• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New John Street West & New John Street

with great difficulty topsy...got moved down to the ground floor as there were no houses available for me and then had to suffer rats gnawing though into the flat from the bin rooms on the side of the flat..then the renovations started..outside lifts going up and down all day long..dust and all sorts coming through the windows resulting in my youngest becoming asmatic...wont go into detail but a long battle to be re housed followed...so no i have no time at all for blocks of high rise flats..i spent over 6 years in one and would rather have lived in the houses they pulled down to build them...sorry for the moan topsy but it brings it all back to me...very difficult times...
i lived in one too lyn,for 5 years people above banging. rats in the bin room. terrible places.

Image604-1.jpg

Not sure if this has been on before. 1960s
hi topsy.. just come on here .saw this post from 2012 but no picture.. my family come from belfast and i also was born there ..we come here in 48 and lived at 4back of nine New John St West.. so would love to see that picture if still available.. we left the in 53 .stay safe and stay alert my friend.

Did you notice the policeman or is it a security guard in the picture fo The Red House?
I was wondering if it was used as a secure car park by Joseph Lucas,as they were the lagest employer in the area.
Hi
hi tom...photos and angles can be very deceiving...that definately is the rear of newtown palace pic house taken on the corner with new john st and newtown row as already said by moss on post 99..elkington st is in the foreground running accross..quite right about the line of 5 block of flats being after the summer lane junction but like i say photos can be deceiving and distances can look either further or closer..

all the best

lyn
Hi lyn i know its a very long ago post..but i lived 4/9new john st West.. the picture house was on the corner of new town row and went down the side of.new john st west.. that was opposite were i lived.. would be so greatful if you could post the picture again
. Or anyone else who saw this post....stay safe and stay alert.. from bushbaby..

Cheers Lyn.

I spent my very happy childhood at 2/457 New John St West- in real poverty but happy. I suppose because nobody had anything anyway so no [pressure from peers.

Elkington St.. I am sure that connected with Blews St Park
I lived at 4/9 new john st West.. from 1948 till 1953..if you have any pictures i would be grateful to see... and yes elkington st crossed over to blew st and park...from bushbaby..

hi bushbaby there are a few photos of njsw on this thread..what end of the street was your house

lyn

Hi lyn..its been a good while since i have really been on here...
Yes i lived in NJSW and to try and explain ..well here goes...if you were standing on the corner og where the picture house was ..where part of it is on new town row and the side of it is on NJSW..well walk about a 50 yards down the side and look over the rd to the othrrside.. there used to be a sweet shop the lady was Mrs Wheeler.. and just past her shop going towards Elkington st there was a masive big opening where they used to bring mrs longs horse's to put in her stables.. then carry on down this big opening there was another opening to the left and thats where there was lots of chickens a d a rooster(that rooster bit me on my chin..and i still have that scar) then a big load of wooden steps to the man who worked there it was his own place and we called him the tin man..he was very kind to us..then step down these two very long steps there was FOUR HOUSES 1-4 IT WAS WHERE we lived in number 4.. we had a massive garden as we were the end house.. our house was at the back of miller st bus depot...and at the side of our house was a great big place where there was horse and carts.. .. i think bread carts and we used to get over the wall and play in them..I read that someone asked about that big open land and said they thought it might belong to Lucas...but no it never.. anyway back to the houses... .. back to the top of the opening on the front was also 4 houses but they could go into their house from the front and the back as they also had big gardens ..i remember one of them who lived there was a.german family... .. and then the street turned inti Elkinton st.... does that make you any the wiser..stay safe and stay alert my friend

hello bushbaby .well from what you are saying it sounds as though you are describing new john st rather than new john st west especially as elkington st was off new john st not new john st west but having said that you must know where you lived lol...i will ask mike for a map showing exactly where 4 back of 9 njsw was...

lyn

Last edited:
There does not seem to be a 4 back new john st west on the c1950 map below. No 9 is shown in blue . There is a 4 back 9 New John St, shown in red.
map c1950 showing 9 back new john st west and 4 back 9 new john st.jpg

thanks for the map mike i thought bushbaby must have meant new john st not new john st west...easy to get the two mixed up

lyn

My grandpa, Harry Birch (same name as his pa, how very helpful.....) and my aunt Gladys were living at 7/60 New John Street West in 1939

Hi there. I am doing a family history and recently received my maternal grandfathers birth certificate it shows him being born at Ivy Court, 9 New John Street West in 1896. Has anyone of you lovely people got any info or photos of this area. Would much appreciate any help. Thank you.

Hi all
I looking for any info about a group of caravans which was on a plot of land in new john street in the year 1939
Kind regards

Hi there. I am doing a family history and recently received my maternal grandfathers birth certificate it shows him being born at Ivy Court, 9 New John Street West in 1896. Has anyone of you lovely people got any info or photos of this area. Would much appreciate any help. Thank you.
Hi Eileen
I too have been searching for information and photos of caravan dwellers in New John Street. My grandparents are listed in the 1921 census as living in a caravan there.
unfortunately, as yet, I have not found anything.
if I do, I will let you know

Hi Eileen, welcome to the forum. Can you tell us your GFs surname & christian name(s), might be able to find something.

Hi Eileen
I too have been searching for information and photos of caravan dwellers in New John Street. My grandparents are listed in the 1921 census as living in a caravan there.
unfortunately, as yet, I have not found anything.
if I do, I will let you know
Hi Ireid, can you tell us your grandparents names to locate which part of New John Street the census refers to.

Only listed as New John Street not new john street west, so I'm thinking of was the end up to Newtown Row. My great grandparents had a shop in New Town Row at that time

Far from certain but looking at the map from about that time, there doesn't appear to be many places where caravans could be.

The largest area where there doesn't appear to be any buildings is on the corner of New John St and Blews St.

Far from certain but looking at the map from about that time, there doesn't appear to be many places where caravans could be.

The largest area where there doesn't appear to be any buildings is on the corner of New John St and Blews St.
I agree Mark, if we had free access to the 1921 census we could probably work it out. I have gone all through the 1911 census for New John Street and have found nothing, would probably cost £££ to do that on the 1921 census.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Only listed as New John Street not new john street west, so I'm thinking of was the end up to Newtown Row. My great grandparents had a shop in New Town Row at that time
from memory i think you are correct...new john st is a continuation of new john st west and as you say it was near the newtown row end...i am sure i have seen a photo of caravans on a site around there and its on the forum....i could be totally wrong but later on i will see if i can locate it

lyn

Thank you both for your interest in this puzzle. I can find nothing of my grandfather in the 1911 census either. His parents came from Norfolk, my grandfather was born in Birmingham in 1896, however in 1901 I think they were all back in Norfolk. He married in Birmingham in 1918. At this time his parents had a shop in Newtown Row where my grandfather lived

from memory i think you are correct...new john st is a continuation of new john st west and as you say it was near the newtown row end...i am sure i have seen a photo of caravans on a site around there and its on the forum....i could be totally wrong but later on i will see if i can locate it

lyn
Thank you for your input. I have searched for pictures of the caravans, to date no results

Thank you both for your interest in this puzzle. I can find nothing of my grandfather in the 1911 census either. His parents came from Norfolk, my grandfather was born in Birmingham in 1896, however in 1901 I think they were all back in Norfolk. He married in Birmingham in 1918. At this time his parents had a shop in Newtown Row where my grandfather lived
Was your grandfather John Edwin Bates married to Rose Maud Greaves?

I see that John Henry's brothers Alfred (1907) and Charles (1911) were both born in Bham so if they weren't in Bham for the 1911 census they don't appear to have been away for long.

Back