• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Canal street

dek carr

gone but not forgotten
Today being a beautiful day took me back some 50 years to the sweet smell of New Canal Street. The Skin and Hide building between Fazeley St and Bordesley St who can remember it on a hot sunny day. Dek

And this is what the site looks like today.

This picture is a panorama of New Canal St (taken on the steps of Curzon Street station) looking towards Fazeley Street and Bordesley Street

It is a wide picture so you will need to use your scroll bar at the bottom of the browser widow to see all of it

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=52205899&postcount=34

I have taken a load of pictures of the this area (Eastside) over the last few months and you can see them here:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1024483

Hi Quilbert
regarding new cannal street ,yes i can recall a tranquill day along new cannal street
when it was an old cobbled street and i certainly do remember the old hide and skin
when we used to be the old fire alarm stand box on the street along with the police box
where you would smash the glass and raise the alarm to the fire station at central
and also my grand parents the jelfs used to run the big transport coffee shop there on the end
facing bordesly street it had fifteen rooms for the transport drivers to stay over night
drivers from the country whom would bring cattle to the hide and skin yard
just afew yards from there yard and right next door was lorry driver from london
to deliver to typoo tea ;
the owners of he old hide and skin would come around and asked to borrow old jacko the dog
every time they seen a rat in there yard
my grand parents was the jelfs ; [ ernest jelf and victoria jelf . nee hinton ]
they had a garden at the rea of th property which was ther garage and it was the opening into typootea side yard and the hide and skin yard wich i used to walk into and see the men doing
also every sunday i would watch men come down from the old bull ring walking down the cattle by the hundreds un sunday morning and afternoons .
some would run ff bordesly st some would run back out of the yard
that ws so many they would hogg the whole road even stop and lopk in the spotted dog pub windows
and our coffee shop windows for a while until the men shoved them along
yes in those days it was a sunny quite street the coffee shop front door was alway open even on sundays
with the net curtains all steam up and the smell of tea from the urn
there used to be a big engineering firm on the corner i think it used to be chaberlin and hookers befor he was
it became delict for at least forty years or or more then the cash and carry bought it and expanded in bussiness
and is still there today ; unfortunatly there shop was demolish many years ago and turned into a car park
when you get to the corner the whole area of that space you can phyicly se was all there ground
so you can see about the back garden going to the hide and skin yard
but yes it was a nice quite tranquil rd in those days not like today ;
best wishes Astonian ;;

I would have thought those cattle would be on their way to Bradford Street meat market & not The hide & skin yard ?, the hides ended up there probably the following day & I remember the stink of the whole area back in the early 60's

That photo is a real monster panorama. Lots to drool over on that, even if most of the old stuff has gone.The 'Eagle and Tun' on the far left of the picture has been closed for at least four years now. I did go in just once before and had a half of Guinness - nothing else I fancied there. The one on the far right is the Woodman, which has been struggling on for years now. Two years ago the guv'nor was most put out because thieves had nicked the whole fireplace out of the nice comfy back lounge.
The picture does have a few relics for us. I was shuffling round there not long ago and found the road (Fox Street) which you can see to the left of The Woodman, going up the hill from Albert Street. Half way up you can see some old brick buildings, which turned the corner into Buck Street, but the end one was in Fox Street on the hill itself.
The next road after Fox Street was Bartholomew Row, which once faced on to St Bartholomew’s church and graveyard. It is not very long since the facades of the decrepit buildings facing Bartholomew Road and Albert Street were demolished, but it would have been very difficult to find a sensible use for them.
[FONT=&quot]Scrolling left round the picture, you see the remains of Banbury Street, with a post-and-rail fence each side, going up to Albert Street (formerly Duddeston Row). Running from that junction roughly parallel with New Canal Street is Bartholomew Street and further away still is Park Street.
Peter Walker
[/FONT]

HI IZZY ;
I was reffering to the early years long before the sixty we are on about the post war
and during the 40.s and fifties ; what they used to do was to bring the cattle down from the bull ring quarter
along meridan st into new cannal street there are the railway bridge on new cannal street
they used have them penned in there and then when they was ready they would walk them down to the skinners yard my mother and grand parets lived virtualy next door in fact 4 doors
and it was always on a sunday morning and a sunday day after noon
i used to wait for tem to come along from the front step
bringing them out onto new cannal street and pursue them into he skinners yard
some times sheep ; some time pigs some time or should i say most of the time it was cows
and more often than most the one or two would escape and the men would have to run after them
but when they came right up tothe front door or the house and shop windows i would be scared and i would jump down grand mother used to laugh at me for doing this
when i was a kid we used to spend alot of time out at cow honeybourne where they had the family farm
and the little thatch cottage it was really old it had no electric in those days we used to have a well for our water
and keep bee hives the only light was big long candle in the three tear candlarby in each room
but even then i was scared of cows grand father or the workers or my father used to say to us and my brother lets bring the cows down from the field for milking , but i was the only one whom would not go down the lane to fetch them for milking the rest of my brother used to help drive them down the lane to the sheds ,
but not me .i would stand behind the gate and peer through until hey was all in the milking sheds
but getting back on track thats where they went into the hide and skin and thats where they done the bussiness
i used to go into the yard with grand father from time to time and i seen all the bones and every think
and it most certainly did stink and blooding flowing around
have a nice day best wishes Astonian ;

3 back of 88 New Canal street was my grandparent's house. Has anyone got an old map showing where it was? Thanks frothy.

frothy my grand parents and my mother was brought up at number 1 new cannal street so i recon it was towards fazely street
it will be intresting to see this map and number 1 was a Bed and breakfast coffee house for lorry drivers and it was on the corner of bordesly street and facing a little garage and next to the lard factory ;and faceing there was the dog pub ;
i reckon it was next to the new cannal dogs home or the hide and skin ;next to the cafe there was a house which i think was number 2 or 3 ;
perhaps higgins can place it ; best wishes astonian;

Can show you which were back 88, in red below, but no idea what numbering in the court was

map_x_1889_showing_houses_back_no_88.jpg

Me again. Would like to see an old street map showing 96 Floodgate street where me mom was born. Thanks.

Frothy
Can't give you a map for what exactly the area was like in as much detail as the other for the time you would be interested , as a few changes occurred between c 1889 & 1910. So below is a larger scale map for c1889 and a smaller scale one for c 1910. The building (in red) itself seems to be the same in those two years, but there have been some demolitions around it. The only building remaining today seems to be what was the White Swan on the corner

map_c_1889_no_96_floodgate_st.jpg

map_c_1910__no_96_floodgate_st.jpg

Frothy
Someone has asked me previously for houses back 88, . Am not sure which is no 3 but map is below.

map_x_1889_showing_houses_back_no_88~0.jpg

Back