• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New gallery barwick st 1893

HATELEY

master brummie
I am trying to identify where this buisness was situated in Barwick St at the back of The Grand Hotel. Does anyone have access to a Kellys from this era?

Or does anyone have any info on the New Gallery what it was used for for instance. I know Frederick Rinder held an important meeting in the history of Aston Villa there in 1893

but little else.

The New Art Gallery Assembly Rooms are listed in Kellys in 1895 and 1897, but not 1899 or 1892 (the entries for Kellys could refer to up to a year before the publication date). The building wasa on the north-west side of the street in towards the middle ofthe buildings between Church St and Livery St, as shown by the area behind the re, d line . I would think it would be either of the buildings marked in blue on the map below. One (A) is on the street and the other (B) accessed via a covered archway. Below is also a picture of that part of the street taken , I should think, in the 1960s. The buildings (now gone) look as if they were the ones present in the 1890s, and the first large building on the left of the screen looks like A on the map. B would be accessed via the gate immediately to the right of A.

Barwick2520St2520rt.jpg

map_c_1917_Barford_st_showing_the_area_in_which_New_Gallery_was_.jpg

I found this in the Birmingham Daily Post - Friday 2nd December 1892
John Simmons applying for a Music and Dancing License - New Gallery, Barwick Street

Attachments

• new_gallery_fri_2_dec_1892.JPG
    new_gallery_fri_2_dec_1892.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 9
This advert from Thursday 2nd Feb 1893 for a lecture from the Birmingham Fabian Society gives the address as New Gallery, Barwick Street, Livery Street

Attachments

• new_gallery_thurs_2_feb_1893.JPG
    new_gallery_thurs_2_feb_1893.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 10
I can see quite a few reports and adverts for meetings held at the New Gallery - including the Aston Villa one in 1893.

On Monday 9th December 1895 John Simmons, New Gallery, Barwick Street appears on the list of Theatrical Licenses Renewals - License granted.

It seems the New Gallery was perhaps an entertainment venue that was also available to hire for meetings etc.

Is this the meeting you wanted? From the Birmingham Daily Post Friday 17th February 1893

Attachments

• new_gallery__February_172C_1893_part_1.JPG
    new_gallery__February_172C_1893_part_1.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 8
  • new_gallery__February_172C_1893_part_2.JPG
    new_gallery__February_172C_1893_part_2.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 6
Adjourned meeting from The Birmingham Daily Post - Wednesday 22nd February 1893

Attachments

• new_gallery_Wednesday2C_February_22_part_2.JPG
    new_gallery_Wednesday2C_February_22_part_2.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 5