• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

new john street

T

tonksbeeston

are there any maps info on new john street my family lived at 100 new john street thanks

Below is a map c 1912 showing no 100 New john St in red. I take it you do definitely mean New John St, not New john St West , which runs off to the left of New John St
Mike

new_john_st_no_100_c1889.jpg

My gt grandparents lived at a couple of addresses in New John Street - No 2 Court in 1901 and Back of 164 in 1902. Does anyone have a map that shows where these were? I see from the map in the previous thread that no street numbers appear to be marked. I presume that cross-referencing with a directory can help identify the house numbers.

Below is a map c 1913 showing court 2 in blue and what is presumably back 164 in red. No 164 is the house immediately on New John St, so presumably the red house is back 164. The alleyway which goes up beside them is not named either on large scale 1889 map or later smaller scale maps, or in directories around that time

map_c_1913_New_John_St_showing_court_2_and_back_164.jpg

Thanks mike jee for the map. Very useful. My gt gt grandfather was a brass worker and I suspect that he probably worked close by as there are a number of brass foundries in the immediate area.

My maternal grandparents lived at No.46 New John Street, about 4 houses up from the side of Elkington Street School,
it was previously a small pub The Hope & Anchor, I would love to see a photo of when it was a pub.

My maternal grandparents lived at No.46 New John Street, about 4 houses up from the side of Elkington Street School,
it was previously a small pub The Hope & Anchor, I would love to see a photo of when it was a pub.

hello sylv....im pretty sure i dont have a photo of the hope and anchor..maybe someone else has one but i will certainly do a search for you...

mike i wonder if you could edit you last map and highlight where the hope and anchor was please..

thanks mike..

lyn

The photo would be quite early as the pub disappeared between the 1899 & 1900 Kellys .

map_c_1913_New_John_St_showing_court_22C_no_46_and_back_164.jpg

thanks for the map mike..could be difficult to find a photo then but you never know..will keep my eyes open for one..

lyn

Thanks Mike for highlighting my grandparents house, I do remember it as I was about 10 or 11 when they died. It must have been a very small pub, only one room downstairs but it had a large bay window complete with window seat which I liked to sit on. My grandma did most of her cooking in the range in the fireplace but also had a gas cooker in the very small scullery. Lyn thanks for offering to look out for a photo - a long shot I fear.

hi sylv...as many of you know by now my motto has always been never give up looking they could be out there somewhere..we can edge our bets with this one by looking for a pic of when it actually the hope and anchorandr keeping our eyes open for more photos of new john st which could show it as your grandparents house..

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn for your encouragement, it isn't impossible, I have one of the Rose & Crown, Lichfield Street, (later Corporation Street) I think, which my g.g. grandfather ran in 1845, don't know the date of the photo though, which John Houghton found for me, and posted on the forum.

Thanks Lyn for your encouragement, it isn't impossible, I have one of the Rose & Crown, Lichfield Street, (later Corporation Street) I think, which my g.g. grandfather ran in 1845, don't know the date of the photo though, which John Houghton found for me, and posted on the forum.

thats the ticket sylv never say never...i have added new john st to my list of photos to look for next time i visit the libary archives...i have a feeling there maybe more new john pics to be had yet....did not know your gg grandad ran the rose and crown lichfield st..im sure i have a pic of that but it could well be the one john found for you...will check my files for you..

lyn

I just Came across this post. My grandfather kept pubs in Aston in the early 1900s. In 1911 he was managing the Hope & Anchor and in 1915 he was managing the Castle Tavern. The photo below is from one of the pubs he kept. Not sure which one. It may be the Hope & Anchor but I have no way of telling.

index.php

Have enlarged and sharpened a little in the hope of seeing something, but cannot see anything that might be helpful, though it was a six pump bar, which would have thought meant it was a substantial pub, though that is just s speculation and may not mean anything

hope & anchor or castle tavernA.jpg

Do the labels on the bottles indicate anything? Such as Ansells labels ? Could it be the Ansells sloping signature and squirrel ? Not sure. Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, I understand the Hope & Anchor was a small neighborhood pub but I do not know anything about the Castle Tavern other than I found my grandfather registered as the manager. Do you have any info on the Castle Tavern? Was it in Aston or one of the surrounding areas?

Thanks again for your input

do you have an actually address for either of these pubs..(ie from the census papers) as we may be able to supply a photograph of them but as there may have been more than one pub with these names without street or road names maybe only guess work

lyn

Last edited:
Note Dis 4 82 Vauxhall Road Hope & Anchor Griffin
My Great Grandfather was Joseph Griffin and lived at this address in the 1911 census
upload_2018-5-28_4-0-45.png

Back