• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New library.

Not been yet, but here is one from Bradford Street with the Bullring (taken while I got snaps of the Sky Ride)

"Dozens and Trails" Library of B'ham site. Thought it would be nice to bring this up again. It's been posted before (there are 2 earlier threads) but now that the Library is open, seems appropriate to have a reminder. Some great photos on there. If you've got a few mins to download the free App, have a browse as it's well worth it. It seems to have had a re-vamp too. Otherwise just relax with this photo from the site of the Lib of B'ham hidden garden. Lovely. And they have bird boxes! Aaaaaah.

uqamuqy9.jpg

I'll try and attach the links below for both the Apple store App and the Google link. Here goes

Dozens & Trails from the Library of Birmingham by Substrakt
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dozens-trails-from-library/id590655699?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.substrakt.dozens

I may go this weekend, although I'm not sure yet!
Ell do as we did last weekend go with an open mind and enjoy the views from the top are superb and the photo opportunities abound around pretty well every cornier inside and out. I rejoined Birmingham Library for the first time in almost 60 years on the strength of our visit.

Speaking personally I find the constant repetition of negative comments to be wearing a bit thin. It is built whether we like the design or not and no amount of grinding out the same old negative comments will change that. As I have said elsewhere we went at the weekend and could have stayed much longer than we did had we not had tickets for a show.

There has been many valid criticisms earlier on but many recent comments are hardly debate.

I fail to see whats negative about expressing ones opinion about this structure,the world would be a less interesting place if that right is not respected,its still to me and many others a vile contribution to this once great citys recent architecture.

I'm coming up to Brum in October to visit the library to see for myself! I've booked a reader online for the Sunday - great that they are open Sundays. It was all done very efficiently and quickly.

I fail to see whats negative about expressing ones opinion about this structure,the world would be a less interesting place if that right is not respected,its still to me and many others a vile contribution to this once great citys recent architecture.

Thanks.

Hi all I managed to go today between 4 and 5pm.

Only got as far as the top of the travellator before hearing announcement of it closing at 5pm. Got loads of photos! More than 200 including some of The REP.

I take it that you have to use that lift in the tube to get up to the Shakespeare Memorial Room.

That would be Level 4. Assume the public can't access levels 5 and 6.

But did find time to pop to the Lower Ground Floor before leaving.

Will go again (hopefully in the morning, not late afternoon).

Ell The Shakespeare memorial Library is on the top floor (7th ?). Have not managed to get up that far yet.

A sign says Secret Garden on Level 7. Shakespeare Memorial Room on Level 9 (i.e. the 10th floor, assuming that LG is floor 1).

Ell it is USA that counts ground as floor one not us;) I want to get to Floor 10.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

That's a great extract from the collection of Benjamin Stone's work Brumgum.

Ell, your interior photos look excellent. I think maybe the investment will be worthwhile, especially as it houses an enviable volume of records, docs etc.

Has anyone else been struck by the significance of the Shakespeare Room and the fact that it holds that collection that has been moved on several occasions from the earlier libraries? Or am I being a tad sentimental? Viv.

It went Level LG, G, 1, 2, 3, 4, then I assume 7, 8, 9.

Thanks Viv. All the books that were hidden in the old library seem to be accessible in the new one! The kind of storage space that you wouldn't normally have access to!DSCF3758.jpg

Wish there was an entrance from the back on Cambridge Street, as only entrances are from Centenary Square (including side entrance in The REP).

Back