• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Book: Messages from the Unseen - Edwardian afterlife diary of Emma Holden

KJB

Hi all,

sorry for the long post - but I thought some members might be interested in a new book...by me !

Recently I've been studying Birmingham's celebrated Holden family and the life of Edith Holden - and discovered details of a hidden side to them, which is not generally publicised.
Through my research, I was so taken by the truth of their 'real' lives, that I've published everything in a new book - which shares more about them than has been published before.

For those who might not know about Edith Holden, here is a little background...

Just over 100 years ago the Holden family were living in Olton. They were a family of nine - Arthur Holden, his wife Emma, their two sons and five daughters. Their third daughter Edith, worked part time as a school teacher in Solihull, but spent her free time painting the countryside and wildlife in the local area. She frequently travelled by train to Scotland - where she had studied art - and compiled illustrated diaries of her botanical observations, both there and at home. Edith later became famous for her diaries, but only 60 years after she had died...

In 1977, a reprint of her 1906 illustrated 'Country Diary' became an international bestseller, making Edith Holden a household name in many countries. By the 1980's millions of copies were sold, and soon a small industry was created, as Edith's artwork began to appear on dinner services, linen, craft items, soap, wallpaper and stationary.

Central television even commissioned a 12-part biographical mini-series, broadcast in 1984, which focussed on Edith's life - and untimely death, at the age of just 48. All this attention still brings many visitors to Edith's family home on Kineton Green Road, which was filmed for the series. The entire series is available to watch on Youtube.
There are still many thousands of Edith Holden fans all around the world, and her name typed into an Internet search fills the screen with results.

----------------------------------------------

My own research into the Holden's began after I bought a nondescript old book, in an online auction for just a few pounds.
Although written anonymously, I eventually discovered that this was a journal written by Edith's own father, Arthur Holden.

Privately published in 1913 and apparently in small number, entitled 'Messages from the Unseen' it contained some very personal and surprising Holden family communications, written in diary form over a five year period.

Many Edwardian families - especially around wartime - had an interest in communicating with the afterlife through Spirit mediums, and it is documented that the Holden's were no different.

After careful research, I learned that after Emma Holden died in 1904 - when Edith was only 32 - the whole family began to engage in regular seances to speak to her once more. Not only that, but it was Edith herself who mainly acted as the Spirit medium, during these private family seances.
Aside from this, I learned more about the Holden's activities, who their friends were, their interests and who their extended family were. None of this information had been published outside of the 1913 original.

I knew a few of my friends might be interested in their story, but the book was so dated, with language we just don't use today. So I took the plunge and decided to edit it, and have it republished.

After two years work, the finished book came out in January. It contains the entire journal of Spirit messages received from Edith's mother Emma, with messages from their deceased friends and family. I have designed and included a new Holden family tree, previously unpublished photographs, together with all my research notes and a new index.

The one thing that strikes me about the Holden's - beyond their sibling rivalry, social status and education - is how close they all were, and how very Spiritual. It was interesting to realise that whilst Edith Holden was creating her famous 'Nature Notes for 1906' - at the same time, her father was compiling this very different diary of his own. I think it deserves some recognition, if only for their dedication.

This book has received great reviews, from those interested in geneology, social history and spiritual matters. It's a fascinating insight into a known West Midlands family and, I feel it's almost a guide book to death and what we might expect to happen afterwards - written with innocence, intelligence and good humour !
It is republished as "Messages from the Unseen - the Edwardian Afterlife Diary of Emma Holden."
Published in paperback by Psychic Book Club with an ISBN of 978-0957500709 it is available from their website
www.psychicbookclub.com

I would love to hear from forum members on this, especially those who are familiar with the Holden's. I would be very interested to hear, if possible, from anyone who knows anymore about them, and perhaps even the current owners of their Kineton Green Road home.

Cheers,
Karl :)

Hi Berniew,

yes that's it...
The Arthur Holden Works is still there...he started the firm in the 1860's on Bradford Street.
The current firm were kind enough to help me with my research...they have a portrait of Arthur on their reception wall !

It's great to see his name still emblazoned over the door...

Cheers
Karl

I have a copy of the 1977 reprint. I ran a small department store at one time - which was my principal job - which had a book section. I took great interest in books and decided which books we would stock. We sold hundreds of Ediths' books locally and to visitors.
I had great empathy with the book as I knew the Warwickshire areas she wrote of and of course the Devon ones. My memories of the Warwickshire areas were little changed during my childhood (pre 1950) from hers. It was just the townscapes which had altered. Actually in 1980 I drove around the areas just south of Birmingham - Henley-in-Arden, Earlswood, Knowle, Shirley and so on and found that after around twenty five years everywhere seems very familiar.

Back