• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New John Street West & New John Street

I see that John Henry's brothers Alfred (1907) and Charles (1911) were both born in Bham so if they weren't in Bham for the 1911 census they don't appear to have been away for long.
I agree, the family appear to have settled in Birmingham with periods of trancience for whatever the reason. I'm guessing to earn a living. I have so many unanswered questions regarding my grandfather. Like many of us I never asked the questions....

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thank you both for your interest in this puzzle. I can find nothing of my grandfather in the 1911 census either. His parents came from Norfolk, my grandfather was born in Birmingham in 1896, however in 1901 I think they were all back in Norfolk. He married in Birmingham in 1918. At this time his parents had a shop in Newtown Row where my grandfather lived
Do you have a copy of the 1921 census, it shows John Henry born 1896 in Loftus Yorkshire, would probably be useful to get it (assuming I haven't got the wrong person of course).

Attachments

• john-henry-bates-1921census.jpg
    john-henry-bates-1921census.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 9
I think you have the right person, though his birthplace appears to be another error. Address seems to listed as New Jokes Street as well.

Do you have a copy of the 1921 census, it shows John Henry born 1896 in Loftus Yorkshire, would probably be useful to get it (assuming I haven't got the wrong person of course).
I have the family tree going back to the 1800s, the family were in Norfolk until the turn of the century. Grandad definitely born in Birmingham, his sister was born in Carmarthenshire, which leads me to think they were nomadic until settling in Birmingham
Thanks for taking an interest

I lived virtually next door to The Bell pub at number 290. Has anyone any photos of the houses or pub at all?

Last edited:
Hi StvGeorges Comprehensive School was built in 1969 as I finished in the junior school next door we were the first year to go through the years until I finished school in 1973 my first teacher was miss Brett in my first year other teachers I remember was Mr Johnston history teacher Mr Hopkins woodwork Miss Oram English teacher Mrs Capp Geography the Head master was Mr Rhisdale and the Deputy head was Mr Holloway good memories of this school in the seventies.

Andrew Meah

smashing stars..njsw holds ties for me too as my gt grandparents were at back o 46 in 1903...
Hi
I lived at number 4 back of 357 New John St West Hockley Birmingham 19 in the 60s I remember at the end of the street adjoining Wheeler Street there was a Baines cake shop on the corner.My mom had a cafe along this street I watched them build all the high rise flats along there that become Newtown

Andrew Meah

Hi
I lived at number 4 back of 357 New John St West Hockley Birmingham 19 in the 60s I remember at the end of the street adjoining Wheeler Street there was a Baines cake shop on the corner.My mom had a cafe along this street I watched them build all the high rise flats along there that become Newtown

Andrew Meah
Have you seen this?

Attachments

• 349-NJSW.jpg
    349-NJSW.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 46
Hi
I don't know who put this photo on the site but that was my mum's Cafe brought back so many child hood memories looks like my memory was quite good for a 65 year old anyway thanks you to whoever put this photo of my moms cafe on so chuffed thank you

please can anyone say when st georges comprehensive school was built on great hampton street we use to catch a 46 bus home to Handswrth in those days the late 70,s early 80,s did anyone attend that school and can anyone remember any of the teachers

dated 1965..showing 2 children out playing....look down the entry onto njsw...can see 3 of the 5 tower blocks along njsw
Hi
I believe I lived in the house on the right hand side which was 4 back of 356 njsw I remember the 4 windows to the right of the house was a factory that produces army badges

Andy M

Hi
I believe I lived in the house on the right hand side which was 4 back of 356 njsw I remember the 4 windows to the right of the house was a factory that produces army badges

Andy M
You have a good memory Andy and how lucky you are to have that image. The image ties in perfectly with the aerial view and the map.

Attachments

• 4bk356-new-john-st-west-aerial.jpg
    4bk356-new-john-st-west-aerial.jpg
    816.4 KB · Views: 37
  • New John Street West Newtown - 15-11-1965.jpg
    New John Street West Newtown - 15-11-1965.jpg
    934.1 KB · Views: 37
  • NJSW4bk356-map.jpg
    NJSW4bk356-map.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 39
You have a good memory Andy and how lucky you are to have that image. The image ties in perfectly with the aerial view and the map.
Hi
Thanks very much for the map ties it all in shame there is no one left in the family to share with but thank you very much for your help

Regards
Andrew Meah

Hi
Thanks very much for the map ties it all in shame there is no one left in the family to share with but thank you very much for your help

Regards
Andrew Meah
Thanks
Hi

Regards
Andrew Meah
Thanks very much Brummy-lad for the info

Regards
Andrew Meah

If memory serves me right (in my mid 60's now) but remember being told that we lived at 242 New John Street West when I was in my early years. Was there such a street and if possible any photos to be found of said street/area???

If memory serves me right (in my mid 60's now) but remember being told that we lived at 242 New John Street West when I was in my early years. Was there such a street and if possible any photos to be found of said street/area???
this is the new john street thread which also contains photos...it is always best to start reading from post 1 so that you do not miss anything

There appears to be an Edward and Susan Ward living at 242 in 1962 & 65, and a Harold and Miriam Richards in 55 & 60.

May I ask if you found that little nugget of information regarding names of who lived there from the Census and is it easy to find out such things??? How do i access this information?

Those names would be from the electoral roll. Some years are on Ancestry and Find My Past. All years are in Birmingham Library.
Census, as I am sure you know, only every 10 years - last publication 1921.
Censuses on the two sites mentioned earlier but subscription needed to view.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Those names would be from the electoral roll. Some years are on Ancestry and Find My Past. All years are in Birmingham Library.
Census, as I am sure you know, only every 10 years - last publication 1921.
Censuses on the two sites mentioned earlier but subscription needed to view.
Thank you very informative, sure you ment 2021 though not 1921 ha ha. I'm getting to an age I remember more about my long distance past than i do about things i did last week. I enjoy history and finding out about where I was brought up, the area, schools, history, seeing before/after photos etc. Thank you for answering my queries, I'll keep Looking into my past, might even research my family roots but think that might be hard due to fact a lot of relatives have passed, no information passed down and being descended from Southern Irish sometimes hard to investigate/research relatives beyond grand-parents on both sides for obvious reasons... again thank you for your time.

Have you seen this?
I some times look at these photos and think "Is that my Mom or is that us (2 sisters & me) as kids... no photos at all of my childhood, destroyed/list over tje years for whatever reason or couldn't afford the expense of a camera and development, shame really. Lovely to see photos of places i remember from my childhood.

Back