• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Inn Coventry Road Sheldon

AnnS

master brummie
I am looking for information and hopefully a photograph of the New Inn PH
at 1538 Coventry Road.

Just to add, not the current establishment.

thank you...

Many thanks for the photograph, it looks like quite a sizeable plot.

I thought it might be a bowling green at the back but it looks a lot bigger than that.

Certainly has the immaculate look of a bowling green, but has a corner missing around the tree on the left. Never went in the New Inns always gravitated towards the Swan.

Certainly has the immaculate look of a bowling green, but has a corner missing around the tree on the left. Never went in the New Inns always gravitated towards the Swan.
The bowling green seems to have been an important feature of Birmingham pubs outside the city centre. I can remember the Custard House and a pub on Foxhollies Rd where my uncle played bowls. I think the Good Companions, Yew Tree and Broadway also had greens. My mother in law, who came to Birmingham as a military driver in the war, was so impressed by such large public house developments.

Some more pics of that Pub.......now and then.......

Attachments

• New Inn aerial now.jpg
    New Inn aerial now.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • New Inn and bus.jpg
    New Inn and bus.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 33
  • New Inn map 1889.jpg
    New Inn map 1889.jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 32
  • New Inn opp Tivoli.jpg
    New Inn opp Tivoli.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 34
  • New Inn temp.jpg
    New Inn temp.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 34
I may have a family connection to the New Inn but have no census records

to support this, offers anyone?

I may have a family connection to the New Inn but have no census records

to support this, offers anyone?
hi ann ancestry is a good place to start for looking up the census years...you will have to subscribe to this

lyn

In 2/5 there appears to be a betting shop, so post 1961. When were trolley buses withdrawn?
I don't know when they were withdrawn but I can only recall them running as far as Hay Mills. Did they run past the New Inn ? Did they run as far as Sheldon?

Thank you Susan D for your kind offer.

Names of interest would be Cooper and Wilkins, perhaps the 1939 census would be best.

thank you
Ann.

1939 Register - 1538 Coventry Road:

Harry Wilkins b. 21.11.1873 Wire roller - married
Rosamond Wilkins 17.11.1881 Domestic duties married
Norman V Wilkins 11.7.1919 Wire drawer single

Same address - separate household

Dorothy Cooper 17.12.1906 Capstan lathe hand, married
1 other household member blocked out (as could be living).

No sign of the address being a pub. Maybe there has been some renumbering since 1939.

This information was gleaned from the Find My Past web site. Being government owned, some reference libraries and archive centres may provide access free of charge. It might be worth your checking.

A Robert Erwin of Australia has your family's tree on Ancestry. I could contact him and ask him to respond to you on this forum should you so wish.

Susan

Last edited:
Hello Susan, Very many thanks for the information, i'd call that a 'bulls eye'.

The men of the family probably worked down the road at Latch and Bachelor,

i do wonder where the PH came into things, but as you so rightly say it could have

been re-numbered. Intriguing one that.

It would be most kind of you to contact Robert Erwin on my behalf, he may be able

to shed more light on things. Once again many thanks.

AnnS

I think it was a stroke of luck Ann. It is often not always that easy to track people down. Are you directly related to these people? Son Norman had several siblings.

There are some photos on Mr Erwin's web site of Harry's ancestors. There is not guarantee that he will respond but we can but try.

Susan

Sometimes, if they are able to help, kind people on this forum are able to track house numbers on contemporary OS maps. You are looking for 1538 Coventry Road, Yardley round about 1939 and is it a pub or a house? Does anyone has some information on this please?

Brilliant find Mike, many thanks.

Ann, I have also contacted someone called John Hopkins via Ancestry who also appears to be related to you.

Susan

Thank you Mikejee for the map, very close to the Tivoli cinema by the looks of it.

That makes more sense than the New Inn PH.

Appreciate your efforts Susan, my connection would be with the Wilkins side of the family.

AnnS..

Back