• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Inns Berners St Lozells

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
nice pic of this pub...mike i think i may have asked you before on another thread but if not could we have a map showing where this pub was please....the question is was this convoy just for a delivery?? maybe it was getting ready to open for the first time and they were stocking up....

lyn

berners st the new inns.jpg

I think this might be the location, Lyn. The space to the left of the building matches the map.

index.php

thanks BB must be losing it lol...ive just realised that i have that map from mike from way back marking out no 179 which is where i had rellies in 1901:rolleyes: house still there but alas pub and houses opposite gone now but i bet my rellies used the new inns pub...out of one door into another:D

lyn

I had a job in the summer of 1976 which involved doing an awful lot of walking in the Lozells area and was amazed how many of the 'old' pubs (and shops) were still open. Even then the area had some charm, I remember how nice St Silas church in St Silas Square looked when I came across it unexpectedly.

thanks alan i thought we had talked about this one before...my excuse is lack of memory due to old age lol....i think my gt nan was still living opposite the pub when the photo was taken so may well have standing on the other side of the road watching the may day activities that passed her door...would be nice to think she was there

lyn

Last edited:
I found this photo on Ebay as my family (Cox and Lowe) have history to Berners Street. Does anyone have any information on the New Inn Shooting Club. The date is unknown. Thanks

Josie
There was a sort of gossip/comment column called "Bulls Eyes" in the Sports Argus in the early 1900s concerned with shooting. there are two mentions of a New Inns club, though I cannot be sure it is the same New Inns. If it is then they were not very good around 1903
Sports Argus  31 10.1903.jpgSports argus. 12.9.1903.jpg

what a cracking photo josie...nice find...most likely taken at the back of the new inns...i have posted on the photo restoration thread hopefully someone can get rid of the line running down the middle

lyn

Josie
There was a sort of gossip/comment column called "Bulls Eyes" in the Sports Argus in the early 1900s concerned with shooting. there are two mentions of a New Inns club, though I cannot be sure it is the same New Inns. If it is then they were not very good around 1903
View attachment 150348View attachment 150349
I did wonder if having a Gun Club attached to a pub was a good idea, especially after a few pints! Thanks for checking. I do have access to the Newspaper articles on FMP so I will check it out, though I oftern get side tracked reading the news of the day: fascinating! Joanne

what a cracking photo josie...nice find...most likely taken at the back of the new inns...i have posted on the photo restoration thread hopefully someone can get rid of the line running down the middle

lyn
Thanks Astoness. I agree it is a wonderful photograph with its vast array of hats! I was hoping the photo would have names etc written on the reverse but sadly no. I have traced my family to Berners Street around this time and in fact lived her upto the 1940/50s and was hoping the photo might provide a face! Joanne

Have checked the directories available to me and could find no C. Tasker listed. The newspaper archives similarly showed no mention that seemed relevant

Have checked the directories available to me and could find no C. Tasker listed. The newspaper archives similarly showed no mention that seemed relevant
Yes Agreed Mike, I have searched and reached a dead end regarding the name Tasker and The Shooting Club too.

Back