• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Inn Harborne

pcels

Brummie babby
My first post and just joined the forum! I have recently taken on running of the New Inn, Vivian Road Harborne. Having previously become severely addicted to my own family history research I am keen to find out some of the history of my pub. Currently I don't have much spare time so I hoped that I may be able to get some help from the good folk of this forum. If there are any Harborne experts on the forum that are able to share information that would be fantastic, particularly as I am new to the area (from Kent originally).

I have just started searching in Ancestry and have found a New Inn in Harborne in the 1881 census, although it refers to "Lodge Road" rather than Vivian Road - could anybody share details of sources for old maps/street directories of Birmingham? I'm unsure whether Vivian Rd is a post 1881 name change or if a different New Inn.

Any existing information that anyone is able to share would be greatly appreciated, or suggestions on sources for pub records etc also greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and I look forward to learning from the gems of information on this forum

Here is a map c1890 showing the position of the New Inn (marked as Inn) with road named Lodge Road

map showing new inn c1890.jpg

Hi pcels

A photo of the New Inns back in 1960, complete with a little information on the history of the pub for you.

Harborne Vivian Rd The New Inns (2).jpg

and to add to mikes map i have these photos of the new inn vivian road if they are of any use to you....welcome to the forum and good luck with your new venture..

lyn

Harborne New Inn Vivian Rd.JPGHarborne Vivian Rd The New Inn.jpgHarborne Vivian Rd The New Inns (2).jpgHarborne Vivian Rd The New Inns (3).jpg

Wow! Thank you so much for the rapid responses!! My previous experiences of the local/family history community has always been positive and so grateful to see that continue. Lyn, Mike and Phil, thank you so much
Paul

Hi Lyn,
The space is there as a beer garden, but my understanding is that the bowling green ceased to be a green in about 2013. I've seen some info on Facebook regarding this closure and the unsuccessful campaign to retain it. I am very pleased to say that as a pub we have no fruit machines, no TVs and are still a place where people come for a chat. Had a lovely conversation yesterday with a gent who told me he had his first pint here 68 years ago (on the day he left school aged 14!)
Paul

that is brilliant...we have been losing our pubs so fast over recent years and sadly with a lot that remain the art of conversation as well...back in the day darts and dominos and putting the world to rights was the order of the day..how refreshing to know that your pub still retains this...i am the other side of town but when i can get a lift over there by my son i shall put my head round the door :)

cheers

lyn

Here's a snip from the 1939 eve of WW2 register showing the licensee and his family, and the 1911 census too.

Attachments

• new inns vivian road harborne 1939.JPG
    new inns vivian road harborne 1939.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 19
  • new inn 1911 census.JPG
    new inn 1911 census.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
that is brilliant...we have been losing our pubs so fast over recent years and sadly with a lot that remain the art of conversation as well...back in the day darts and dominos and putting the world to rights was the order of the day..how refreshing to know that your pub still retains this...i am the other side of town but when i can get a lift over there by my son i shall put my head round the door :)

cheers

lyn
Lyn, you would be so welcome if you have a chance to visit. I agree entirely about the loss of traditional pubs and we cherish the New Inn for this reason. We are planning to introduce a "retro" games night on a weekly basis, with shove ha'penny, dominos, table skittles etc as an alternative to the TV dominated pubs that abound!

Here's a snip from the 1939 eve of WW2 register showing the licensee and his family, and the 1911 census too.
Thank you so much for sharing this! My research time has been very limited with taking on a new business but have managed to find the 1881 census. So grateful for the sharing of this information!

Attachments

• Waldron 1881 Census.jpg
    Waldron 1881 Census.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 6
Have been using National Newspaper Archive to research pub I am currently running (New Inn, Harborne) and have found advert for lease of the pub in Birmingham Gazette 1848. Listing asset of the pub it refers to large dining room where the previous year "no less than eighteen Gigsy Parties engaged the room from Birmingham". Can anyone enlighten me on what a Gigsy Party was? Have done some searching and found reference to a "gigsy" being a sexually promiscuous woman, but mind boggles at what a Gigsy Party was!

The original article was in Aris Birm Gazette 14.2.1848 (below). There is a Utube version labelled as one, but somehow I dont think the original was the same as the 1848 ones

Aris. Birm Gazette.14.2.1848. new inn harborne.jpg

A interesting article. The link for the Ipswich company Ransomes shows what a large amount of machinery they made. The day seems to be more like a fair by recent standards but I wonder if, given people from Birmingham hired rooms there, they were there to work on the harvest - the article mentions August and harvest.
Alternatively it may have been an early form of 'trade fair' and social activity combined. After all someone had to produce some of the parts needed to make the steam engines and other agricultural machinery. Maybe Ransomes made most but not all parts needed? I liked the ghost signs.

Back