it.:shh:
>>>I hope it is a wind up, with the name of the architects being "Mecanoo"

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=23412&p=201856#post201856

Change of opinion?

p.s. Not liking this building is not to do with living in the past. There are plenty of modern buildings in Birmingham and elsewhere that I like (for example I really like the Cube building just down the road).

However this Library building is just plain ugly, and is the wrong building in the wrong place.

Aren't you the same Frothblower who wrote the following in this forum back on April 4th 2009?

>>>I'm a big lover of modern architecture, but that is a load of shhhh, no I won't say it.:shh:
>>>I hope it is a wind up, with the name of the architects being "Mecanoo"

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=23412&p=201856#post201856

Change of opinion?

p.s. Not liking this building is not to do with living in the past. There are plenty of modern buildings in Birmingham and elsewhere that I like (for example I really like the Cube building just down the road).

However this Library building is just plain ugly, and is the wrong building in the wrong place.

Ok mr Guilbert53
Yes I hated the photos of it, but if you'd bothered to look though the other posts I've made you will see I have got to liking the building in the flesh has it's been built.
If you really want to have a knock at me do it by IM and not on the open forum like some other people like to do on here. I said this was getting personal

Can we cool it guys - this would be better left alone or if not then by IM. Digging up out of context quotes is not helpful. We are each allowed to change our opinion (I did recently over the Olympics and Paralympics which to my amazement I thoroughly enjoyed).

Well, I'll say one thing about this new library its certainly causing a lively debate ! Its like Selfridges you either love it or loathe it, it would be a boring world if we all had the same likes and dislikes, I dislike it but equally respect the views of those that do. Eric

Well, I'll say one thing about this new library its certainly causing a lively debate ! Its like Selfridges you either love it or loathe it, it would be a boring world if we all had the same likes and dislikes, I dislike it but equally respect the views of those that do. Eric

Well said Eric.
Not many people like the new library and I'm just fighting my corner for the place:fat:. Don't know why some people get all bitter and twisted over it:moody:

That's true Eric. It's great that this thread has recorded feelings/views etc throughout the period of the building being constructed. And there's real value in recording the range of views, pro or anti. Viv.

The box does not evoked a good feeling for me (and many others) and to me thats a missed opportunity.
Architect's should be making us "all" feel happy and proud of our city buildings.
So they've failed here - just my opinion folks.

Thanks to all. Really enjoying the thread.

A request to Birmingham City Council elicited this reply from Terry Perkins, reproduced with his kind permission-

Paul

Thank you for your interest in the new Library of Birmingham project.
The aluminium frieze is 900 mm (3 feet) from the face of the glass facade
Building Maintenance Units (2 person cradles) will be permanently situated
on the roof and terrace areas. These can be hung off the building with arms
and they are designed to drop down the 900 mm gap.
In effect the maintenance staff can clean both the frieze and the facade in
the same visit. There are permanent water supply points located on the
building to assist this operation
I hope this helps

Regards.....Terry Perkins

Back