• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

new john street

thanks for that info griff ...will see if i have any photos of those pubs and get back to you if i do...there maybe other members who can help as well..

just as an aside i noticed in that list of pubs are 2 of my rellies running pubs (which i knew about)...doyle and checketts

lyn

Great, I am pleased to have helped you with relatives. That is a good site for pub info.
Look forward to hearing if there any photos of Hope and Anchor or The Castle Tavern

griff my ancestors were great publicans as well and i have photos of most them that they ran even though they are long since gone...so we now have the address of the hope and anchor which will help..was 94 upper trinity st where the castle tavern was?? when i have time tonight i will search through the many pub photos i have for you...fingers crossed:)

lyn

thats great griff so we are looking a photo of the hope and anchor 82 vauxhall road and the castle tavern 94 upper trinity st....i can say that the castle tavern is no longer there as i have just done a google street walk...only a guess but i will be surprised if the hope and anchor is still there..but as i said fingers crossed as there are lots of old photos out there..

lyn

Should first point out for clarity that the year of the directories is the year of publication, and the date of the survey from which the information is based is usually taken as the year before the publication year.
That said from other directories:
1903. No Joseph Griffin listed.
1904. Joseph Griffin, Eagle & Ball PH. 12 Penn St
1908, 1910 Joseph Griffin beerseller. 41 Trevor St, Nechells
1921, No Joseph Griffin listed.

The term beerseller means that it was either a beerhouse, which had a licence only to sell beer and cider on the premises (and was probably a small pub), or an off- licence , which could only sell alcohol for consumption off the premises. The Eagle & Ball, by comparison was a full scale pub,. so a bit of a come-down from the Eagle & Ball to a beerhouse.
A photo of the Eagle & Ball, which more recently was known as Moby Dicks (Ugh) is below

There is also a John C. Griffin , beerseller at various addresses in Balsall Heath at this time. Could he be related?

Penn Street Eagle & Ball.jpg

Thanks Mikejee. I'll see what else I can find on the Eagle & Ball and 41 Trevor Street. I agree unlikely a Publican would take that step down.

Thanks for the info and photo.

Attachments

• birmingham_b2_hopeanchor.jpg
    birmingham_b2_hopeanchor.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 25
This photo notes Navigation Street so I wonder if there was a street name change or its a different pub

This photo notes Navigation Street so I wonder if there was a street name change or its a different pub
Which photo are you referring to?. Certainly, from maps, Navigation Street has been called that from 1778, and did not appear to exist in 17.50

The post from Chooky on Mar 9th 2019 (above) includes a photo. The link to Lost Pubs states the Photo is the Hope & Anchor on Navigation Street.

The photo in post 28 originally came from Joseph McCanna's "Central Birmingham Pubs" where it is attributed to Navigation St. I see no reason to doubt that. There were a number of Hope & Anchors, It was a popular name In the 1890 Kellys there are listed 7 pubs of that name, and that does not include any beerhouses (which did not hold a licence allowiing them to sell wines or spirits on the premises)

Back