• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Bbc Series

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monday 30 April at 7.30pm: Civilisations Stories: Innovation And Inspiration In Birmingham

On Monday 30 April, BBC1 West Midlands will be showing a programme about Birmingham in the 18th century. Malcolm Dick, Jonathan Reinarz and Caroline Archer-Parré were interviewed as part of the programme, Civilisations Stories: Innovation And Inspiration In Birmingham, which accompanies the landmark BBC 2 series Civilisations and is presented by Mark Williams.

More information can be found at:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2018/18/civilisations-stories-west-mids

Thanks for posting that Mike. One to record and we probably would have missed it as it's on quite early in the evening. Glad Mark Williams is presenting the programme.

In the programme it mentions the anti-slavery medallion, with the inscription “Am I not a man and a brother,” in connection with Josiah Wedgwood.

It also mentions that there was another, but much less seen, with the inscription, “Am I not a woman and a sister.” I believe, although open to contradiction, that this medallion took its inspiration from Wedgwood, but was not produced by the man himself.

I was glad to see Robert Mynors included in the programme. I spent some time trying to trace and 18th Century surgeon and he cropped up many times. He practised in Birmingham for some 40 years and as the programme says pioneered trepanning of the skull. He lived in later years at Weatheroak Hall, Alvechurch, which I believe is still standing.
I also learned that Josiah Wedgewood lost a leg - didn't seem to deter him though did it?

Back in Time for the Factory, first shown 3rd September episode 1 of 4.

"A group of modern women are going back in time to the 60s, 70s and 80s to work and live through three decades of British factory life and learn how an unsung army of female workers took on the fight for equality at work and at home. "

(amended to 1 of 4)

Last edited:
thanks pedro been waiting for this series..did not realise it had started so will watch the first one on catch up

lyn

Back in Time for the Factory, first shown 3rd September episode 1 of 4.

"A group of modern women are going back in time to the 60s, 70s and 80s to work and live through three decades of British factory life and learn how an unsung army of female workers took on the fight for equality at work and at home. "

(amended to 1 of 4)

The first three episodes, for the 60s and 70s, have shown how women were treated as second class citizens, and the fight for equal pay.

Does anyone have memories concerning Birmingham?

Back