• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New House of Lords in Birmingham?

Radiorails

master brummie
As I never lived in the city, just south of it, and have only made two brief visits there since 1954, my geography and knowledge of the place is limited to what I read here on BHF.

So I put it to those who still live in the city or close by to offer suggestions where the proposed new House of Lords could be built if Birmingham beat York in the choice.

I guess there might be a possibility that one of the new high rise buildings could be utilised.

My suggestion is only for residents as only they would be affected by it and pick up the financial tab if there was one. There may be benefits - touristic and financial of course. I know one or two posters can be upset by critical posts about the present day city made by those living some distance away and who are not affected by the changes. Guilty m'Lud, in the past. ;)

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the suggestion was mainly considering it to be further north. ie York. From the look of reports, the idea is likely to suffer a death by a thousand cuts , as our lordal masters are not keen on moving away from their "gentleman's" clubs in London, and , even though they are not paying for it, they are likely to get what they want

pjmburns

master brummie
As the state opening of parliament takes place in the House of Lords does that mean the Queen would have to travel to wherever? I can't see it happening. It might move from London but I reckon it would still be down south or near a royal residence.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
As the state opening of parliament takes place in the House of Lords does that mean the Queen would have to travel to wherever? I can't see it happening. It might move from London but I reckon it would still be down south or near a royal residence.
i agree jan to move to brum does not seem practical to me

lyn

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
I think the suggestion was mainly considering it to be further north. ie York. From the look of reports, the idea is likely to suffer a death by a thousand cuts , as our lordal masters are not keen on moving away from their "gentleman's" clubs in London, and , even though they are not paying for it, they are likely to get what they want
:joy::joy::joy:

Spargone

master brummie
They could put the House of Lords in Cardiff and the House of Commons in Edinburgh. Both cities have suitable buildings ready-made!
We would end up with a more united country and fewer politicians might want to take up the ermine!

Radiorails

master brummie
Given the choice of Birmingham or York, I believe York would be more fitting for the location of a new House of Lords. It still has lots of very ancient buildings and walls which pre-date Birmingham by hundreds of years. I guess they would fit in there well. There are developments planned in both cities as they have both lost principal manufacturing companies (chocolate and rail). York Minster's foundation pre dates that of Westminster Abbey by nearly three centuries.
Costs are going to be incurred anyway. The Commons and Peers Chamber have to be re-located for remedial work to the Palace of Westminster to be done - this is already approved. New homes have to be found for both places whilst this takes place. If you believe HS2 is expensive then watch this space! ;)

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great shame that there wasn't more civic foresight (no surprise there!) but Their Lordships would otherwise have had a ready made home, right in the centre of the city. King Edward's School building (1838-1936) in New Street. They would have really felt at home too because the building was created by Barry and Pugin, responsible also for the Houses of Parliament.

Chris

(Acknowledgement of image sources: K.E. Archive, Graham Knight, staffshomeguard website)

K E 1red.jpgNew-Streetimg007bwcropWEB70.jpg

BOBJ

knowlegable brummie
I send them to York, but only because it is colder up there! :)

Maurice :cool:
Would be a bit inconvenient for them to pop into House of Lords in Birmingham/York for 5 minutes every day to get the daily £300 and then go for lunch at their club in London, that's why they will kill the idea. If it has to be Birmingham should be somewhere classy, but close to the people, Star City maybe.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Beware of what you ask for. In London they are proposing tp demolish a grade 2 listed building for their comfort. If it came to Birmingham then they might decide to "improve" Aston Hall and cover the park with car parks for their Rolls Royces

oldMohawk

master brummie
If they did move to Brum and after HS2 is finished they could pop up from London, clock-in for their £300 daily expenses and then back to London in time for a late lunch. They might want the Birmingham House of Lords to be next to the HS2 station.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Beware of what you ask for. In London they are proposing tp demolish a grade 2 listed building for their comfort. If it came to Birmingham then they might decide to "improve" Aston Hall and cover the park with car parks for their Rolls Royces
true mike..i would not put it past em...:joy: send em to the Fair Isle